Boy kills himself with family gun

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
My attitude is driven by the fact of having to deal with the results of these shootings in ER and intensive care. If that is "emotional" so be it. Maybe the gun loving crowd should attend ER during a shootout and deal with the victims injuries. Give them a different perspective . All the laws and debates matter little when one is striving to save a gunshot victim. In fact it should be a requirement as part of gun purchasing that the potential buyer attend both, the ER following a shooting AND attend an autopsy of a gun shot victim. Only then will they have the "total" experience of gun ownership.

You realize that you just reinforced Colpy's statement about using emotion instead of your brain.......

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Question to all gun supporters for self defense.

after you shoot whoever you were protecting yourself from, what do you do?? Let the victim bleed to death, call 9-11 to report a shooting , call an ambulence ?? and/ or try to control the bleeding resulting from your shot???

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
when guns are sold........how do the sellers determine if the potential owner is going to be "responsible" or not?? OF course gun owners should be held responsible for any incidents their guns are involved in. (and the victims they kill or maim for life) Not all shootings leave victims dead. Sometimes the wounds are such that their life is permanently disabled leaving them dependant on others and the medical system.

Seems the owner of the gun causing this should be made to pay all expenses for recovery too. But they will claim "self defense" and ignore that .....unless they are sued.

It is not in all places that folks need a gun to make their point. Most places are safe to live in .....or safer by comparison. Seems that the mere presence of so many weapons on so many of the population creates an environment for potential disaster .

This is also an example of human neglegence. and plain carelessness. Even a professional sharp shooter is human and can momentarily leave his weapon exposed , thus creating the potential for disaster. so shooting skills have very little to do with momentary carelessness.

You REALLY don't deal with the facts, do you?

Careless? Yes.......criminally negligent? Well, maybe, but I think they have been punished enough.

The rest of the post?? BALONEY.

Guns and Self-Defense by Gary Kleck, Ph.D.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Another young life taken via family gun.:-(

So the operative question now is: Will this family get rid of all their weapons to ensure a gun free zone. There are enough situations around the home etc where kids can hurt themselves without having guns accessible to the children. If a home or family car is not safe for kids.......that leaves a lot to be desired.

or will gun lovers excuse this as just another "one off"???

They might do what most parents do whose children get injured and killed by items in their home do.... rearrange the way they 'child proof'.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

after you shoot whoever you were protecting yourself from, what do you do?? Let the victim bleed to death, call 9-11 to report a shooting , call an ambulence ?? and/ or try to control the bleeding resulting from your shot???

Depends on the situation......ALWAYS dial 9-11, but in a place where you might have to expose yourself to further attack to offer first aid, you retreat and leave him there. In a situation where you are certain you are secure you are ethically, if not legally, required to help in any way possible.

They might do what most parents do whose children get injured and killed by items in their home do.... rearrange the way they 'child proof'.

Yep.

I notice firearms don't even make the list.

I looked it up, in 2007, in the UNITED STATES, firearms accidents were the sixth largest cause of death in children (0 to 19 yrs) at 138 deaths. Terrible, but to put that in perspective, the FIFTH largest cause of death was suffocation/strangulation........at 1,263 deaths....well over 9 times the gun accidents........

http://www.childdeathreview.org/nationalchildmortalitydata.htm

Risk is inherent in freedom.

Being free is dangerous.

So are people that want us to be risk-free.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Try to kill em, and then try to save their life......hmmmm

Ya, I shot him, but it's ok, I tried to save his life afterward....all is good.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Depends on the situation......ALWAYS dial 9-11, but in a place where you might have to expose yourself to further attack to offer first aid, you retreat and leave him there. In a situation where you are certain you are secure you are ethically, if not legally, required to help in any way possible.

sounds reasonable.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Well, I don't own a gun, but, the time's hubby's been out of town and I've gone to bed with a knife on my nightstand, should I have had to use it, it would be so that I could get away from a threat, not so I could stick around. I'd be calling 911 for sure, but not going anywhere back near someone who posed a threat to my safety. I'd assume a gun owner would be much the same. The only difference is, with a knife in my hand, I'd be close enough to an attacker to make sure it wasn't hubby coming home unexpectedly. Guns don't afford that surety.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Yep.

I notice firearms don't even make the list.

what is the source of that graph?? Does it come from police reports, health agencies ??/ Or???

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
My attitude is driven by the fact of having to deal with the results of these shootings in ER and intensive care. If that is "emotional" so be it. Maybe the gun loving crowd should attend ER during a shootout and deal with the victims injuries. Give them a different perspective . All the laws and debates matter little when one is striving to save a gunshot victim. In fact it should be a requirement as part of gun purchasing that the potential buyer attend both, the ER following a shooting AND attend an autopsy of a gun shot victim. Only then will they have the "total" experience of gun ownership.

Perhaps we should compare per capita deaths or injury caused by medical professionals (including cleanliness which a lack of has caused huge issues) to those of legal firearms owners? Wait, lets throw in drug companies.
You seem quite selective in your damning.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Perhaps we should compare per capita deaths or injury caused by medical professionals (including cleanliness which a lack of has caused huge issues) to those of legal firearms owners? Wait, lets throw in drug companies.

the TOPIC is guns and a child killed by one. IF you want to talk about hospital incidents and toss in everything else you can think of.....please be kind enough to start a thread for that. In the meantime......lets not divert into irrelavent territory. thanks.

Important to note: stats and graphs are just numbers. They totally omit the HUMAN FACTOR. Seems the HUMAN FACTOR is the important one.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
perhaps we should compare per capita deaths or injury caused by medical professionals (including cleanliness which a lack of has caused huge issues) to those of legal firearms owners? Wait, lets throw in drug companies.

squirrel

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Yep.

Risk is inherent in freedom.

Being free is dangerous.

So are people that want us to be risk-free.

Has little to do with "freedom". But everything to do with life . Life is a risk Life is crap shoot. Yet all the more important to treasure it .No such thing as "risk free". That is the reality of life.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Try to kill em, and then try to save their life......hmmmm

Ya, I shot him, but it's ok, I tried to save his life afterward....all is good.

No Gerry, if a police officer or an armed citizen shoots an attacker, he should immediately approach him and deliver a coup de grace into the brain pain, thus relieving society of any expense of a trial.
(sarcasm alert)

(and insert rolled eyes here)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
but if you do need to shoot an attacker, whether he dies or not is besides the point.

I just love this one..... yup... because taking a life is really no big deal and is inconsequential.