Baptism

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm currently in the process of negotiating our soon-to-be child out of baptism (I'd rather let her choose) but the grand parents are definitely going to bring a fight.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm currently in the process of negotiating our soon-to-be child out of baptism (I'd rather let her choose) but the grand parents are definitely going to bring a fight.

Why? It's not like baptism locks the child into anything. If she decides to become a sihk down the road, they won't refuse her the right to be baptized because she was baptized into another faith as a baby.

Meh ... from what I've seen it means party and lotsa loot

When my kids were baptized there was no big party nor was there "lots of loot".

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The other thing I was told, going through the confirmation process was that baptism claims the souls of those baptised for (the Christian version of) God. In essence its like a spiritual branding, saying they're part of the Christian herd (or flock if you prefer). As for the baptism of infants, it goes back to the medieval preoccupation with dying in a state of grace (which carries on through some Christian denominations to this day). Looking at it in a modern context, it serves no function if you don't believe in Christianity. My wife & I talked about this in regards to our 2yr old (this weekend!) and while it would have been something our parents and extended families would have liked (especially with her great uncle being an RC preist), we don't share the belief and thus decided against doing it.

Conversely circumcission DOES have some medical ramifications. Again with our little guy, my wife and I discussed and decided to get this done. Talking with pediatricians, they said it does make care for an infant easier, with far less chance of urinary tract infection. The doctors we spoke with were very much in favour but not exclusively or stridently so.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Why? It's not like baptism locks the child into anything. If she decides to become a sihk down the road, they won't refuse her the right to be baptized because she was baptized into another faith as a baby.

I'd rather not set a religious precedent before she gets to look at things from a more educated perspective.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I still have the scar on my forehead where the holy water burned me. According to my parents I hissed at the priest "your mother sucks cocks in Hell!" True story. Swear to God.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Does Baptism of babies serve any useful purpose and if so why?

Baptism serves no useful purpose for infants because baptism is a spiritual experience that you should receive of your own free will. If fact, baptism of infants is dangerous. I know a "Catholic" fella who has doubts about God's existence, never asked Jesus Christ to come into his heart, and yet he thinks IF Christianity is true, he is saved because his parents had him baptized in infancy. Of course he's not saved, and thinking he is has put his eternity in jeopardy.

A person can only by saved if they allow it(free will), therefore you only have a baptism once your saved, or you get saved at your baptism(confessing Jesus Christ and then baptism at the same time). An infant can't consent to any of this.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Baptism serves no useful purpose for infants because baptism is a spiritual experience that you should receive of your own free will. If fact, baptism of infants is dangerous. I know a "Catholic" fella who has doubts about God's existence, never asked Jesus Christ to come into his heart, and yet he thinks IF Christianity is true, he is saved because his parents had him baptized in infancy. Of course he's not saved, and thinking he is has put his eternity in jeopardy.

A person can only by saved if they allow it(free will), therefore you only have a baptism once your saved, or you get saved at your baptism(confessing Jesus Christ and then baptism at the same time). An infant can't consent to any of this.

Spoken like a true Baptist!!!!

I think it is only valid if you are completely immersed in a river, while the congregation sings a rousing rendition of "Shall We Gather at the River"..........

:)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You could look at it as hedging your bet too: if the Christians are right and something happens, she's covered...

Why not just wait until you think you are in your last couple of years of life before moving over into "that lane"? :lol:

I still have the scar on my forehead where the holy water burned me. According to my parents I hissed at the priest "your mother sucks cocks in Hell!" True story. Swear to God.

That was naughty. :lol:

alleywayzalwayz;1467372IF Christianity is true said:
Of course he's not saved, and thinking he is has put his eternity in jeopardy.[/B]

As it hasn't been established that we have an "eternity", you are in danger of basing your opinion on a false premise! :smile:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

According to your revisionist sect of Chistianity; which is commonly practised by hillbillys in bingohalls.

The world is only 6000 thousand years old ya know? True story

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Serves no useful purpose. I'm not pleased with my parents decision to have my baptized or their attempt to indoctrinate me with fairy tales. They failed miserably.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Serves no useful purpose. I'm not pleased with my parents decision to have my baptized or their attempt to indoctrinate me with fairy tales. They failed miserably.

Yep, you have to keep an open mind when reading things like Jonah surviving for three days and three nights in the whale's belly.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yep, you have to keep an open mind when reading things like Jonah surviving for three days and three nights in the whale's belly.
Actually, if you look at it as metaphor and allegory, it all makes sense. When you take it literally it becomes fairy tale. Like Aesop's Fables, they have their usefulness.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Actually, if you look at it as metaphor and allegory, it all makes sense. When you take it literally it becomes fairy tale. Like Aesop's Fables, they have their usefulness.

Do any Christians believe the resurrection of Lazarus or Jesus are metaphors?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Do any Christians believe the resurrection of Lazarus or Jesus are metaphors?
No, but that is the trouble with religion; they believe in dogma more than the book. As soon as you believe that a book written by men is actually the "Word of God" you have lost the purpose for the book having been written in the first place.