Anything Multicultural Is Good Now

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The entire concept of multiculturalism has been an ill conceived disaster. It has fostered a culture of complaint.. of perceived victimization. It has created a proliferation of micro cultures.. and undermined a sense of nationalism, common heritage, self sacrifice and patriotism. Patria now is to the 'hood', the ethnic ghetto.. and heaven help anyone who 'disses' a 'home boy'.

This is probably true in the urban concentration camps of the big cities. Out here in rural Canada the community is sacrosanct.

Nationalism and patriotism are the main causes of wars between nations, especially any nation that does not bow down to the mighty US of Aggression.

Our government is run by weaklings, in intellect and character, these days, compared to those who built the country.

The first part is true, but the founding fathers were a bunch of power hungry elitists who did not want to share that power with the British Crown. This country was built on the murder and theft of our aboriginal people and their lands. Not what I would call inspiring.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
When your own identity is lost in so many other who want to be king, I can't see where multiculturalism makes us strong. Worrying what the neighbours think is the surest path of losing all track of self.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The first part is true, but the founding fathers were a bunch of power hungry elitists who did not want to share that power with the British Crown. This country was built on the murder and theft of our aboriginal people and their lands. Not what I would call inspiring.

OMG.

Okay.....first of all, the people that brought Canada together in Confederation did so for two reasons: most importantly, fear and loathing of the United States. Something I thought you would understand. Secondly, the British Colonial Office wanted to get rid of us.....we were hardly stealing their fire: more like they were booting us out of the nest.

I have NO idea where you've been reading Canadian history....

As for aboriginal BS, I do wish you would spare me the guilt and self-loathing.....

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The world is becoming more and more migratory all the time. The Nation and the State are becoming more and more separated. This is not just happening in Canada but everywhere.

This is a good thing.

Boy, fuzzy minded nonsense. Because, now why do we need a passport to enter the USA?

The immigration plan ought to be to let in young people who will work, pay taxes, have kids, and can speak some English. Why let in old people that are a drain on the system?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
OMG.

Okay.....first of all, the people that brought Canada together in Confederation did so for two reasons: most importantly, fear and loathing of the United States. Something I thought you would understand. Secondly, the British Colonial Office wanted to get rid of us.....we were hardly stealing their fire: more like they were booting us out of the nest.

As for aboriginal BS, I do wish you would spare me the guilt and self-loathing.....
How's this for aboriginal BS, Mr. Colpy?
According to the benevolent, all-wise palefaces (I love that term lmao) the children of mixed marriages where the man is the aboriginal are granted native status. The kids of those marriages where the female is aboriginal aren't granted native status unless there are special circumstances. Go figure. There's quite a few other regs that are different but just as goofy.

http://www.nwac-hq.org/en/documents/nwac-partnerships.pdf

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
''Killing and robbing them was OK and was supported by scripture. ''

Oh Canada! Our home on native land.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If the Conservatives bring in the protection of the fetus from inception to birth my vote will be with Harper and if the Conservatives do introduce it and passes they will get the majority.

You do realise don't you that not all Conservatives are pro-life just as not all Liberals are necessarily pro-life? And if pro-life is your one-issue concern, then why not just vote Christian Heritage?

By the way, I'm pro-life too, but I'll still take other factors into account. A pro-life candidate who enjoys taking partisan pock shots all the time, and supports an illegal war (how pro-life is that?) will likely not get my vote.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
''was considered some great victory to open up Canada to non-white immigration in the 1960s, a victory for how openminded we could be I guess.''

If you don't mind me asking, who exactly opened it up to white immigrants in the first place?

The Royal Navy.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think we have to cut the Natives a little slack there- it was a novelty to them and the white man used it (and them) to the whiteman's advantage. Having said that, it's now time to get on with things and all Canadian citizens should have the same rights and responsibilities.

Good post. I'd like ot add too that the last residential school was closed in 1990! Many of todays Aboriginals come from parents who may have been raped, beaten, neglected, or otherwise mistreated by the schoolmasters, and separated from their parents. As such, many of them never learnt how to be parents as they had no role model, not even their parents as they were forcibly separated from them! So many from the current generation of Aboriginals have likely been raised by disfuncitonal parents, some using drogs or alcohol to try to drown childhood traumas, etc. Now extend that to entire communities. I remember reading of one community in Eastern Canada that had to be put in an addiction hospital a few years back. Nearly the entire community.

Granted, many communities have in fact climbed out of this predicament, and some reserves are quite nice and middle class even. I'm just pointing out though that those that have failed may be dealing with trauma or other psychological or emotional or other problems that have simply been passed down from parent to child.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
"I think we have to cut the Natives a little slack there- it was a novelty to them and the white man used it (and them) to the whiteman's advantage. Having said that, it's now time to get on with things and all Canadian citizens should have the same rights and responsibilities."

JLM, name just ONE conquered people who was ever given more slack than "Native"/"First Nation" Americans/Canadians.

Tax free everything. Subsidized everything. Return nothing. Or at least, very little.

I fully agree with you that all Canadian citizens should have the same rights and responsibilities. Including Indians.

Remember that some of their tax breaks, etc. are based on treaty obligations with the British. If the monarch of the time disagreed with this, then we never should have signed the treaty. You say we're all Canadians. Remember though that in law, these treaties were in fact international between Her Majesty's government and the Aboriginal nations. In that respect, we got their land for a price. If we want to renege on the treaty, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. Give the land back to them and ship out.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
We're not 'Indian givers' now are we, where we sing treaties only to trash them at will? Then again, it wouldn't be the first time.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Back to the multiculturalism issue, certinly a common culture is necessary for a people, though that does not mean imposing one ethnic culture on everyone, but rather create a new culture that all can agree to. Beyong that, a person can know as many cultures as he wants.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
We're not 'Indian givers' now are we, where we sing treaties only to trash them at will? Then again, it wouldn't be the first time.
Perhaps not but it was probably pretty easy way back when to write a treaty that the paleface (lol) wouldn't need to rescind anything from. Aboriginals weren't educated at McGill's law faculty, you see. The palefaces shot themselves in the foot along with a lot of other people. They started to teach aboriginals how to read and write English and French.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Perhaps not but it was probably pretty easy way back when to write a treaty that the paleface (lol) wouldn't need to rescind anything from. Aboriginals weren't educated at McGill's law faculty, you see. The palefaces shot themselves in the foot along with a lot of other people. They started to teach aboriginals how to read and write English and French.

Absolutely. Had we kept them in the dark about their ancestor's treaties, we could then wash our hands of them today. Lesson for next time we conquor a people... rewrite history before they read it.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
OMG.

Right, we were no asset to Britain, only the Colonial Office had the slightest interest us, we were just an obligation and duty of empire to manage while Britain was in thrall to the USA. Empires only care about power and we had little to make us interesting.

Doesn't multiculturalism smell like a legacy of empire? All these people together that will never be united, will never become proper Englishmen. Sure, let them be multicultural, for that is what are. Okay for an empire, not good for a country.