Canada isn't morally superior

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I've never never after ten or more years understood.....

....why it is so important to point out imperfections in the systems the U.S. operates under.

How does it impact Canada negatively?

It at least gives you something to grizzle about on forums but really it comes off as so lame and I believe Canadians should have no problem if Americans want to flush themselves into a global toilet or not.

What's the point of these high and mighty opinions? The internet has revealed some news to the U.S. people about Canada as well, but they don't make consistent long topics of critiquing the Canadian standard of life or preferences.

It's frequency begins to seem neurotic like looking for bugs in a salad.

Other than the praise for the Canadian Olympics the absolute discussion "of the moment" was Ann Coulter in Ottawa (or whichever university she made an ass of herself)....

Why not rejoice Canadian government and its people do not operate in tandem with what the U.S. government/people do and you should be glad seeing how things turn out (or not) when practiced by your southern neighbor.

Personally I'm thrilled they are so different - I would never have left Canada if I was going to experience the same things moving to the U.S. I enjoy the differences and some days feel "superior" and some days feel "inferior"...but what the heck...who cares?

Non???????

YouTube - Unspeakably Stupid and Annoying Buffoons on Faux News Disrespect Canada, Soldiers.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I've never never after ten or more years understood.....

....why it is so important to point out imperfections in the systems the U.S. operates under.

How does it impact Canada negatively?

It at least gives you something to grizzle about on forums but really it comes off as so lame and I believe Canadians should have no problem if Americans want to flush themselves into a global toilet or not.

What's the point of these high and mighty opinions? The internet has revealed some news to the U.S. people about Canada as well, but they don't make consistent long topics of critiquing the Canadian standard of life or preferences.

It's frequency begins to seem neurotic like looking for bugs in a salad.

Other than the praise for the Canadian Olympics the absolute discussion "of the moment" was Ann Coulter in Ottawa (or whichever university she made an ass of herself)....

Why not rejoice Canadian government and its people do not operate in tandem with what the U.S. government/people do and you should be glad seeing how things turn out (or not) when practiced by your southern neighbor.

Personally I'm thrilled they are so different - I would never have left Canada if I was going to experience the same things moving to the U.S. I enjoy the differences and some days feel "superior" and some days feel "inferior"...but what the heck...who cares?

Would you deny every other nation the right, nay joy of aspiring to the number one position and therefore condemn us to second place for all eternity? Don't you understand our nature commands us to emulate our illustrious neighbour and excell, even unto conquest and subjugation of that once bosom cousin buddy. We Canadians are genetically and environmentally conditioned to rebel by no less than mother nature, it's nothing personal, the birds and the bees do it and the fishes in the deep blue sea, we have no choice, it's Americas fault. We are morally superior because of that positive natural progression which America itself enjoyed in 1776. It's time for us to grasp the torch from Americas failing hand, thankyou.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
DaSleeper

Nice comparison to bolster the argument - I'm not "up to speed" with Red Eye - not that I would be enlightened by them.

If I was the U.S. I would cater to the friendship side of Canada now that they've riled up Mexico.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Would you deny every other nation the right, nay joy of aspiring to the number one position and therefore condemn us to second place for all eternity? Don't you understand our nature commands us to emulate our illustrious neighbour and excell, even unto conquest and subjugation of that once bosom cousin buddy. We Canadians are genetically and environmentally conditioned to rebel by no less than mother nature, it's nothing personal, the birds and the bees do it and the fishes in the deep blue sea, we have no choice, it's Americas fault.

Aw heck Beaver - be Number One - take it - then you can take all the blowdry talking heads on the tube with it...puhleeze.

Canada has always been number one in my book - I grew up there, was schooled there, my family's there....(except for the Snowbirds - I hope they're not fighting with the Mexicans in Arizona - maybe just passing out good Canadian Beer to them).

America is filled with people from all over the world. Nobody "made" Americans - they just "happened".... much like Canada "happened".... and they chose different paths....nobody's better.....

Canada's wealth lies in its natural resources and land, the U.S.'s wealth lies in its people and (previously) their ability to create corporate and financial magic worldwide. In addition, I still appreciate their military ( but they seem to belong to the U.N. these days).

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Aw heck Beaver - be Number One - take it - then you can take all the blowdry talking heads on the tube with it...puhleeze.

Canada has always been number one in my book - I grew up there, was schooled there, my family's there....(except for the Snowbirds - I hope they're not fighting with the Mexicans in Arizona - maybe just passing out good Canadian Beer to them).

America is filled with people from all over the world. Nobody "made" Americans - they just "happened".... much like Canada "happened".... and they chose different paths....nobody's better.....

Canada's wealth lies in its natural resources and land, the U.S.'s wealth lies in its people and (previously) their ability to create corporate and financial magic worldwide. In addition, I still appreciate their military ( but they seem to belong to the U.N. these days).

We all belong to the bankers Curiosity even the swaddled babies and the little old ladies. Debt evens all. We have a problem though, ice age, we need a quarter million acres of good cannabis lands and we're the biggest users on the planet. Almost the identicle thing happened to Rome.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Just keep in mind that if Harper was in power at the time, we'd be in Iraq at this very moment (ie: his plagiarized speech he took from Australia's PM's speech about joining in Iraq)

Maybe not. According to John McCallum's former aide (from McCallum's tenure as Minister of National Defense), when the US called all its allies, Canada wasn't asked by Donald Rumsfeld to send troops/support to the impending invasion of Iraq, in large part because the US knew our commitments in Afghanistan had pretty much utilized all our available resources. That Chretien and the federal Liberals spin this into something that they claim was based on their moral fibre is repugnant.

The Liberal stance on the missile defence program was assinine: it was something that they wanted to do anyway, it wasn't going to require much material assitance from Ottawa, so why not sign on with them and give Canadian high tech companies a chance to be involved in the project?

I think that these statements provide some of the most accurate assessment I have seen of the subject:

(Anti-Americanism by Canadian politicians) reveals much about what Canadian international policy has become, in a general sense. Instead of being about advancing the national interest, foreign policy is perceived by many politicians as an extension of domestic partisan politics.
Despite the similarities between Canadian and American values and interests, much of the Canadian elite nevertheless believes that its values are fundamentally different from those of their American counterparts.

That people are willing to accept this attitude from the federal gov't is baffling to me. Foreign policy is to protect and advance the needs of the nation, not just partisan agenda of the sitting gov't. It requires foresight, awareness of ALL the factors in play and objectivity. Harper, for all his warts and failings has fulfilled that part of his job description much better than Martin or Chretien.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Wulfie68

Finally a politician doing what the people want - not what is "expedient" in the eyes of other nations. Good for him.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quoting Avro

Would Canada be fighting in Iraq today had Harper been PM?
The canadian navy which is part of US carrier lead battle groups is fully active in the gulf and have been all along. Some goes for some of our radar teams.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The internet has revealed some news to the U.S. people about Canada as well, but they don't make consistent long topics of critiquing the Canadian standard of life or preferences.

then where'd the OP come from?

:lol:

I think ironsides was bored and looking to beat a hornet's nest. lol.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
then where'd the OP come from?

:lol:

I think ironsides was bored and looking to beat a hornet's nest. lol.

Karrie

On a slow news day perhaps?

I see it as a "doing biz as usual" when politicians snipe at other nations - comparing their "success" with another's problems perhaps leading to failure.

What the international community doesn't seem to get is the U.S. has pretty much expended the source of revenue from the people - our pockets are empty and in order to continue being top dog or whatever the insecurities of the guys who sit in the White House nurture, the next decades are going to be dictated by the people rather than from the top down.

When the government refuses to assist the State (ie: Arizona) we revert back to the original premise of the nation - United States of America. An autonomous group operating within a larger one - or breaking bonds and doing what is best for the State itself rather than a silent participant in a desperate situation. The stats of what illegal immigration has done to the U.S. are at critical mass. I believe in immigration - done properly - with respect for both the nation and the applicant - and it works beautifully.

You take away the government's source of financing all their big deals and there are only a few left to pay the bills: those who pay taxes (legal residents), and other nations who will demand their fair share of profits and perks.

It's a tough lesson to learn.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010

I think with this response and the earlier response about Iraq, you're still missing my point a little. I'm not defending any specific actions or inactions by the US. Rather, I'm asking what should the US do with other "bad" countries like Egypt and Iraq?

Should the US be friends or be mortal enemies with them? With all the aid, the US is obviously on friendly terms with Egypt, and the US gets condemned for this as a great breach of morality. In the case of Saddam's Iraq, the US was mortal enemies, at least since the early 90s, (US supported sanctions and then invaded and overthrew Saddam's government), and yet the US got condemned for that as a great breach of morality as well.

My question is: what is the right way for the US to handle countries like these, since the US gets condemned no matter whether the US treats these countries leniently or harshly?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Good question Icarus

I have no answer but just a tired response: The U.S. has pretty much parlayed itself into bankruptcy trying to advance aid, military intervention, delay immigration overhaul with the open sesame insanity, and return to its bookeeping practices of keeping its own nation secure and healthy and accounted for.

Some immediate benefit would be realized in health plan coverage and education reform overhaul.

You just can't "buy" real friends - it lowers your value and empowers those who can
play the game better.

Time to pull up the gangplanks....it will never happen ... but I still have hope.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
There are times when dealing with American tourists makes you want to build a wall at the border to keep them out. The problem is that it only takes a couple of obnoxious ones to label the whole bunch.

Hey it takes all types.

I can remember back in the day on Spring Break there was a big RV going down the strip with Canadian youths hanging out the side with a big Canadian flag yelling...

"CANADA #1! CANADA!"

I did not know what it meant then or really cared but I know where it comes from now.

Can you imagine American youths doing that up in Motreal?

All countries have d*** heads.