Anti-war protester Cindy Sheehan brings message north

Mogz

Council Member
Jan 26, 2006
Edmonton
My 61 cents:

This woman annoys me to no end. Yes i'm sorry her son was killed in Iraq, but she sullies his memory and the memory of every soldier killed in a foreign land by her media antics. He joined the army, went to war, and was killed. He isn't the first, and he won't be the last. The War in Iraq is not illegal. It's sketchy at best, but you cannot place legal labels on warfare. I'm sure that the Boers of South Africa thought the Commonwealth Invasion of The Dutch Free State was an illegal war. Don't you think The Greeks and Turks both thought the War in Cyprus was illegal? Was not the first Gulf War illegal? You can put a spin on any war and deem it unjust, but in the end no one has a right to declare a war illegal. In the grand scheme of things, all wars are illegal as they're the invasion of one nation by another. Did we have just cause to invaded North Korea in 1950-1953? Should we have deployed troops to engage Serbia in 1998-1999? Deeming the War in Iraq "illegal" has become trendy, something that North American culture clings to just like episodes of American Idol and Survivor. People don't think for themselves anymore, it's a downside of the information age. Now don't get me wrong, I don't fully support the War in Iraq. I do see where the United States and it's allies are coming from, and I do support aspects of the Operation. I think the World is a better place with Saddam behind bars. I do not however think the War should still be ongoing. I think the Americans fumbled some crucial steps in the pacification of post-war Iraq, and as such the body count will continue to rise. I feel for Cindy Sheehan, I really do. I have been close to several individuals either killed and/or wounded in Afghanistan and i've seen the pain that radiates from the families. However one thing all those families have in common is their unwavering support for what their loved ones did, and what others were still doing. A prime example is the parents of Pte. Richard Green, killed in 2002 by an errant 500lb bombed dropped by a U.S. F-16. His parents never wanted him to go to Afghanistan, they deemd it "not our war", however one thing they remained steadfast on, is that Richard was a soldier, he signed up, did his duty, and was killed carrying out the wishes of his nation. They also said they supported every member of the 3 PPCLI Battle Group still in Afghanistan, and would never let their support wane. In a nutshell, they disagreed with why their son was taken, but accepted the fact he had a job to do. Ms. Sheehan, isn't in touch with reality. Yes her son was killed, I do honestly feel for her, but I cannot fathom why she'd whore herself out on national television. Have you ever listened to her speak? She doesn't inhabit the reality everyone else does. She lives in a bubble. Does she honestly expect Canada to let the soldiers of our closest ally desert to our nation? Talk about bad politics. Lastly before I go, I would like to say i'm against desertion. A problem with society these days is an utter lack of responsibility. If you join a branch of the military, you have a responsibility to live up to. When you sign on that dotted line, you in essence sign your life over to the nation. You cease being a civilian and become a tool. I've heard Ms. Sheehan rant on about how her son was lied to, and how he didn't know what he was getting in to. My retort; was your son a moron? He joined the Army of the most highly equipped and highly proactive nation on the planet. He joined when a War in Iraq was in full swing, not to mention a War also in Afghanistan. Her son joined the artillery, a combat arms trade. He had to be aware that his primary job was to inflict damage upon the enemy via direct and indirect fire. He was an instrument of war. Did he honestly believe he'd never encounter the enenmy? In short, could someone have been that ignorant?

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Yes, Mogz, thank you. No matter what the subject matter, if it is repeated and expounded upon ad infinitum, then sensationalized, plus heavily mixed with hysteria - the intended point will not only be totally lost - it will create avoidance and distaste.

Cindy, shut up. You are doing your son an injustice that he doesn't deserve. And what in the world does Canada have to do with it? Geez - she's running out of an audience in the US.

Uncle