Canada is too dangerous for Dick Cheney

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
At the end of the day the question is: do you believe in the presumption of innocence?

If so, why has he not been charged yet. If you are indeed correct, certainly a petition to the world court ought to suffice, right?

Basically because the USA is world's only superpower and they do what they want regardless of laws. It's not just Cheney but the entire Bush administration that have committed these crimes. Also not everyone sees these as crimes, there are more people like Colpy who thinks he's a good man for massacring a bunch Muslims.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
You fail to make a point. Cheney is quite free to come to Canada to speak, nobody is keeping him out. He has elected not to come because of the protests against him. Protests that should be sanctioned in a free and democratic society, the sort of protests that Galloway also faced: Galloway speech survives protests at York University | CTV News

That isn't debate, Colpy. That is ranting and pointless mud slinging.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Basically because the USA is world's only superpower and they do what they want regardless of laws. It's not just Cheney but the entire Bush administration that have committed these crimes. Also not everyone sees these as crimes, there are more people like Colpy who thinks he's a good man for massacring a bunch Muslims.

International Law is a bad joke, rightfully ignored by every nation on earth when broader interests are involved. We are NOT a federation of nations, but a competitive world in which conflict often settles our most serious differences. There is no consensus on what ideas, what systems, what culture best serves the needs of man.

But only one operates on the foundation of the right of the individual, and the rule of law as passed down by the elected representatives of those individuals.

And it ain't the Chinese model, nor the Ba'athist model, nor the Islamic model, it is ONLY the model of the west.

War is diplomacy by other means, to paraphrase von Clauswitz.

Ever has it been so, and I fear greatly for our liberty and our "civilization" should it ever change.

You never ONCE heard me say (or read me write) that Cheney is a "good" man.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Then why target Cheney if there is nothing we can do about it? Instead, how about targeting our membership in NATO and NORAD so as to weaken the US' superpower status by a little at least.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
At the end of the day the question is: do you believe in the presumption of innocence?

If so, why has he not been charged yet. If you are indeed correct, certainly a petition to the world court ought to suffice, right?

For the same reason that Frances Townsend hasn't been charged with material support for terrorism despite taking money from, and advocating on behalf of Mujahideen-e Khalq: unequal application of the law based on class. The Spanish opened a lawsuit to look into it, and Obama lobbied them to stop it based on his decree of "Look Forwards, Not Backwards".

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
For the same reason that Frances Townsend hasn't been charged with material support for terrorism despite taking money from, and advocating on behalf of Mujahideen-e Khalq: unequal application of the law based on class. The Spanish opened a lawsuit to look into it, and Obama lobbied them to stop it based on his decree of "Look Forwards, Not Backwards".

Like I said, if the US is so unfair, then rather than target one man, how about we target the policies that allow this to happen. Let's withdraw our membership from NATO and NORAD for example.

But to target Cheney personally in an aggressive street protest just makes us look like idiots.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
But to target Cheney personally in an aggressive street protest just makes us look like idiots.

I'm pretty sure no one but you and Colpy thinks Canadians are idiots for protesting known unknown guy. And putting this one protest within the greater context of U.S. policy is a red herring.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure no one but you and Colpy thinks Canadians are idiots for protesting known unknown guy.

????

Again, if any person reserves the right to declare Cheney a criminal, then do I have a right to decide whom I think is criminal or not and just start acting vigilanty style at will?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Again, if any person reserves the right to declare Cheney a criminal, then do I have a right to decide whom I think is criminal or not and just start acting vigilanty style at will?

No, of course not.

We're talking about regular protests here.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I'm pretty sure no one but you and Colpy thinks Canadians are idiots for protesting known unknown guy. And putting this one protest within the greater context of U.S. policy is a red herring.

I have NO problem with people protesting....please do! It is your right to make sure your voice is heard......which is why I contrasted the anti-Galloway protests with the anti-Cheney protests (or anti-Netanyahu, or anti-Coulter). The former included (as far as I can see) people shouting slogans and carrying signs........as is their right, and totally in accordance with custom and the ethics of peaceful protest.

If you find anything different, I'd love to hear about it!

Contrast that with the attacks and threats of violence from the left.

Then tell me again about the "conversation" we should be having.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Contrast that with the attacks and threats of violence from the left.

Then tell me again about the "conversation" we should be having.

Generalizing an entire group of people based on your partisan nonsense.

Try again.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Like I said, if the US is so unfair, then rather than target one man, how about we target the policies that allow this to happen. Let's withdraw our membership from NATO and NORAD for example.

So, these protesters are idiots because instead of protesting they should have withdrawn Canada from NATO? I think you may be grasping at straws here...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So, these protesters are idiots because instead of protesting they should have withdrawn Canada from NATO? I think you may be grasping at straws here...

I'm saying that instead of acting vigilante style, how about writting a letter to the world court to try him if there is a valid case agaisnt him. If however the argument is that we can't do that because the USA is too poweful, then rather than waste time on what we can't change, let's do something productive and petition Canada to withdraw from NATO. And if that fails, then obviously we too are complicit in this making the US too powerful, in which case we are partly to blame too.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

In Canada even low level bureaucrats are exempted by law from liability for their actions while serving the country. Their is no way the US would hold The Dick responsible for being what he is and they certainly would not give him up to the world court for his crimes.