canada ice hockey men

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Raise a glass to hockey! This special Budweiser item scores

By Rita DeMontis, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 08:05 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 08:12 PM EDT
TORONTO - Hockey fans from coast to coast can now celebrate goals at home with their very own Goal-Synced Glass.
These special glasses, which have the ability to sync to your favourite goals simply by downloading the updated Budweiser Red Lights App (for iPhone and iPad, through the App Store or through the Google Play Store for all other smart devices) can be found in specially marked cases of Budweiser. The 14 oz. glass uses bluetooth technology and is bound to be one of the most coveted items in your repertoire of drinking glasses. It’s the evolution of the iconic Red Light! But hurry before they’re all gone!
WHOLE FOODS MARKET MISSISSAUGA: I haven’t been in a Whole Foods for a while — and never the Square One location, so just recently I went for a visit and just fell in love with the place. For starters — it’s an easy store to navigate with wide, sparkling aisles brimming with great foods and an incredibly friendly and helpful staff (it doesn’t hurt when parking is so accessible and free). This is definitely a mission-driven company with one of the biggest natural and organic lines of foods. The take-out aisle was massive with a huge fresh salad bar like nothing I’ve ever seen before. While there, I comparison-shopped some of the items I rely on and found terrific pricing. For example, a type of free-range organic egg I purchase at usually $7.99 to $10.99 a dozen was regularly priced at $5.99. Noticed great pricing on everything from the fruits and produce to the fish and meat counters. Don’t get me wrong — some items were expensive, but still doable. I enjoyed visiting and picked up items I hadn’t seen in a while, so definitely on my list to visit again. Other locations to choose from as well — check out the website for further info.
NUTELLA PERSONALIZED LABELS: Christmas came early for me this week when I unwrapped a beautifully packaged box bearing ... a jar of yummy Nutella with my name on it. For the first time in Canada, Nutella fans from coast to coast can have their very own personalized Nutella label, available now until March 2017. During this time consumers can purchase specially-marked jars of Nutella and enter the PIN online at Nutella Global - Nutella to receive a personalized label in the mail with their first name on it. Since the program was first launched globally in 2013, tens of millions of personalized labels have been shared with Nutella lovers around the world.
“Nutella personalized labels are about thanking loyal fans of Nutella and giving them the opportunity to connect with the brand in a fun and memorable way,” says company spokesperson Maureen Romansky.
SOUPALICIOUS IS BACK: Love soup? You’ll love this delicious event, taking place this Sunday at Artscape Wychwood Barns, where some of the finest soups will be ladled out all for a great cause. Everyone’s invited to sip, slurp and savour more than 30 soups from Toronto restaurants, chefs and caterers, made with the bounty of local harvests, all in support of the food-growing and sharing program, Plant a Row, Grow a Row. The soups will be served in compostable cups so bring your own spoon and be ready to slurp!
For ticket info (advance tickets are $15 which includes 10 free soup tastings, to $22 at the door, family of four passes and senior, student and children discounts) check out Soupalicious TORONTO.
  • SOUPALICIOUS, Sunday, Sept. 25, Artscape Wychwood Barns, 601 Christie St., 416-535-0240, noon to 4 p.m. (For full array of soups, try to arrive no later than 2:30.)
BRING ON THE BELMONT MEATS: One of the hottest and driest summers on record has served up some of the best grilling conditions in years for backyard BBQ lovers. Are you running out of fresh ideas for something interesting to toss on the grill?
“Burgers and hot dogs are staples of the summer BBQ menu for a reason — but sometimes it’s nice to expand your horizons and stretch your BBQ skills with other delicious grilling options,” says Belmont Meats CEO Paul Roach. With that in mind, Belmont has come up with suggestions for BBQ lovers to try out as a change of pace before the season wraps up.
Bacon and Steak Together: Bacon-wrapped sirloin steaks give a tasty new twist to a barbecue classic.
Beef Short Ribs: Short ribs are a tender, flavour-packed escape from the usual grilling fare. Not only are they simple and quick to prepare on the BBQ, but also they’re a high-quality, healthy protein option.
Shoulder Cuts: As beef prices have climbed over the past several years, more consumers are buying less common cuts of steak. Beef shoulder tender — terres major — is known for its tenderness, soft texture and generous marbling, which makes it an excellent grilling meat.
New Burger Blends: Not that there’s anything wrong with traditional beef burgers, but blended patties — mixing premium beef cuts — are a fantastic option to add some excitement to the backyard BBQ.
Chicken and turkey: Are great options — why not serve up some spicy turkey burgers or California chicken burgers made with guacamole?
Listen for further bon mots weekends on Dishing with DeMontis on Sirius XM, Canada Talks! Ch. 167.
Budweiser's Goal-Synced Glass

Raise a glass to hockey! | Grocery Gossip | Eat | Life | Toronto Sun

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Not a real big fan of ice hockey. Growing up in the desert southwest there was very little exposure to the sport. I did enjoy the time that the US won the gold medal in the Olympics.. I went to one Phoenix Coyote game once and really it was pretty boring to me. :).

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not a real big fan of ice hockey. Growing up in the desert southwest there was very little exposure to the sport. I did enjoy the time that the US won the gold medal in the Olympics.. I went to one Phoenix Coyote game once and really it was pretty boring to me. :).

The Phoenix Coyotes eh Ludlow...........no wonder you found the game boring. :lol:

I love hockey. From the little leagues all the way up to the NHL but I really look forward to the international games the most when it is one's country that you are cheering.

I was expecting so much more from Team USA, as were many others apparently. It didn't start out well for them and it ended in the worst way possible. I am on the side of those who think the roster was part of the problem what with some of their best players being on the Team NA squad but I also questioned the choice of Torts as the coach - have no love for that guy at all. He coached his guys to go out there and pound the hell out of our guys, forget the skill, forget good puck management, just get them was the credo it appears. I think Phil Kessel's tweet after the game last night kind of says it all.

Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn't put my finger on it.

— Phil Kessel (@PKessel81)

September 21, 2016

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ice hockey? There is hockey and then there is shinny encompassing all other forms sans skates.

Raise a glass to hockey! This special Budweiser item scores

By Rita DeMontis, Toronto Sun
First posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 08:05 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 08:12 PM EDT
TORONTO - Hockey fans from coast to coast can now celebrate goals at home with their very own Goal-Synced Glass.
These special glasses, which have the ability to sync to your favourite goals simply by downloading the updated Budweiser Red Lights App (for iPhone and iPad, through the App Store or through the Google Play Store for all other smart devices) can be found in specially marked cases of Budweiser. The 14 oz. glass uses bluetooth technology and is bound to be one of the most coveted items in your repertoire of drinking glasses. It’s the evolution of the iconic Red Light! But hurry before they’re all gone!
WHOLE FOODS MARKET MISSISSAUGA: I haven’t been in a Whole Foods for a while — and never the Square One location, so just recently I went for a visit and just fell in love with the place. For starters — it’s an easy store to navigate with wide, sparkling aisles brimming with great foods and an incredibly friendly and helpful staff (it doesn’t hurt when parking is so accessible and free). This is definitely a mission-driven company with one of the biggest natural and organic lines of foods. The take-out aisle was massive with a huge fresh salad bar like nothing I’ve ever seen before. While there, I comparison-shopped some of the items I rely on and found terrific pricing. For example, a type of free-range organic egg I purchase at usually $7.99 to $10.99 a dozen was regularly priced at $5.99. Noticed great pricing on everything from the fruits and produce to the fish and meat counters. Don’t get me wrong — some items were expensive, but still doable. I enjoyed visiting and picked up items I hadn’t seen in a while, so definitely on my list to visit again. Other locations to choose from as well — check out the website for further info.
NUTELLA PERSONALIZED LABELS: Christmas came early for me this week when I unwrapped a beautifully packaged box bearing ... a jar of yummy Nutella with my name on it. For the first time in Canada, Nutella fans from coast to coast can have their very own personalized Nutella label, available now until March 2017. During this time consumers can purchase specially-marked jars of Nutella and enter the PIN online at Nutella Global - Nutella to receive a personalized label in the mail with their first name on it. Since the program was first launched globally in 2013, tens of millions of personalized labels have been shared with Nutella lovers around the world.
“Nutella personalized labels are about thanking loyal fans of Nutella and giving them the opportunity to connect with the brand in a fun and memorable way,” says company spokesperson Maureen Romansky.
SOUPALICIOUS IS BACK: Love soup? You’ll love this delicious event, taking place this Sunday at Artscape Wychwood Barns, where some of the finest soups will be ladled out all for a great cause. Everyone’s invited to sip, slurp and savour more than 30 soups from Toronto restaurants, chefs and caterers, made with the bounty of local harvests, all in support of the food-growing and sharing program, Plant a Row, Grow a Row. The soups will be served in compostable cups so bring your own spoon and be ready to slurp!
For ticket info (advance tickets are $15 which includes 10 free soup tastings, to $22 at the door, family of four passes and senior, student and children discounts) check out Soupalicious TORONTO.
  • SOUPALICIOUS, Sunday, Sept. 25, Artscape Wychwood Barns, 601 Christie St., 416-535-0240, noon to 4 p.m. (For full array of soups, try to arrive no later than 2:30.)
BRING ON THE BELMONT MEATS: One of the hottest and driest summers on record has served up some of the best grilling conditions in years for backyard BBQ lovers. Are you running out of fresh ideas for something interesting to toss on the grill?
“Burgers and hot dogs are staples of the summer BBQ menu for a reason — but sometimes it’s nice to expand your horizons and stretch your BBQ skills with other delicious grilling options,” says Belmont Meats CEO Paul Roach. With that in mind, Belmont has come up with suggestions for BBQ lovers to try out as a change of pace before the season wraps up.
Bacon and Steak Together: Bacon-wrapped sirloin steaks give a tasty new twist to a barbecue classic.
Beef Short Ribs: Short ribs are a tender, flavour-packed escape from the usual grilling fare. Not only are they simple and quick to prepare on the BBQ, but also they’re a high-quality, healthy protein option.
Shoulder Cuts: As beef prices have climbed over the past several years, more consumers are buying less common cuts of steak. Beef shoulder tender — terres major — is known for its tenderness, soft texture and generous marbling, which makes it an excellent grilling meat.
New Burger Blends: Not that there’s anything wrong with traditional beef burgers, but blended patties — mixing premium beef cuts — are a fantastic option to add some excitement to the backyard BBQ.
Chicken and turkey: Are great options — why not serve up some spicy turkey burgers or California chicken burgers made with guacamole?
Listen for further bon mots weekends on Dishing with DeMontis on Sirius XM, Canada Talks! Ch. 167.
Budweiser's Goal-Synced Glass

Raise a glass to hockey! | Grocery Gossip | Eat | Life | Toronto Sun

Soggy copasta

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Nathan McKinnon beat King Henrik with one of the prettiest OT goals I've seen in awhile - the hands on that kid - and secured the win for Team NA. If any of you hockey fans want to see a pretty wild OT check that one out online. Team NA now needs so far luckless Finland to somehow manufacture a win over Russia tomorrow or they - team NA - are out of the competition. I will be hexing Russia every chance I get and showering blessings on Team Finland. Outstanding game by Team NA. Sweden gave as good as it got and made the game exciting to watch.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Top of their division our Canadians after a nice 4 - 1 win over Team Europe!!! Yeah Team Canada:canada:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
sure hope the n. American team makes it into the semi finals, a great
team to watch, very exciting game yesterday against Sweden, too bad
they didn't beat the swedes in regulation, then they would have made
it thru, now they have to wait for the Russian/fin final today.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Our guys were a wee bit lackadaisical in the first and only a bit better in the second but a go-ahead goal by the Russians gave them some fire and here in the 3rd P with just over 11 minutes to play, Canada is ahead 4 - 2. Really looked a bit iffy there for awhile. Sure that more than a few Canadians were figuratively holding their breath until Team Canada got the tie.

Sidney got the first goal. Brad Marchand got the next two then Corey Perry got the 4th.

The Tavares line finally, finally got a goal and it is 5 - 2 Canada.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Our guys were a wee bit lackadaisical in the first and only a bit better in the second but a go-ahead goal by the Russians gave them some fire and here in the 3rd P with just over 11 minutes to play, Canada is ahead 4 - 2. Really looked a bit iffy there for awhile. Sure that more than a few Canadians were figuratively holding their breath until Team Canada got the tie.

Sidney got the first goal. Brad Marchand got the next two then Corey Perry got the 4th.

The Tavares line finally, finally got a goal and it is 5 - 2 Canada.

I just caught the 3rd. They seem to be on fire.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Canada uses huge 3rd period to beat Russians, advances to World Cup final

That's our guys, getting the job done in fine fashion. Now we await the winner of tomorrows game when Team Europe plays Team Sweden. The first of the three games of the World Cup final will begin on Tuesday.

Kudos to Sergei Bobrovsky for an outstanding effort in the Russian net. Were it not for Sergei the score would have been much higher as Canada consistently out-shot (47 - 34) Russia in every period.

5 -3 was the final score though the last goal could have been challenged by Team Canada as it was off a hand-pass and goalie interference as a Russian player got in behind Carey Price. Not at all sorry that Mike Babcock didn't challenge the call - maybe it was his nod to Russia who really gave us a great game.

On another note, Team NA's goalie Matt Murray had more than a sore thumb it appears. The Pittsburgh Penguins announced today that Matt will be out for 3 - 6 weeks after he apparently broke his hand in NA's game against Team Russia that saw the only loss of the tourney for the young guns.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
sure hope the n. American team makes it into the semi finals, a great
team to watch, very exciting game yesterday against Sweden, too bad
they didn't beat the swedes in regulation, then they would have made
it thru, now they have to wait for the Russian/fin final today.

I remember back when they first announced this new format with Team North America and Team Europe. Didn't quite know what to expect but really liked the idea of Canadian and American kids playing together on the same team. I was sold from the first game they played. I loved their energy and enthusiasm as well as their skill and their speed. The memory of MacKinnon's goal as he beat the King, will live in my mind for a long time. It was some of the best hockey I have watched in ages.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Kudos to Canada!

Thank you gopher, I accept your congratulations on behalf of my Team. :smile: To steal a quote from Tod McLellan said about his NA squad - 'they're pretty darn good."

TORONTO - This is why they put your image on a stamp like Canada Post did the other day.

This is why you are consistently named the captain of Team Canada -- and none of the other stars on the roster disagree.

This is why many of your teammates call you the best player in the world.

It’s because you are Sidney Crosby.

And it’s because you have the penchant for coming up big when your team needs it most.

Remember that Golden Goal in Vancouver that won Canada the Olympic title in 2010? We figured you did.

And now, on this September Saturday night six years later, here was Team Canada, overwhelming favourites in the 2016 World Cup of Hockey, suddenly trailing 2-1 when Evgeni Kuznetsov scored for Russia with just 3:36 remaining in the second period of this tournament semifinal. And the moment the puck hit the back of the Canadian net, what little atmosphere there had been inside the Air Canada Centre seemed to evaporate altogether.

Oh sure, there was electricity at a sporting event in downtown Toronto on Saturday. Only it was down the road at Rogers Centre, where the Blue Jays posted a dramatic 3-0 win over the New York Yankees thanks to a Jose Bautista three-run homer.

But, as so often has been the case, when things looked questionable for Team Canada, the Crosby Show took over.

Having scored Canada’s lone goal to that point, Crosby stripped Russian defenceman Andre Markov of the puck, then set up line-mate Brad Marchand to tie the game 2-2 just 72 seconds after Kuznetsov had put the Russians ahead.

But the Team Canada captain wasn’t done.

Just 76 seconds into the third period, he set up Marchand yet again, this time putting Canada up 3-2.

It was a lead they would never relinquish.

Subsequent goals by Corey Perry and John Tavares gave Canada a three-goal lead and an eventual 5-3 victory en route to landing a spot in the best-of-three tournament final. Their opponent will be determined Sunday afternoon when Team Sweden and Team Europe face off in the other semifinal.

For Marchand, that tying goal late in the second period changed the game. And it was all because of Crosby. Because that’s what Crosby does.

“One of the things that makes him such a great player is his determination,” Marchand said. “He always makes big plays in big games. And when you see plays like that, that’s where the leadership comes in.”

“That tying goal was huge for us,” defenceman Shea Weber added. “(The Russians) had just taken the lead and the momentum was with them. And then Sid helped bring it back towards us.”

This is all you need to know about Crosby: Team Canada has now won 23 consecutive games in which the Pittsburgh Penguins captain has been in the lineup. If that’s not dominance, we don’t know what is.

During an interview with Postmedia prior to the tournament, Crosby was asked which players might make good linemates for him. He didn’t hesitate in his answer.

“Obviously I’ve played with (Patrice) Bergeron in a number of tournaments,” he said at the time. “And it would be cool with Brad Marchand, With him being from the same area (of Nova Scotia), I’ve skated a lot with him in the summer. I’m happy to see him on the team. It’ll be fun.”

It certainly wasn’t fun for Russian goalie Sergei Bobrovsky. By the end of the second intermission, Team Canada was outshooting Russia 33-9. The only reason the score was tied 2-2 at that point was the player his Columbus Blue Jacket teammates simply refer to as “Bob.”

But even Bob was no match for Crosby and his linemates on this night.

Crosby’s three-point effort makes him the leading scorer in the tournament with seven in four games. Keep in mind that he had a short summer, having played into mid-June en route to winning the Stanley Cup with the Penguins.

“I had to manage my rest,” Crosby said. “We had some good skates back in Nova Scotia. (Marchand) was there. It was a good way to prepare for this tournament.”

Marchand becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer. In his post-game press conference, he was asked if it would be cool to spend the rest of his career -- from that point on -- playing with Crosby in Pittsburgh. He showed outstanding veteran experience in declining to answer the question. But you have to wonder how much damage they could do together with the Penguins.

As a kid growing up in Nova Scotia, Marchand had heard about this wonderboy from the area named Sidney Crosby. One day after his own minor hockey game was over, Marchand noticed that Crosby’s team was playing next. So he stayed to see what all the fuss was about.

Crosby scored five goals.

He hasn’t slowed down since.

Those are the types of things that gets your face on a stamp.

And your team into the final of the World Cup.

mzeisberger@postmedia.com
twitter.com/zeisberger

The 'Kid' is having himself quite the year. I am so happy for him.