Can con a BC forum?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I'm more Canadian then most of you.
Maybe my idea of being "Canadian" is not up to your standards.

Too bad for you.

More Canadian than most of us? I didn't realize Canadians came with a Canadian gauge. How dos it work exactly? When you drink more Molson's does your face get redder?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, Canadian Content is a Canadian format forum, open to anyone from around the world.

The only regional disparaging that's been noticeable for sometime, has been from the west, towards the east.

I think what some people are confusing for attacks from the east, is backlash in the form of mocking.

If one doesn't like it, don't do it.

There are A$$holes in every province but on average all Canadians are good as far as I'm concerned, although we do have our regional idiosyncracies. :lol:
There are not Assholes in every province.

There are however assholes in every province.

There are definitely more assholes in Ontario.
Assholes even.

?????? WTF! I thought "Canadian Content" was self explanatory and i see nearly all areas represented. One sure needs to not let an internet discussion forum give them an ulcer.
Get a grip man.
Well put.

Just because some people can't tolerate other people's opinions or ideas, if you don't agree with a post you can tell the guy without attacking him.
Who're you talking to?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I have never understood the mentality that goes along with 'regionalist' thinking. As if geography, of all things, can determine the value or worth of a human being! For anyone to get so sidelined in their thinking as to equate east vs west as a measure of good vs bad (whichever direction that flows in for them personally) is no less bigoted than judging an individual by the colour of their skin or their religious beliefs or whatnot. Yet so many threads are rife with those type of asinine comments or snide innuendo, substitute the word 'nigger' into any one of them, and true colours clearly, in my opinion, begin to emerge.

People who don't give any more thought to their views than to label all westerners as rednecks or all easterners as lazy deserve nothing more than derision and ridicule for those statements.

There is absolutely disparity across this nation, in many aspects of our society. But blaming 'them' does absolutely nothing to help 'us', so I cannot for the life of me understand what people think it gets them. Check your anger at the door, stow the bigoted crap or be prepared to be called out for it. Simple as that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Who're you talking to?

Responding to Kakatos post asking why we can't all get along! I feel a lot of dissention is the result of people putting down the author instead of the opinion or idea. (I've been guilty of it myself at times) :smile:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Responding to Kakatos post asking why we can't all get along! I feel a lot of dissention is the result of people putting down the author instead of the opinion or idea. (I've been guilty of it myself at times) :smile:

But, and here is a question I've put out before, how does one divorce the person from the post when it is the attitude that gets carried from post to post and thread to thread?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, I'd really like to see this issue discussed more amongst all members. Because we all know the type of thing I'm talking about, we all make quiet references to it, but we don't discuss it openly. What ends up happening is the majority leave it up to one or two to fight that battle and then we simply ignore the consequences of those actions, which isn't exactly fair.

I'm not pinpointing you or anyone else specifically here (nor am I necessarily letting myself off the hook either), but this is a general observation I've made over time.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
But, and here is a question I've put out before, how does one divorce the person from the post when it is the attitude that gets carried from post to post and thread to thread?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, I'd really like to see this issue discussed more amongst all members. Because we all know the type of thing I'm talking about, we all make quiet references to it, but we don't discuss it openly. What ends up happening is the majority leave it up to one or two to fight that battle and then we simply ignore the consequences of those actions, which isn't exactly fair.

I'm not pinpointing you or anyone else specifically here (nor am I necessarily letting myself off the hook either), but this is a general observation I've made over time.

Boy, you ask the tough questions early in the morning. Some posters you get to know so well, you can pretty well predict their response before you read it and you are not going to change those guys' minds, so why bother debating them, but I can respect their opinion which for all we know may stem from them losing their family to an axe murderer. Other opinions change with time, like the whole sexual orientation, transsexual and transvestite issues and may well change again, so there is no really wrong or right answers, so I tend to stay away from them...........I accept them because that the way it is and I have no problem in those regards. Politics and religion are generally deeply seated, the only issues I have there is the same person trotting out the same argument 5000 times. Sometimes rather that stating an opinion or objection is just to ask a question.........get the other to think it through! :smile:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I have never understood the mentality that goes along with 'regionalist' thinking. As if geography, of all things, can determine the value or worth of a human being!

Political factions have used this as a rallying-cry to garner votes and support since day 1. It's really no surprise that the public at large has adopted the mentality

There is absolutely disparity across this nation, in many aspects of our society. But blaming 'them' does absolutely nothing to help 'us', so I cannot for the life of me understand what people think it gets them. Check your anger at the door, stow the bigoted crap or be prepared to be called out for it. Simple as that.

Regional representation is much to do with this circumstance.... It might be an interesting experiment that each elected MP is assigned a regional office on a random basis... Get elected in a Halifax riding and maybe your office is located in Regina. At very least, these clowns would be forced to see how the other half lives.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Too early on sunday morning for deep thoughts although I tend to agree with you. Hard to have an intelligent discussion with trolls and those without the proper equipment though.
Perhaps the anonymous nature of avatars and internet handles has something to do with it. If people were to use their real name would they tend to be more professional in their posts? And more important would it weed out the trolls?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Boy, you ask the tough questions early in the morning.

I always ask tough questions.;)

But I've had my morning coffee, so fair enough, lol.

Some posters you get to know so well, you can pretty well predict their response before you read it and you are not going to change those guys' minds, so why bother debating them, but I can respect their opinion which for all we know may stem from them losing their family to an axe murderer. Other opinions change with time, like the whole sexual orientation, transsexual and transvestite issues and may well change again, so there is no really wrong or right answers, so I tend to stay away from them...........I accept them because that the way it is and I have no problem in those regards. Politics and religion are generally deeply seated, the only issues I have there is the same person trotting out the same argument 5000 times. Sometimes rather that stating an opinion or objection is just to ask a question.........get the other to think it through! :smile:
I don't disagree with the principal you are stating and, generally speaking, I try to always stay away from personal insults. I think for the most part that most of us here do.

Having said that though, I do believe wholeheartedly that comments that are bigoted, or prejudicial, or even highly partisan in nature need to be called out for that. It is important to speak up when you see something that you believe is wrong. It's often not about changing the opinion of the poster but sometimes these things are so subtle that they can, to others, sometimes make sense if people don't read deep enough into it. I think it's important to highlight theses issues. And, when it carries from post to post, from thread to thread, it can important to point that out too.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Im from Ontario which means, "IM SO F U CKING GOOOOD"

I'm more Canadian then most of you.
Maybe my idea of being "Canadian" is not up to your standards.

Too bad for you

:lol: I laughed so hard at this comment, my back cracked....

Perhaps the anonymous nature of avatars and internet handles has something to do with it. If people were to use their real name would they tend to be more professional in their posts? And more important would it weed out the trolls

internet forums are a great place for people who get no respect in life to air themselves out like bad laundry

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Political factions have used this as a rallying-cry to garner votes and support since day 1. It's really no surprise that the public at large has adopted the mentality

Regional representation is much to do with this circumstance.... It might be an interesting experiment that each elected MP is assigned a regional office on a random basis... Get elected in a Halifax riding and maybe your office is located in Regina. At very least, these clowns would be forced to see how the other half lives.

Twice BC tried to change the electoral system to a proportional representation which would have more or less eliminated ridings as we know them. Got shot down both times because people couldn't figure out who their representative might be and many seem to be hung up on the concept of party over local rep. I think it would have made politicians work much harder at consentis instead of toeing the party line.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

It doesn't surprise me either. It's no different than, in my opinion, the rallying cry of some religious groups against homosexuals for example. Doesn't mean we shouldn't call out the bull crap when we see it.

They represent us, they should be doing a hell of a lot better of a job of it, in my opinion. We do not need to tear someone else down in order to build ourselves up.

I was born and raised in Ontario, I love where I'm from. There are some great things about this province, there are some crappy things about it, as there is everywhere. I am more than happy to acknowledge the bad along with the good.

Too early on sunday morning for deep thoughts

I've already been called to task for that one. ;)

Maybe if I switch to decaf? Lol.

although I tend to agree with you. Hard to have an intelligent discussion with trolls and those without the proper equipment though.
Hard to? It's impossible! But as I mentioned to JLM, I do believe it's important to speak out when you see or hear something that's wrong. Whether you reach that person or not, there are others that you can reach by doing so.

Perhaps the anonymous nature of avatars and internet handles has something to do with it. If people were to use their real name would they tend to be more professional in their posts? And more important would it weed out the trolls?
I don't think anything would ever completely weed out the trolls. That you're going to get no matter what. But some of it is so sly and subtle, I honestly think it becomes necessary to highlight those attitudes in bright neon because I get the impression that it sneaks past a lot of people.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It doesn't surprise me either. It's no different than, in my opinion, the rallying cry of some religious groups against homosexuals for example. Doesn't mean we shouldn't call out the bull crap when we see it.

They represent us, they should be doing a hell of a lot better of a job of it, in my opinion. We do not need to tear someone else down in order to build ourselves up.

I was born and raised in Ontario, I love where I'm from. There are some great things about this province, there are some crappy things about it, as there is everywhere. I am more than happy to acknowledge the bad along with the good.

I've already been called to task for that one. ;)

Maybe if I switch to decaf? Lol.

Hard to? It's impossible! But as I mentioned to JLM, I do believe it's important to speak out when you see or hear something that's wrong. Whether you reach that person or not, there are others that you can reach by doing so.

I don't think anything would ever completely weed out the trolls. That you're going to get no matter what. But some of it is so sly and subtle, I honestly think it becomes necessary to highlight those attitudes in bright neon because I get the impression that it sneaks past a lot of people.

I often have difficulty determining which are trolls and which are truly stupid.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

The first and most effective step is to call bullsh*t on it, but that has to also be followed-up with the public not supporting the divisive platforms of a candidate... The actions must reflect the ideals or else it was a waste of time to begin with

I believe that Canadians (and most citizens in Western democracies) are simply so used to the lies and flip-flops that it is now the norm.

I often wonder if the individuals that gravitate to politics know this and leverage it to their advantage... Sick bast*rds

At one point, it was only a fool believed an imaginary line on a map identified fundamental differences between people; unfortunately with the political posturing that goes on these days, the concept of a line and identifiable differences is being reinforced daily.

Quite sad really, it's a train-wreck just waiting to happen.... It won't end well for someone, that's for sure

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The first and most effective step is to call bullsh*t on it, but that has to also be followed-up with the public not supporting the divisive platforms of a candidate... The actions must reflect the ideals or else it was a waste of time to begin with

I don't weigh in too much in the political threads simply because of the rallying cries of partisan people. That, to me, is not a political discussion, it's grandstanding. However, taking it just at the level of this forum, calling out the BS can make a difference because we don't know who we might be educating. How many non-member viewers do we have in each thread? Every time I've looked, there are always more non-member viewers than member viewers in a thread. If some posters spew the rhetoric of the party line, I think it's a good idea to highlight how partisan some of that is. You never know who you might reach.

I believe that Canadians (and most citizens in Western democracies) are simply so used to the lies and flip-flops that it is now the norm.

I often wonder if the individuals that gravitate to politics know this and leverage it to their advantage... Sick bast*rds
I've no doubt they do exactly that. And we are all cynical by this point. Again, another reason why it's important to highlight the subtleties and point out the rhetoric because on the surface these statements, especially made by 'officials' can seem 'right' or 'logical'. It's always a good idea to point out the other side of things.

I can honestly say that, while I've not spent a lot of time discussing politics here, I've probably spent more time arguing a position that is actually counter to my own views simply because the view that expresses where I might lean more naturally is so excessively and ridiculously expressed.

At one point, it was only a fool believed an imaginary line on a map identified fundamental differences between people; unfortunately with the political posturing that goes on these days, the concept of a line and identifiable differences is being reinforced daily.

Quite sad really, it's a train-wreck just waiting to happen.... It won't end well for someone, that's for sure
It is sad and to my point of view no different than the person who begins a sentence with "I'm not a racist but....". That needs to be pointed out!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The longer I live, I find there is less and less that is wrong. If it adversely affects someone else either now or on the future I would generally say it's wrong. There are other things that I find wrong, but only within the parameters of my philosophy. I think it's wrong to spend your last dollar now and leave yourself short for tomorrow, others say enjoy it while you can, I might not be here tomorrow. Somewhere in between is probably the best answer.

Lol. All trolls, true trolls, are inherently stupid anyway so it doesn't really matter in the end. ;)

Oooooooooooooooh ummmmmmmmmmmmm?????????????? And some are so smart you don't even know you are being trolled (if trolling is actually a bad thing) :lol:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Just wondering,nice to see lots of Canucks but this site is from western Canada.
I just wonder why so many peeps from Ontario have a problem with western Canada.
Why cant they form their own site if they have an agenda to push?

Dont they have forums in Ontario?
I have to wonder why so many easterners are here on a western forum.

The question begs to be answered,most of the posters here from eastern Canada are only here to slag the west.

Why?

Dont like the west then **** off.

I know I don't have a problem with Western Canada, seeing as my family and I am from there. What I do have a problem with is hicks like you and Durry, who create the all so loveable stereotypes that Canadians are known for.

Also, if you wonder why there is large number of Ontarians here, look at the population map, shathead.

There are definitely more assholes in Ontario.

true story, I go out of my way to tell everyone to **** off. The other day, I pushed a disabled person out of their subway seat because, well, that's how Ontario rolls.

Signing out,

Gangsta for life.
aka, The Truck Stop Millionaire.