Canada isn't morally superior

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Right. But I'm thinking in more abstract terms about what's supporting a brutal regime and what's not. Is the US having an ambassador in Egypt an example of the US supporting Egypt's human rights violations? What would be the right thing for the US to do with a country that is somehow considered bad? Would it be something in between (1) giving them weapons and (2) overthrowing this bad country's government, either through invasion or special ops?

Some Americans consider the overthrowing of a government thing to be an act of charity. That is, actually confronting an oppressive regime. (Not me, but others see it that way.)

America has some human rights issues as well but America's support of Iraq is because of the Iranians. America backed Iraq in their war against Iran

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I guess the facts just don't mesh your ideology eh Libby?

Just keep in mind that if Harper was in power at the time, we'd be in Iraq at this very moment (ie: his plagiarized speech he took from Australia's PM's speech about joining in Iraq)

Regardless of how people view Jean or Martin or the Liberals (I'm not fan of the Liberals myself) regardless of what reasons Chretien had for his decisions, be that petty or logical.... in the end, he made the right choice in regards to the best interests of Canada and in regards to the US's Star Wars plans, Canada also made the right decision in not jumping on board with that idea.

Chretien said he saw no credible evidence for invading Iraq, he stood his ground when most others in the world didn't care about evidence and in the end, he was right and everybody who thought the invasion over WMD was justified, were clearly proven wrong in more ways then one.

Whether it was because he didn't like the US or Bush via Anti-Americanism, or through legit reasoning, in the end, he made the right decision for Canada and Canadians.

US officials and Canadian Conservative politicians and media outlets argued that:

".... But conservative commentators, politicians, and the business community criticized the government for substituting process for policy, letting down its closest ally, and risking American retaliation. Bush administration officials expressed disappointment and hinted at possible damage to the relationship."

Chretien, Bush, and the war in Iraq | American Review of Canadian Studies | Find Articles at BNET

They can complain all they want, but the "Process" exists for a reason and that reason is to prevent knee-jerk military reactions like the Iraq war based on fearmongering rather then evidence and facts..... and if others around the world stuck to the "process" and did things right, things wouldn't be so fuct up as they are today.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Just keep in mind that if Harper was in power at the time, we'd be in Iraq at this very moment (ie: his plagiarized speech he took from Australia's PM's speech about joining in Iraq)
You're point?

Because mine had nothing to do with the Iraq war.

in the end, he made the right choice

in the end, he made the right decision for Canada and Canadians.
Like playing a lottery. What if the US had invaded, and changed the regime, found WMD's and prevented countless deaths in the process?

Chretien said he saw no credible evidence for invading Iraq, he stood his ground when most others in the world didn't care about evidence and in the end, he was right and everybody who thought the invasion over WMD was justified, were clearly proven wrong in more ways then one.
This is true, but I'd be willing to bet my last dollar on the fact that he said that, for political points, not because he didn't actually see any proof.

The saddest 7 seconds in Canadian political history.

YouTube - (former) prime minister jean chretien explains...

things wouldn't be so fuct up as they are today.
Who says things are fuct up? What if this is exactly how they wanted it to play out?

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Interesting article, and absolutely dead on.

I noticed it was from March of 2006.

I think Harper has done an excellent job so far in foreign affairs, especially when compared to the former Liberal government.....he has somewhat repaired relations with the USA, without being slavish about it, he has been consistent in his support for Israel, he has ceased the embarassing and never-ending kissing of fascist arse in China, and in the UN......we have been diplomatically hostile to the lunatics in Iran..........and Harper has stepped up to the plate rapidly and effectively in disasters like Haiti........

Full points.....

Really?

Would Canada be fighting in Iraq today had Harper been PM?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Really?

Would Canada be fighting in Iraq today had Harper been PM?
I would like to know how kissing US's hairy butt is so patriotic? Harper is just a yes man to US interests. He is not much more than a US penis extension.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
..... Like playing a lottery. What if the US had invaded, and changed the regime, found WMD's and prevented countless deaths in the process?

Then I'd call that dumb luck, since they had no real evidence proving WMD indeed existed and would have been a complete fluke based on assumptions and fearmongering.

And I supposed I'd have to tip my hat to Bush on this magical and lucky discovery.... but since it didn't happen.....

This is true, but I'd be willing to bet my last dollar on the fact that he said that, for political points, not because he didn't actually see any proof.
I dunno.... I'm no super-being or saw all this magical evidence Bush and crew had that he showed Jean, but based on all the arguments given, based on all the photos and Sat. shots of the roof of hangers they paraded in news media to support their invasion, at the time, even I felt there wasn't any solid evidence to justify any invasion..... and after Jean's little meeting to go over all the available "Evidence" including the "Evidence" that couldn't be shown to the public and then him claiming he still didn't see anything of value to justify an invasion, my position solidified on the whole invasion being a farce.

And based on what we all know today, I highly doubt Jean had to use arguments for political points at this stage to come to a valid conclusion that it was all a pile of crap. He just had to speak his view based on the evidence and speaking the truth on the validity of the evidence automatically gave him political points..... ie: the political points were a bonus.

Who says things are fuct up? What if this is exactly how they wanted it to play out?
Who, the Americans? If so, then perhaps this is exactly how they wanted it to play out.... but in my personal view, it's all fuct up and shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
earth_as_one,

I find myself torn between whether the US is "supporting" regimes and whether the US is just "having diplomatic relations" with regimes.

Take Saddam Hussein's Iraq for example. If instead of invading Iraq in 2003, the US persued diplomacy with Iraq, even fighting to end UN sanctions, would that be a case of the US supporting the Hussein regime?

No it wouldn't. It woulde be an example of the US abiding by international law and ending the suffering of millions of Iraqis because of Iraq's non-existant WMD stockpiles.

Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq: We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price--we think the price is worth it.

--60 Minutes (5/12/96)

During the 1980's the US helped Iraq aquire WMDs and gave them military and economic aid to help them fight Iran. When Iraq gased the Kurds, US tried to blame the incident on Iran. Later when the rest of the world condemned and imposed sanctions on Iraq, the US refused to go along and worse, vowed to make up the difference in the name defending American business interests.

You tell me if this is US "supporting" regimes and whether the US is just "having diplomatic relations" with regimes.

Here are the ugly details
Shaking Hands with Saddam Hussein

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The Canadian Crisis, moral bankruptcy, the nation's in debt to the internationalist road House, all of the trees all of the soil and every drop of water belongs to bankers, and we the people are wage slaves, when we can get work. The beer's still fair though.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Then I'd call that dumb luck, since they had no real evidence proving WMD indeed existed and would have been a complete fluke based on assumptions and fearmongering.
They had tons, it all turned out to be fake mind you.

And I supposed I'd have to tip my hat to Bush on this magical and lucky discovery.... but since it didn't happen.....
Because it was a lie.

I dunno.... I'm no super-being or saw all this magical evidence Bush and crew had that he showed Jean, but based on all the arguments given, based on all the photos and Sat. shots of the roof of hangers they paraded in new media to support their invasion, at the time, even I felt there wasn't any solid evidence to justify any invasion..... and after Jean's little meeting to go over all the available "Evidence" including the "Evidence" that couldn't be shown to the public and then him claiming he still didn't see anything of value to justify an invasion, my position solidified on the whole invasion being a farce.
Fair enough. I guess you have more faith in the Liberal Party then you let on.

And based on what we all know today, I highly doubt Jean had to use arguments for political points at this stage to come to a valid conclusion that it was all a pile of crap.
Ain't hindsight awesome...:roll:
He just had to speak his view based on the evidence and speaking the lucky truth on the validity of the evidence automatically gave him political points..... ie: the political points were a bonus.
FIFY.

Who, the Americans? If so, then perhaps this is exactly how they wanted it to play out.... but in my personal view, it's all fuct up and shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Oh I agree, it was wrong, from where I sit. But who knows, this may be what they wanted.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I do think the mess in Iraq was the point of the invasion - a complete destabilization of the middle east.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
WMDs are way off topic in this thread Mr Bear. I have notified the staff of your grievous blatant deviation from the newly established good order.
You missed the mark beave. I didn't bring them into the equation, but feel free to do as you wish. Far be it from me to hinder you making a fool of yourself...:lol:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I've never never after ten or more years understood.....

....why it is so important to point out imperfections in the systems the U.S. operates under.

How does it impact Canada negatively?

It at least gives you something to grizzle about on forums but really it comes off as so lame and I believe Canadians should have no problem if Americans want to flush themselves into a global toilet or not.

What's the point of these high and mighty opinions? The internet has revealed some news to the U.S. people about Canada as well, but they don't make consistent long topics of critiquing the Canadian standard of life or preferences.

It's frequency begins to seem neurotic like looking for bugs in a salad.

Other than the praise for the Canadian Olympics the absolute discussion "of the moment" was Ann Coulter in Ottawa (or whichever university she made an ass of herself)....

Why not rejoice Canadian government and its people do not operate in tandem with what the U.S. government/people do and you should be glad seeing how things turn out (or not) when practiced by your southern neighbor.

Personally I'm thrilled they are so different - I would never have left Canada if I was going to experience the same things moving to the U.S. I enjoy the differences and some days feel "superior" and some days feel "inferior"...but what the heck...who cares?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've never never after ten or more years understood.....

....why it is so important to point out imperfections in the systems the U.S. operates under.

How does it impact Canada negatively?

It at least gives you something to grizzle about on forums but really it comes off as so lame and I believe Canadians should have no problem if Americans want to flush themselves into a global toilet or not.

What's the point of these high and mighty opinions? The internet has revealed some news to the U.S. people about Canada as well, but they don't make consistent long topics of critiquing the Canadian standard of life or preferences.

It's frequency begins to seem neurotic like looking for bugs in a salad.

Other than the praise for the Canadian Olympics the absolute discussion "of the moment" was Ann Coulter in Ottawa (or whichever university she made an ass of herself)....

Absolutely 100%- it doesn't matter how much sh*t someone else has on him- it doesn't make anyone else any cleaner.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Right. But I'm thinking in more abstract terms about what's supporting a brutal regime and what's not. Is the US having an ambassador in Egypt an example of the US supporting Egypt's human rights violations? What would be the right thing for the US to do with a country that is somehow considered bad? Would it be something in between (1) giving them weapons and (2) overthrowing this bad country's government, either through invasion or special ops?

Some Americans consider the overthrowing of a government thing to be an act of charity. That is, actually confronting an oppressive regime. (Not me, but others see it that way.)

Who appointed the US judge, jury and executioner?

Regarding the US and Egypt:
$50 billion later, taking stock of US aid to Egypt / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

Regarding Egypt and Torture
BBC NEWS | Middle East | Egypt torture centre, report says