Are There Any Moral Absolutes?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Upon mulling this over some more, maybe the best answer is that it is a personal thing. Judging other's morals can put you on a slippery slope. It's probably best to have two sets of standards, a high one for yourself and a lower one for what you can accept from others, since you don't know the circumstances that drive them.

My friends have taken to making fun of me for living a quite conservative lifestyle while advocating for an extremely liberal tolerance.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
My friends have taken to making fun of me for living a quite conservative lifestyle while advocating for an extremely liberal tolerance.

That is totally understandable since you have to pay for your lifestyle but not for theirs. Just makes good sense............:lol::lol:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Bluedog- I'm still waiting to hear the official explanation as to how Jonah survived inside the whale for "three days and three nights"- and how did he know it was just one long night because I imagine it is fairly dark in the inside of a whale. If you can give a satisfactory answer for that one, then I have another about the flood. HOw was Noah able to gather up a female and male of every animal in the world in the time it takes a flood to materialize. Determining the gender of a lot of those animals would be a little time consuming in itself don't you think? I realize he had the three sons to help him........but still.
Those are the big spectacular things, what about the small things like my hubby's favorite one, the talking bush that burns without being burnt. lmao I like the big ones, too, though; the parting of the Red Sea was awesome. lol But I did feel sorry for the fellow who's wife turned into salt. That smacked of Medusa's doing. (I love mixing mythologies)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, at least they are still your friends and you apparently are good-natured enough to not mind the ribbing. :) Good on ya!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Those are the big spectacular things, what about the small things like my hubby's favorite one, the talking bush that burns without being burnt. lmao I like the big ones, too, though; the parting of the Red Sea was awesome. lol But I did feel sorry for the fellow who's wife turned into salt. That smacked of Medusa's doing. (I love mixing mythologies)

Yeah that was pretty tricky, do you think there's a grain of truth there? (pun intended):lol:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Actually, I wonder if it might not be their revenge, because I rib them pretty hard.

Ouch. I remember being ribbed pretty good. I was stretching and my side was exposed. Didn't feel nice. But I probably had it coming for the same reasons you do. ;-)

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Upon mulling this over some more, maybe the best answer is that it is a personal thing. Judging other's morals can put you on a slippery slope. It's probably best to have two sets of standards, a high one for yourself and a lower one for what you can accept from others, since you don't know the circumstances that drive them.

Your starting to scratch the surface here. As I've said before we all judge according to the moral standard that's objective of yourself. And one really good example of the moral standard is that although we often have competing instincts, something else often tells to ignore the stronger instinct in order to do something more noble. For example, if you hear somebody who is being mugged calling for help, your stronger instinct may be to stay safe and not "get involved". Your weaker instinct might be to help. Good guy C.S. Lewis puts it this way,

But you will find inside you, in addition to these two impulses, a third thing which tells you that you ought to follow the impulse to help, and suppress the impulse to run away. Now this thing that judges between two instincts, that decides which should be encouraged, cannot itself be either of them. You might as well say the sheet of music which tells you, at a given moment, to play one note on the piano and not another, is itself one of the notes on the keyboard. The Moral Law tells
us the tune we have to play: our instincts are merely the keys.

Pretty smart guy eh? ;-):cool:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Your starting to scratch the surface here. As I've said before we all judge according to the moral standard that's objective of yourself. And one really good example of the moral standard is that although we often have competing instincts, something else often tells to ignore the stronger instinct in order to do something more noble. For example, if you hear somebody who is being mugged calling for help, your stronger instinct may be to stay safe and not "get involved". Your weaker instinct might be to help. Good guy C.S. Lewis puts it this way,

But you will find inside you, in addition to these two impulses, a third thing which tells you that you ought to follow the impulse to help, and suppress the impulse to run away. Now this thing that judges between two instincts, that decides which should be encouraged, cannot itself be either of them. You might as well say the sheet of music which tells you, at a given moment, to play one note on the piano and not another, is itself one of the notes on the keyboard. The Moral Law tells
us the tune we have to play: our instincts are merely the keys.

Yes, but that isn't really indicative of his intelligence. People have had consciences for a loooooooong time.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Yes, but that isn't really indicative of his intelligence. People have had consciences for a loooooooong time.

Okay, but nature doesn't have morality. Remember? What does a molecule of hate weigh? Its a pointless question because nature is biological, material, cold, and harsh. The strong survive. So the moral law doesn't come from nature and its only logical that it comes from a moral law-giver.

Last edited:

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W

C.S. Lewis was an atheist who thought his reasons and evidence for such was all the evil he witnessed in the world. Upon realizing that he was comparing (a man can only call a line crooked if he has some idea of a straight one)"evil" to an absolute standard outside of himself, he was led out of atheism and into Christianity.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In the spiritual world do the same rules apply as in the physical world where every action has an equal and opposite reaction?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Okay, but nature doesn't have morality. Remember? What does a molecule of hate weigh? Its a pointless question because nature is biological, material, cold, and harsh. The strong survive. So the moral law doesn't come from nature and its only logical that it comes from a moral law-giver.
Nuts. I threw a wooden alphabet block and hit my lil sis on the head when I was about 3. I had no idea about gods and gremlins, morals and morons. I simply felt bad when she cried. I never hit her again. That was the nature of me.