Boy Scout den leader dismissed for being a lesbian

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
How about that. A solution.
That's because the program I'm involved with is coed.

The school system isn't, but the 4H and BS have many overlapping characteristics.
True, but still not the same type of program.

How is shunning them or barring them being friendly, helpful, etc.?
She wasn't shunned, she's just not allowed to lead a troop.

I think the BS is stuck in the 40s and 50s when genders were distinct and anything else was hidden under the carpet.
I wouldn't necessarily argue against that position. But there isn't anything wrong with strong gender roles. I know gay military and Police Officers that are strong gender role models.

Maybe they are afraid the lesbian would "convert" the boys. lmao
"The Boy Scouts of America said in a statement that its "membership standards are founded on the values, expectations and beliefs of those we serve."

"We recognize that there will be a range of views on this topic, and Scouting's policy is not meant as a social commentary outside of our program," Boy Scouts of America spokesman Deron Smith said."

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How so? You can be kind friendly and so on, and still not accept homosexuals, for any number of reasons, but still treat them kindly etc.

I'll refer you to my employment scenario.

A polite bigot? Sure why not, lol.

Joking aside, of course an individual can be friendly and what not and not accept homosexuals. I just personally feel that non-acceptance is wrong because it goes against my values.

If this woman represents those values that are held in high regard by the organization and is dismissed in spite of her representation, then those values don't have any real meaning to or within the organization. Now I don't know that she does, perhaps she was a horrible troop leader. But just based on the article, there is no denial it seems about why she was asked to leave. No claims that she actually performed her duties poorly, so I assume that to mean that she performed them at least adequately.

So dismissing her may not be legally wrong, but in my eyes it is morally wrong and runs counter to what they hold themselves up to be. Which is a symbol of moral integrity and leadership.

No doubt. But being a Scout isn't living in a closed society.

Male bonding? Gender roles? All boys club? The latter being something I would endorse as the most important.
All of those would be a scope of a progam right? Lol.

I don't know that there is anything so gender specific about scouting though. Maybe at one time there was.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
That's because the program I'm involved with is coed.
Exactly.

True, but still not the same type of program.
And what are these "types"? Just what do you think the differences are?

She wasn't shunned, she's just not allowed to lead a troop.
I did say "or barred" in the comment.

I wouldn't necessarily argue against that position. But there isn't anything wrong with strong gender roles.
Until it discriminates for an irrational reason.
I know gay military and Police Officers that are strong gender role models.
And I've met some pretty "male" lesbians, so?

"The Boy Scouts of America said in a statement that its "membership standards are founded on the values, expectations and beliefs of those we serve."
That's fine but I don't think the BS have progressed past the 50s while most everyone else has.

"We recognize that there will be a range of views on this topic, and Scouting's policy is not meant as a social commentary outside of our program," Boy Scouts of America spokesman Deron Smith said."
Nevertheless, it sure seems to have turned out that way.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Kind of says a lot about a nation that was once known for supporting understanding
among peoples, and had world wide jamboree's to drive home the message.
I think it is sad that they have decided to punish a child because his mother is different.
Yes they kicked the mother out, but they also drove the child out of the group as well
She was welcome until they found out she was different from other parents.
It just leaves me disappointed, many years ago I was a Boy Scout and I have always
had some respect for that organization, however i guess that ends today.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Kind of says a lot about a nation that was once known for supporting understanding
among peoples, and had world wide jamboree's to drive home the message.
I think it is sad that they have decided to punish a child because his mother is different.
Yes they kicked the mother out, but they also drove the child out of the group as well
She was welcome until they found out she was different from other parents.
It just leaves me disappointed, many years ago I was a Boy Scout and I have always
had some respect for that organization, however i guess that ends today.

That was my point, that despite the ability to embody what the organization promoted as it's core message (which I assume they must have thought she did or else they wouldn't have made her a den leader in the first place) they dismiss her for reasons which have nothing to do with it at all.

But you bring up another point, one which I was thinking about yesterday but didn't have the opportunity to raise, and that is what about the kids? Not just this woman's son but what about other boys within the organization who may have gay parents. What message does this send to them?

I understand that Boy Scouts is a private organization who have every right to convey membership to whom it designates as appropriate for membership. I happen to think they are wrong in their outlook, as do a great many others I'm sure, but regardless their outlook is their own. But this private organization does not exist in a vacuum, they exist within society, within the public realm. And like it or not, this is now a very public debate. They are going to have to face up to it in one way or another.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Joking aside, of course an individual can be friendly and what not and not accept homosexuals. I just personally feel that non-acceptance is wrong because it goes against my values.
Bingo!

If this woman represents those values that are held in high regard by the organization and is dismissed in spite of her representation, then those values don't have any real meaning to or within the organization.
Her sexual orientation dictates that she doesn't represent their values.

And what are these "types"? Just what do you think the differences are?
4H is an academic agricultural program, while the Boy Scouts are an outdoors program.

I did say "or barred" in the comment.
I'm barred from many places, womens restrooms, women only gyms.

Until it discriminates for an irrational reason.
What's irrational about not accepting something that is against the laws of nature?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I already explained that, and you agreed.

You "explained" squat. You stated that there are 2 sex's, man and woman...ok...That is true. What does that have to do with Homosexuality being against nature. It's not like they are something different from male or female.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
so... if anyone does NOT procreate, or is unable to, they are also against the "laws of nature".

Also, would you mind supplying a link to these "laws of nature" that you are referring to. I really don't remember ever studying them.

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
Jennifer Tyrrell, an Ohio den leader dismissed by her local Boy Scout troop for being a lesbian, said she's disappointed her 7-year-old son is no longer participating in the Scouts.
"He's no longer a Boy Scout," Tyrrell said Wednesday of removing her son, Cruz, from the group. "And we're sad about that, but we can't support an organization that doesn't support our family."
Tyrrell is now engaged in a campaign with Change.org, a left-leaning political group, to raise awareness of the policy of the Boy Scouts of America, garnering 140,000 signatures and saying that she ultimately wants the national organization to reverse its position.

Boy Scout den leader dismissed for being a lesbian | News - Home
I don't care if she's gay, but since when did they start letting women be boy scout leaders?
That's just wrong.