Assistant Professor Goes on a Killing Spree

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
That is called 'strict gun control'.
That is not a fantasy, that is a reality. Canada is one of the safest places, one of the safest countries in the world.

So you're saying that there is no problem with crimes involving guns in Canada because we have strict gun control?

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I think that has more to do with the stupidity of the hunter than the stupidity of the gun. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

You have a point. Most of the guns I've ever met require a person to load them, cock them, choose a target, point the gun at it, and pull the trigger.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Funny thing Countryboy,,,,up in Northern Ontario one wouldn't think of leaving his vehicle unlocked on a back road and going for a walk ...in the summertime ....but come the hunting season...nobody thinks twice about leaving the motor running to step out and go into the bush after a partridge or a ruffed grouse....sometimes for quite a while when looking for it.
Wonder if the knowledge that everyone at that time of the year in the bush has a gun has anything to do with it?:lol:

Oh oh, you almost said the "D" word - deterrent. Oops, now I've gone and said it. Yep, you are right about not having a problem leaving the car wide open when you're armed - bad guys are basically gutless when confronted with meaningful opposition.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
You're splitting hairs, "female academic" isn't really a demographic, besides, it was you that did separate the female and academic criteria. I've seen the pidgeon hole and wide cast net techniques used often enough;-).

Why isn't 'female academics' a demographic'? I don't know how many female academics there are in USA, but it must be a fairly large number.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
This female academic person your mentioning killed her brother with a shotgun. It was deemed a accident at the time, but now the police think it might have been a cover-up. College degrees do not stop killings.

Quite so, scientists are subject the the same human foibles, the same biases as everybody else. All the same, normally one would not associate a scientist (especially a female scientist) with this kind of thing.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
If any good came out of Canada's Draconian firearms legislation I would say it is the requirement to take a course, (unfortunately they even got the practicality of that part wrong, because it doesn't require anyone to demonstrate proficiency in actual use). Regardless, the incidence of accidental shootings during legal use has dropped dramatically in the East, in fact to zero in four years for NS.

But again, I feel that if it is a requirement to demonstrate proficiency, it should only be if you wish to carry a firearm, any firearm, including pistols, concealed or otherwise, in public, and you should be allowed to do so at all times once that test is passed.

You may be right bob, I will take your word for it. It is just that I remember reading about 20 years ago of the high incidence of accidents during US deer hunting season. They mentioned roughly 200 fatalities during the season. Things may have improved these days, I don't know.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I guess you haven't heard about Jane/Finch in Toronto...

He probably has, as have many others. That area used to be one of my pizza delivery areas and I remember it well, as well as a number of other notorious localities, places where theory and reality rarely met. Even in the 70's I went there armed, legal or not, I never got mugged nor ever had to present a defense weapon, though there were occasions where it came close. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, and the thugs seem to know when you aren't prepared.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Quoting SirJosephPorter
In this respect, I remember reading a cartoon on this subject when I was at University of Utah (that was in the 70s) in the student newspaper (hunting enthusiasts may not find it funny).

A man has shot accidentally another man while hunting. The man is lying dead and the killer has his finger in his mouth, in a feeling of puzzlement and regret.

The pot bellied game warden says to him “All right, fella! This is gonna cost ya. Let’s have your hunting license.”

Actually, that joke says a lot. Especially if you do a little word substitution and apply it to driving a car. They always ask for your license. And you point is...?

Evidently you did not get the joke, countryboy. The implication there was that losing his hunting license was ALL the penalty he was going to suffer. The game warden wasn't asking for his license just to examine it like they do with car license.

The implication was that he was going to take away his hunting license (he of course could buy another) and that was the end of that, there will be no further penalties.

It was really the commentary on the numerous accidents that took place during the hunting season, and the fact that the killers usually got away with a slap on the wrist.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Quoting SirJosephPorter That is called 'strict gun control'.
That is not a fantasy, that is a reality. Canada is one of the safest places, one of the safest countries in the world.

So you're saying that there is no problem with crimes involving guns in Canada because we have strict gun control?

How did you go from one to the other, countryboy? Seems like a might big leap.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I guess you haven't heard about Jane/Finch in Toronto...

What does Jane/Finch have to do with anything, Risus? We are talking of statistics here, not individual areas. You will find comparable (and worse) areas in almost every big city. Statistically, Canada has a low crime rate (and it is falling), Canada is a very safe place.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Probably for the same reason black Christian converts to Islam aren't considered a demographic. It would keep demographers busy for decades:lol::lol::lol:.

Muslims are considered a demographic. Since Muslims are overwhelmingly black (there maybe a few white converts), black Muslims is a demographic.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
You may be right bob, I will take your word for it. It is just that I remember reading about 20 years ago of the high incidence of accidents during US deer hunting season. They mentioned roughly 200 fatalities during the season. Things may have improved these days, I don't know.

You are quite right, as firearms became things to fear and avoid and many people never learned how to use them properly, as their ancestors did. They became things of mystique and awe rather than tools. Remember too that the US also went through a generation of strict firearms controls, they are only still coming out of it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What does Jane/Finch have to do with anything, Risus? We are talking of statistics here, not individual areas. You will find comparable (and worse) areas in almost every big city. Statistically, Canada has a low crime rate (and it is falling), Canada is a very safe place.

S.J. - I distinctly remember Ron giving a few examples a couple of months ago of how statistics are completely unreliable. A lot of us learned from him that day..................didn't you? Statistics are a large part BULLSH*T.