Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm saying that instead of acting vigilante style, how about writting a letter to the world court to try him if there is a valid case agaisnt him. If however the argument is that we can't do that because the USA is too poweful, then rather than waste time on what we can't change, let's do something productive and petition Canada to withdraw from NATO. And if that fails, then obviously we too are complicit in this making the US too powerful, in which case we are partly to blame too.

None of us disagree with your sentiment.

But it does not disparage from the point that we can have perfectly lawful protests against whatever policy or people we choose and none of these protests warrant barring an individual from entry to the country unless there is some jurisprudence for it.

And Cheney decided himself not to come in. Why? Because he's afraid of protesters getting through a wall of law enforcement?

Please.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
International Law is a bad joke, rightfully ignored by every nation on earth when broader interests are involved. We are NOT a federation of nations, but a competitive world in which conflict often settles our most serious differences. There is no consensus on what ideas, what systems, what culture best serves the needs of man.

But only one operates on the foundation of the right of the individual, and the rule of law as passed down by the elected representatives of those individuals.

And it ain't the Chinese model, nor the Ba'athist model, nor the Islamic model, it is ONLY the model of the west.

War is diplomacy by other means, to paraphrase von Clauswitz.

Ever has it been so, and I fear greatly for our liberty and our "civilization" should it ever change.

You never ONCE heard me say (or read me write) that Cheney is a "good" man.

That's the problem. thinking as everything as a competition, it doesn't have to be. That type of thinking is why we have a billion people without any reliable access to food yet we have the ability to feed the entire world and then some.
Why aren't you in support of working together as a human species towards the betterment of all of our standards of living? You talk as "our civilization" is all perfect, and anything else are mongrel civilizations, non-human. Your type of thinking is backwards and retards our ability to improve as a species.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

But it does not disparage from the point that we can have perfectly lawful protests against whatever policy or people we choose and none of these protests warrant barring an individual from entry to the country unless there is some jurisprudence for it.

And Cheney decided himself not to come in. Why? Because he's afraid of protesters getting through a wall of law enforcement?

Please.

I will agree that we are taking his word for it that Canada is dangerous for him, and I'm sure he's exaggerating.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I'm saying that instead of acting vigilante style, how about writting a letter to the world court to try him if there is a valid case agaisnt him. If however the argument is that we can't do that because the USA is too poweful, then rather than waste time on what we can't change, let's do something productive and petition Canada to withdraw from NATO. And if that fails, then obviously we too are complicit in this making the US too powerful, in which case we are partly to blame too.

People say one bad apple spoils the bunch, but I am far too miserly to throw out a bunch of perfectly good apples because one went rotten.

Similarly, I am not going to paint all the protesters as vigilantes because one jerk started to choke a service staff member.

Bear in mind that you don't need to write a letter to the world court. Under Article 5 of the Convention Against Torture, Canada should try Cheney in a Court of law if we believe that Maher Arar's treatment amounted to torture (we do, it is a matter of public record) and that Cheney had such ties to the CIA that would make him liable.

Now, letters are a good idea, and there certainly was a letter writing campaign to our government, but nothing gets as much publicity as a protest. Unfortunately, it just takes one person to paint a protest black in the minds of many.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think is was Pierre Burton who said Canadians respect the law but they hold contempt
for the people who made the law. or something like that. personally I think its window
dressing on Cheney's part no one is going to do him harm in this country its just many
Canadians revile him and they have no respect for him. On the other hand I don't think
he should be admonished so severely, as to feel threatened. He has not been singled
out officially as a war criminal therefore that is the opinion of some people but not a
judicial fact. I personally don't like the guy, I would never consider buying his book but
at the same time I don't like the reputation of being a nation of intolerance. If someone
is deemed to be a danger or a person that inflames racial hatred or whatever that is a
matter for the courts, and Immigration to decide on entry to Canada. People fearing to
come here is another matter, especially when officially in the eyes of the law they have
committed no crime is another matter.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It is probably because ticket sales weren't enough to satisfy his bloated ego.

Now that's a protest I can agree to. Well, in my case it's not so much a matter of protesting so much as not considering it worth the cash.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
People still paying attention to this Dick?

Some of these Republicans seem to be living rent-free in a lot of skulls for no apparent reason to me. :lol:

Might I suggest going outside and enjoy this early spring brought to you by global warming.

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor...

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Cheney says Canada ‘too dangerous’ for visit

Cheney says Canada ‘too dangerous’ for visit | The Raw Story

that is superb news. Stay home and leave Canada alone. Don't want you, don't need you, don't respect you, anymore than we would your garden variety war criminal. Canada does not need any of his toxicity be it via his presence or his words.

He is NOT WELCOME here and seems to finally get it. It has nothing to do with any potential violence to him ........as he is not worth it. There is no trophy in doing him any harm. And Canada does not assassinate . The protests were a statement to him that we do not welcome "criminals" even if they have not been charged. (but their crimes are obvious to anyone with a brain)

This decision on his part is probably the ONLY SMART one he has made. So cudos for that.

Last edited:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
This seems to be the way of the enlightened left...They believe in free speech ...but only speech that meets their aproval...
Muzzle and keep from speaking anyone that disagree...
A polite person would call them disingenuous.....But i'm not polite .....they are just damned hypocrites .....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Good.

Stay the hell out and keep your idiot friends with you.

I bet you have no idea why that is so funny.

You should take Loc's advice.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I seriously doubt that Cheney's decision not to come to Canada will hurt our reputation considering the contempt in which the man is held around the world.

And just to inject a bit of levity into the 'discussion' this photo appeared in the NP today in a column by Kelly McParland. Probably the only one they could find where the obviously chubby Cheney is seen running.

The caption appearing below the photos stated:

Dick Cheney runs for his life after being told there were angry Canadians in the crowd.

You would do well to speak for yourself only, mf.

disparage: mock, scorn, ridicule, belittle, laugh at

Perhaps you meant to say - deviate or diverge?

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
"Where is that wascally wabbit??" ...and Canada is safer for it.

LOL.........indeed. Actually, Dickie is a danger to Canada.....;Toxic content is illegal and dangerous to any population. He will NOT be missed. There are plenty of constructive leaders and former leaders that are more than welcome in Canada.

but read the fine print: He made this positive choice himself. Canada did not refuse him entry. Nor would it. Canada is bigger than that.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
for what it is worth: Canada and "dangerous" do not belong in the same sentence.;-) :canada: (unless one is trapped in an igloo , or achieves bodily harm via extreme winter sports )

that is what makes this so silly. It also goes to the character of the man himself. Courage is a foreign word for the guy who lurked behind the scenes , pulling strings and attained the name DARK Vader. Very appropo.

Someone mentioned his age. Irrelavant. His deeds ..known and unknown to the public are the measure of his personhood. IF there truly was a proper international law ......we know where he would be. There is plenty of evidence for it too. But he like many wealthy and "influential" in the US are governed by selective laws .....Not fair , but the facts.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
To those who think Cheney needs to be kept out of Canada by all means.

It's un-American to silence Limbaugh - CNN.com

I realize that in some corners we don't like to think of "Canadian" values as similar or identical to "American" ones but it still holds. What the author says about Limbaugh can apply to Cheney or others, namely :

Free speech means tolerating views that you despise. Otherwise, one day, it will be your views that someone doesn't like. If you don't stand up for Limbaugh's liberty today, someone may come for yours tomorrow. Discredit him, but don't silence him.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
this has nothing to do with free speach. It has everything to do with what the man stands for on the basis of his war loving attitude , and how he supports things like TORTURE, ELECTIVE WARS. INHUMANE treatment of prisoners that have been held without charges for protracted periods of time ,and for his irrational stance on what are humanitarian issues ......which he has no time for.

In reality he is a war criminal. Not charged. In that sense he qualifies for residency in Gitmo. at the very least.

There is nothng wrong with CDN protestors making a statement against the various issues described above embodied in the man representing them.

The toxicity I refer to is what is described above.

The reality is : no one is refusing him entry. He has decided to make Canada a threat to him by vocalizing such silliness. The sorry bloke is paranoid.

Limbaugh's....

this has nothing to do with Limbaugh. He like everyone else has freedom of speach. He like many others abuse the privilege via rudeness and stupidity. He is irrelavent to the topic. Furthermore....who one earth bothers to even listen to him??

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
for what it is worth: Canada and "dangerous" do not belong in the same sentence.;-) :canada: (unless one is trapped in an igloo , or achieves bodily harm via extreme winter sports )

that is what makes this so silly. It also goes to the character of the man himself. Courage is a foreign word for the guy who lurked behind the scenes , pulling strings and attained the name DARK Vader. Very appropo.

Someone mentioned his age. Irrelavant. His deeds ..known and unknown to the public are the measure of his personhood. IF there truly was a proper international law ......we know where he would be. There is plenty of evidence for it too. But he like many wealthy and "influential" in the US are governed by selective laws .....Not fair , but the facts.

I only referenced his age and infirmity because of the rabid, idiotic crowds he was expected to face.....

i agree he is NOT a nice man, it would be really good if he read the US Constitution.

i would have NO problem if the Canadian gov't chose to keep him out, we have every right to keep out ANYONE we don't want on a whim, for no reason, or for any reason. It is our sandbox.....but if he is let in, if you don't like him, protest in a peaceful, legitimate way that does NOT interfere with his right to speak....he has not been convicted of anything.

But the left can't deal with controversy...

Pew: Liberals most intolerant online « Hot Air

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
BEing intolerant of warmongering arrogant folks that give the US a bad name is not a party issue. (ie Not a lib or repug)

Being intolerant of someone that is in fact a war criminal......but protected due to how the law differs for those with money , priv. and the regular guy...... is also not a party issue.

Canada is a lot more careful about who it refuses to allow in. One cannot do that without just cause. or on a whim. and not lose the nations reputation on the world stage.