Are there any chain restaurants that provide the likes of "granny's home cookin'?

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Anyone remember voyaguer restaraunts with the big red hats?
I used to look forward to the drive to saskatchewan as a kid just to hit one of those.

Wasn't that the chain that was part of the Esso gas stations?

We used to hit a similar one just outside of Winnipeg and we always got a charge out of their huge, revolving sign...one side of it said "Eat" and as it revolved and the other side came into view, it said "Gas." My mother would be telling my brother and I to "shush" as we made our way into the "Farting Restaurant."

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
We also buy Chinese from Quality Foods. At least we used to. We live across the street now from a real Chinese Restaurant and it's easier to just walk over and pick it up. Chinese food isn't particularly healthy (prepared the Canadian way). SOM also serves some chinese. I don't like it. Also have lots of great salads but they are very costly so I bring my own to work. SOM serves a terrific chicken pie but - regardless of how great it tastes, pastry and gravy are not the best foods to be eating. (even though I am making turkey pie tonight). Thrifty's, Super Store and SOM all sell Sushi. Another thing I don't eat. Rice is a lot more fattening then most people realize as well.
JLM: There isn't a chain or even a Mom and Pop operation that serves real healthy food. Places that make food for profit make it off flavour and flavour comes in fat foods like butter and oil and sauces. Olive oil for example is a healthy oil but it's still fat and will make you just as fat as lard if you have too much of it. Everything deep fried is un-healthy eating and most things fried are un-healthy. Better to BBQ at home. No added fat. Too much pasta is bad. Turns to sugar which turns to fat in your body. We ate whole wheat pasta for quite awhile but soon came to dis-like it. Have to watch portions now more than ever since we eat white again.

Rice pasta is ok once in awhile, tastes fine, but doesn't
cook to the texture one wants quite so easily.
The only chinese food I order in QF is rice or chow mein,
and we don't even get that very often, a little too much
salt in it for me.
At the sushi counter, they have the sticky rice, I like that
with a little butter stirred in, and their fresh veggies
are very good, not chinese style.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

We used to hit a similar one just outside of Winnipeg and we always got a charge out of their huge, revolving sign...one side of it said "Eat" and as it revolved and the other side came into view, it said "Gas." My mother would be telling my brother and I to "shush" as we made our way into the "Farting Restaurant."

I think it was part of esso.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
JLM, why don’t you start a chain of restaurants, called ‘Granny’s Home Cookin’? That is that title of your thread. Put a picture, of sweet, old, lovable granny besides the name.

With a name like that you are bound to attract plenty of customers, whether the food is any good or not.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM, why don’t you start a chain of restaurants, called ‘Granny’s Home Cookin’? That is that title of your thread. Put a picture, of sweet, old, lovable granny besides the name.

With a name like that you are bound to attract plenty of customers, whether the food is any good or not.

Just a couple of slight problems like I'm getting too long in the tooth to start anything and secondly ability to cook, or (having lots of money) would be a handy prerequisite and third I don't want ANY responsibilities..............:lol::lol::lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
One thing to remember is that pretty much every restaurant gets their food from one of about 4 wholesalers/food service companies. So the raw ingredients are pretty much the same.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Just a couple of slight problems like I'm getting too long in the tooth to start anything and secondly ability to cook, or (having lots of money) would be a handy prerequisite and third I don't want ANY responsibilities..............:lol::lol::lol:
You don't want to open a business in your town JLM. The people there are not receptive to new businesses and they don't like change. We purchased a Fish & Chip shop there and then we re-modeled it and brought in quality fish. All they wanted was their grubby little place back with the cheap food that had been offered before. We should have known better because we had seen it happen before. The whole place is gone now. I don't know how it happened but the next person managed to burn it to the ground.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Granny's in the cellar

Oh Lordy can't you smell her

Mak'in bisquits on her damned old dirty stove

In her eye there is some matter

That keeps dripping in the batter

And she whistles as the slurppp runs down her nose.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
My grannys were both horrible cooks, and you'd be more likely to die from food poisoning if you ate their food.
i was gonna write that, but you beat me too it. I mean who serves blood pudding to a 6 year old! Not that she cooked it, but still!!

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
countryboy reacted to my post thus:

"Hey, YJ...are we talking about places like Shoney's? Yikes, their food is pretty heavy-duty in terms of bad fats and such. I think we're talking "industrial food" supreme, at least at most truck stops I've been to...could be wrong though...it's been a while since I did a long road trip to the U.S."

countryboy, I did not mean Shoney's, although after 12 or more hours of driving in the U.S. I am usually more interested in quantity than quality, so a Shoney supper buffet usually fits the bill to e T.

I meant Mom and Pop operations wher you can get delicacies as fried chicken gizzards. Or blackened catfish. Or grits.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
countryboy reacted to my post thus:

"Hey, YJ...are we talking about places like Shoney's? Yikes, their food is pretty heavy-duty in terms of bad fats and such. I think we're talking "industrial food" supreme, at least at most truck stops I've been to...could be wrong though...it's been a while since I did a long road trip to the U.S."

countryboy, I did not mean Shoney's, although after 12 or more hours of driving in the U.S. I am usually more interested in quantity than quality, so a Shoney supper buffet usually fits the bill to e T.

I meant Mom and Pop operations wher you can get delicacies as fried chicken gizzards. Or blackened catfish. Or grits.
Delicacies??? Fried chicken gizzards or blackened catfish are what you call delicacies?
I bet that along with myself, there are numerous other people on here that would have a lot of names for such food but delicacy would hardly be one of them. Sorry but the mere thought makes me shudder.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Vanisle, long time since you and me opposed each other. Thanks for your comment.

Shudder? Have you ever tried either? I must confess I was also leery at first, but believe me, they are DELICIOUS! And so are shark fins. And alligator tail.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
No Jack. I have not tried any of that and I can assure you - it will never cross my lips. Even the turkey gizzard hits the trash at Christmas time as will the chicken livers when I put the chickens in to roast tonight. Love fried chicken but not the oil required to fry it in. We are closing in on the New Year quickly so it's time to start slowly cutting back over the next 3 or 4 days to a bigger cut back Jan. 2nd. I am clearing my house of shortbread, butter tarts, boxes of chocolates and anything that fits in with it. Moving onto healthy cooking and eating and no gorging.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

I think Husky service stations still have truck stops. There's one in Kelowna (BC) and one in Osoyoos and one in Crannybrook. Not sure about in between. The food seems to vary from one to the other.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Delicacies??? Fried chicken gizzards or blackened catfish are what you call delicacies?
I bet that along with myself, there are numerous other people on here that would have a lot of names for such food but delicacy would hardly be one of them. Sorry but the mere thought makes me shudder.

Now I would have to agree with YJ that Chicken gizzards are great.,..

I have had catfish ( not sure if it was blackened or not ) and it was fine.. I am not a Fish fan so I would not rate them as high as the Chicken gizzards.. :p

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Vanisle, my wife and I moved to the country a few years ago. It was our luck that we bought a house next to a beef farmer, with whom and his wfe and kids (all adults) we made fast friends.

So, the first time in our new aquiantance, they invited us to attend the slaughter, dinner and butchering of a well-deserving, fattened-up heifer.

To my greatest consternation the boys - who did the butchering - were ready to throw away the entire head, including the tongue, also, the heart, the liver and the kidneys. They claimed that the only thing worth eating was the meat, like steak, roast, tenderloin, shanks, etc.

Upon my special request they saved the tongue, liver, kidneys and liver for me.

In the next few days I applied my culinary skills and produced a meal with each of the aforementioned organs, following recipes I learned when I was young enhanced by recipes I found in an ethnic cook-book, that our new friends never dreamed of, or tried because of their inbred and ingrown prejudice.

Let me tell you, after they tasted my meals, they told me they would never discard those organs, again.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I haven't seen a restaurant in BC that serves catfish, gizzards, or grits. I'll pass on burnt fish, gizzards, but I have had grits and think it's ok.

Anyway, there are good ways of cooking, and bad ways, and I think restaurants all like to include fats, sugars, and salt because they inhibits the bodily function that tells us when we are full. And those items are not healthy in sizeable quantities.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I have a Metis neighbour who'll gladly bring me heart, liver, kidneys, tongue ... even testicles if I wanted (not really) whenever he gets a moose. It doesn't take a lot of effort to kill a gamey taste. Eww factor is a lot harder to counter.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I think Husky service stations still have truck stops. There's one in Kelowna (BC) and one in Osoyoos and one in Crannybrook. Not sure about in between. The food seems to vary from one to the other.
In Hope, BC there is the "Home Restaurant" and they have great food. Don't order the mushroom burger! It is a massive plate full of mushrooms. I've watched people order it and then just sit there in awe. They don't even know where to begin to eat it. As you walk in the door they have a rotating dessert curio with every kind of pie going. I have never gone there without waiting in a lineup no matter the time of year or day of the week.