Are there any chain restaurants that provide the likes of "granny's home cookin'?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I have a Metis neighbour who'll gladly bring me heart, liver, kidneys, tongue ... even testicles if I wanted (not really) whenever he gets a moose. It doesn't take a lot of effort to kill a gamey taste. Eww factor is a lot harder to counter.
Organ meats contain cholesterol and should not be eaten by someone with a heart condition (except on very rare occassions). Tongue! Gross! I think I'd rather go for the gizzard and I think that's gross.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
In Hope, BC there is the "Home Restaurant" and they have great food. Don't order the mushroom burger! It is a massive plate full of mushrooms. I've watched people order it and then just sit there in awe. They don't even know where to begin to eat it. As you walk in the door they have a rotating dessert curio with every kind of pie going. I have never gone there without waiting in a lineup no matter the time of year or day of the week.
I remember that! We've been there. lol It was pretty tasty for a days worth of meals. :D

I'm not much for eating innards either. I pretty much stick to the muscle tissue off sides, backs, and limbs. That's a scary part of eating restaurants, especially when you order sausage or ground meat meals.
The cooks at our local pub will cook anything any way you like if you bring them what you want to eat. Nifty idea. Mostly what they cook is fish, though, as there's a lot of fishing going on over here. But we've taken wild game there to have pizza made of it (stuff like elk and moose meat pizza).

Last edited:

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I haven't seen a restaurant in BC that serves catfish, gizzards, or grits. I'll pass on burnt fish, gizzards, but I have had grits and think it's ok.

Anyway, there are good ways of cooking, and bad ways, and I think restaurants all like to include fats, sugars, and salt because they inhibits the bodily function that tells us when we are full. And those items are not healthy in sizeable quantities.

I would never eat gizzards, heart or liver from a restaurant..

Home and properly cooked.. It has been many years since I have had some for that reason..,

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Delicacies??? Fried chicken gizzards or blackened catfish are what you call delicacies?
I bet that along with myself, there are numerous other people on here that would have a lot of names for such food but delicacy would hardly be one of them. Sorry but the mere thought makes me shudder.

Hog jowls are good too, and head cheese is something I'd die/kill for.

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
In Toronto Tulip Steakhouse
Doesn't hold a candle to the original "Diamond's Steakhouse" proir to being called the Tulip. The Tulip is still far & away better any other steakhouse in Toronto at their pyice point.
The best Steak on a Kaiser "Big M" in Bay Ridges (Pickering)
The best French Fries The Delux In Sudbury
Notice a recurring theme no chains

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Vanisle, long time since you and me opposed each other. Thanks for your comment.

Shudder? Have you ever tried either? I must confess I was also leery at first, but believe me, they are DELICIOUS! And so are shark fins. And alligator tail.

I hear you Y.J. a lot of the best food is stuff you'd never think of. My wife is funny that way if something looks funny and smells funny, she won't even touch it. NO food savvy I guess.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In Hope, BC there is the "Home Restaurant" and they have great food. Don't order the mushroom burger! It is a massive plate full of mushrooms. I've watched people order it and then just sit there in awe. They don't even know where to begin to eat it. As you walk in the door they have a rotating dessert curio with every kind of pie going. I have never gone there without waiting in a lineup no matter the time of year or day of the week.

Is that place still in operation? I ate there on a regular basis over 25 years ago- excellent cookin' but I doubt if it's still the same cook as she was pushing 70 then I would guess.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No Jack. I have not tried any of that and I can assure you - it will never cross my lips. Even the turkey gizzard hits the trash at Christmas time as will the chicken livers when I put the chickens in to roast tonight. Love fried chicken but not the oil required to fry it in. We are closing in on the New Year quickly so it's time to start slowly cutting back over the next 3 or 4 days to a bigger cut back Jan. 2nd. I am clearing my house of shortbread, butter tarts, boxes of chocolates and anything that fits in with it. Moving onto healthy cooking and eating and no gorging.

Surely you don't waste the neck and the jiblets- every piece of our turkey gets put to good use. I make turkey soup a lot and that is just a perfect place for nexk and giblets. There is not enough of that organ meat to be a concern as far as cholesterol is concerned and if you are concerned you can just walk for an hour to burn it off. WASTE NOT WANT NOT.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I hear you Y.J. a lot of the best food is stuff you'd never think of. My wife is funny that way if something looks funny and smells funny, she won't even touch it. NO food savvy I guess.
I'll pretty much try anything. It's the taste that guides me in what I eat.

Restaurants aren't usually a big draw for me because they make meals from inferior ingredients. Why would I eat a burger from a restaurant that uses bland tomatoes, lettuce, beef, Kraft slices, etc. and rely on a "special" sauce to give the sandwich some flavor when I can build a burger at home with home grown tomatoes, home grown onions, real cheddar, and my cousin's range beef? Even my homemade pizzas are better than restaurant fare. So, I doubt I'll ever find a restaurant, chain or otherwise, that serves as good a meal as I can get at home. And it's simply because of the ingredients.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Organ meats contain cholesterol and should not be eaten by someone with a heart condition (except on very rare occassions). Tongue! Gross! I think I'd rather go for the gizzard and I think that's gross.

Cardio guy says moose is one of the better ones ... but pretty much the same as you. It did prompt me to take a look ... and from the Timmins Times
In Ontario, the recommendation is not to eat any organ meat from moose and deer. The reason is that the liver, kidney, and heart can have high amounts of cadmium and other heavy metal contaminants.

...and here lives wolf downwind from three smelters....

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Getting back to the title about "granny's cooking".

When I was a child in war-torn Hungary, there was no such thing as a wasted part of an animal. (My granny cooked the best meals of my memory and she never wasted anything). That kind of luxury is clearly the legacy of a spoiled, rich country.

I never knew good beef until I came to Canada. Neither have I ever had a single bite of "disgusting" creepy crawler like shrimp. Or slimy oyster. Or crab. Turtle soup? Forget it!

Vanisle, you are disgusted by tongue, because of where it's been? Are you similarly disgusted by eggs, based on where they came from?

Methinks, if not, you should be!

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
countryboy reacted to my post thus:

"Hey, YJ...are we talking about places like Shoney's? Yikes, their food is pretty heavy-duty in terms of bad fats and such. I think we're talking "industrial food" supreme, at least at most truck stops I've been to...could be wrong though...it's been a while since I did a long road trip to the U.S."

countryboy, I did not mean Shoney's, although after 12 or more hours of driving in the U.S. I am usually more interested in quantity than quality, so a Shoney supper buffet usually fits the bill to e T.

I meant Mom and Pop operations wher you can get delicacies as fried chicken gizzards. Or blackened catfish. Or grits.

YJ - Mom and Pop operations? You bet! Sorry, I was thinking of the big commercial chain restaurants when you mentioned truck stops. You are right - the U.S. has some really good small eateries that turn out some "might good vittles."

I had some fried chicken down in Kentucky one time at a little Ma & Pa place right on the highway and let me tell you, it was the best fried chicken I've ever had - before or since. The mashed 'taters were homemade, ditto on the gravy, and the cole slaw was real. And the biskits was right out of the oven! Hell, they even had these goofy little paper placemats that had words from a "southern dictionary" all over them..."tar" - a round black rubbery object that a car rides on. "tar-arn" - A wrench-like device used to change a "tar." Lots of that kind of thing...hilarious. And the food was cheap. Service was friendly and nice.

I wish we had more places like that 'on the road' up here...we seem to have gone the way of the big chain fast food joints - all the same and none too good, and I don't like it a bit.

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
Just wondering if there is a commercial place where one can be assured of a healthy meal

And just what makes you think that 'Granny's' home cookin' was healthy? Just because it was made at home didn't make it good for you. i used to vacation at my gramdmama's, an the meal would extend form Sunday to final leftovers on Saturday. My Dad worked on a farm in the summers. Apparently all this 'farm cookin' is more wholesome and better than 'gentrified cookin' stuff is garbage.He ate horribly for th summer. Having great produce and meat at your disposal doesn't mean that you can use it to it's best. and just because you're a 'granny' doesn't mean you can cook.
Let's face it. Granny had just as much chance to be a crappy cook as any one else - you either like to do it or you don't. 'Country' does not necessarily equate with wholesome and healthful'. Bad cooks exist everywhere - and your granny just may have been one of them.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
And just what makes you think that 'Granny's' home cookin' was healthy? Just because it was made at home didn't make it good for you. i used to vacation at my gramdmama's, an the meal would extend form Sunday to final leftovers on Saturday. My Dad worked on a farm in the summers. Apparently all this 'farm cookin' is more wholesome and better than 'gentrified cookin' stuff is garbage.He ate horribly for th summer. Having great produce and meat at your disposal doesn't mean that you can use it to it's best. and just because you're a 'granny' doesn't mean you can cook.
Let's face it. Granny had just as much chance to be a crappy cook as any one else - you either like to do it or you don't. 'Country' does not necessarily equate with wholesome and healthful'. Bad cooks exist everywhere - and your granny just may have been one of them.

That's too bad. Just to add a balance, both my grannies were fabulous cooks. The Scottish/American one tended to overcook the veggies, but the rest of her stuff was pretty good. The Mennonite granny's cookin' was nothing short of legendary. Sumptuous everything, from baking to desserts to lovely main dishes, salads, everything...just bloody great!

Sorry for your experiences...my old "farm grannies" were the greatest, and all their daughters (my many aunties) were just as good, some even better. Oink, oink, I never realized what a lucky young eater I was until I moved away from home to the big city and discovered "how the other half lived." eek.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

You are getting hung up on semantics, if you don't like "granny" substitute "Granny's era". Actually Anna makes perfect sense in post 49- no use me just repeating what she said.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Is that place still in operation? I ate there on a regular basis over 25 years ago- excellent cookin' but I doubt if it's still the same cook as she was pushing 70 then I would guess.

I think we talked about HOME restaurants in the past, and
I mentioned then, that there is also one in Merritt, same
company, same food.
Great food, but too much of it if one wants to maintain
the waistline, and not lose it.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I think we talked about HOME restaurants in the past, and
I mentioned then, that there is also one in Merritt, same
company, same food.
Great food, but too much of it if one wants to maintain
the waistline, and not lose it.

I used to like the HOME restaurant in Hope until a couple of years ago when I ordered a mushroom burger. It came with an entire can of room temperature mushrooms all over it. The flavour was a big turn-off...briny, canned mushrooms not even rinsed off. Yuck. I asked the server if this was the normal way to serve it and she said "yes." Wasn't a great meal.