Bureaucrats eyeing online forums to correct misinformation

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
OK back to the original topic, call me naive if you will, but how is it a bad thing that the gov't wants to combat misinformation on some topics? Yes, there may be a bunch of politicizing in some of it, but where outright fallacies and misinformation are being spread, it seems to me a reasonable step for the gov't to take... sorta like in Jr. High School where the health nurse told kids that aspirin and Coca-cola did not combine to create an effective form of birth control...

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
OK back to the original topic, call me naive if you will, but how is it a bad thing that the gov't wants to combat misinformation on some topics? Yes, there may be a bunch of politicizing in some of it, but where outright fallacies and misinformation are being spread, it seems to me a reasonable step for the gov't to take... sorta like in Jr. High School where the health nurse told kids that aspirin and Coca-cola did not combine to create an effective form of birth control...
Good point.
We all know that politicians have a reputation for fudging and obfuscating the truth, so I'd like to point out that this reputation is not really deserved because we, as politicians, really do like to give the impression to people that we have the people's interests at heart.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Isn't that like the blind leading the blind? From all I've seen the Gov't. generates misinformation. Remember In BRitish Columbia a couple of years ago when our illustrious leader said we'd be getting cheques to compensate for the carbon tax because that tax is revenue neutral? Well, it's been almost two years since I've seen one of their cheques and they are still taxing the gas. :smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Too funny. The masters of misinformation are worried that someone might misinform people about their misinformation. That is a real knee slapper if I ever heard one.

That would be compound misinformation. The interest earnings are juicy.

This is the twenty-first century governments job is to misinform.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
I do know of one riding association president who was a tad taken aback by some of the garbage that gets spouted by alleged party faithful in here....

and I do know that as long as you are not threatening any one it is your right to bitch and complain if you are a registered voter, and your riding association president who was a tad taken back from some one who was not calling him names was wrong to cast aspersions when in fact you call the Liberals the same sh!t as the Conservatives. Are you looking to look good at the expense of others? Like I told you before you are a friendly guy (sarcasm) You don’t have the right to tell another voter to stop complaining when in fact evidents show a bad fiscal Government.

So what you think I am the only one with a complaint what? your riding president would like to see people like me in jail because I don’t agree with crap? he is going to need a jail to put 45% of Canadians. So where do you go with you two face crap you call the Liberals and the Conservatives sh!t and me they are going to put me in jail. Are you ok?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
i do know of one riding association president who was a tad taken aback by some of the garbage that gets spouted by alleged party faithful in here....

and i do know that as long as you are not threatening any one it is your right to bitch and complain if you are a registered voter, and your riding association president who was a tad taken back from some one who was not calling him names was wrong to cast aspersions when in fact you call the liberals the same sh!t as the conservatives. Are you looking to look good at the expense of others? Like i told you before you are a friendly guy (sarcasm) you don’t have the right to tell another voter to stop complaining when in fact evidents show a bad fiscal government.

So what you think i am the only one with a complaint what? Your riding president would like to see people like me in jail because i don’t agree with crap? He is going to need a jail to put 45% of canadians. So where do you go with you two face crap you call the liberals and the conservatives sh!t and me they are going to put me in jail. Are you ok?

roflmfao...zooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!

Reactions: lone wolf

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
LW.....I told my wife that I would bet a weeks pay that it was a Liberal riding association President..... did I win?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Zorba, you need to take a deep breath before you start typing. Your post become unintelligible proportionate to how upset you are. Politics is not worth hemorrhaging over, man. Governments are hired to give people a place to vent their frustration so that they do not look at those who are actually in control. It is all a smoke screen to divert your attention, nothing more. If you want to rant at those who are really screwing up, just look to international bankers and industry CEOs.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
LW.....I told my wife that I would bet a weeks pay that it was a Liberal riding association President..... did I win?

You did! He pops in to visit (and remind me about heart health) every so often. Great guy - and knows my views on politics. Funny thing.... Unlike the rabid sect, he loves to hear how things are on the dark side.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You did! He pops in to visit (and remind me about heart health) every so often. Great guy - and knows my views on politics. Funny thing.... Unlike the rabid sect, he loves to hear how things are on the dark side.

Yee haw........ I get a BJ.....lol

Reactions: Ron in Regina

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol.. congrats gerry! lol.

As for the topic at hand... part of a politician's job is to both inform and listen to his constituents where and when they can. Why they aren't already on forums such as this one, getting a true feel for what their voters think and feel, is beyond me.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
lol.. congrats gerry! lol.

As for the topic at hand... part of a politician's job is to both inform and listen to his constituents where and when they can. Why they aren't already on forums such as this one, getting a true feel for what their voters think and feel, is beyond me.

and sue the voters they don’t agree with.......great for democracy....:roll:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
and sue the voters they don’t agree with.......great for democracy....:roll:
Show me a single source, other than paranoid rantings from some loon on a forum, that states that's the tactic they're going to take. They've said they plan to go on and provide links to information, not sue anyone or attempt to stifle discourse. If you think they're going to do otherwise, show something along the lines of PROOF.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Show me a single source, other than paranoid rantings from some loon on a forum, that states that's the tactic they're going to take. They've said they plan to go on and provide links to information, not sue anyone or attempt to stifle discourse. If you think they're going to do otherwise, show something along the lines of PROOF.
I will when Harper get a majority..........................at the moment we are in preparation stages, it is called letting the monster out inch at a time. As for me being a loon any one deferent then you is a loon, did you know today on a national holiday Harper is pushing to implement legislation to prevent MPS from testifying on comities when they are asked to testify? Great Democracy..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I will when Harper get a majority..........................at the moment we are in preparation stages, it is called letting the monster out inch at a time. As for me being a loon any one deferent then you is a loon, did you know today on a national holiday Harper is pushing to implement legislation to prevent MPS from testifying on comities when they are asked to testify? Great Democracy..
I never called you a loon, I said provide a link of proof that ISN'T just someone's opinion of what will happen, but rather what the government actually intends.

I've seen plenty of corporations using these techniques lately, and they all are being highly ethical in the way they use their social management groups. I see no cause for concern, as I stated in my first post in here, if they implement this the way they are saying they intend to. And your dislike of Harper and all things 'con' isn't proof to me that they won't use it as planned.