Another Tamil ship on its way to our shores

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights provides that "everyone has the right to seek and enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution."

That statement does not seem to indicate that the asylum seekers can employ criminal means to get here nor does it touch on fake refugee claims nor does it cover maritime defense laws.
Ohhh snap...(Sorry, been hangin around lamebook.com lately)

To folks like him International Law and UN Treaties supercede Canadian Law. In their quest to be loved and noticed they will sacrifice all that makes your country Canada.
Yep. And they'll ***** out all their principles in the process.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Ship heading to B.C. with Tamil refugees is just the beginning: expert

Read more: Ship heading to B.C. with Tamil refugees is just the beginning: expert

This guy is of the opinion that the smugglers are basically gaming us with this boat, and our reaction will determine whether the smugglers increase the criminal operations to our ports.

This is exactly the reason why this boat should not be allowed to enter our waters.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Then we should unsign ourselves from all the international treaties regarding refugees which require us to provide these people a safe haven. Until then, we are obligated to keep our word.

Why should we unsign from anything? If they're not patient enough to wait their turns, why should we make patient people wait so we can accommodate them? Just how important are they? Our word is the law. They want to break our word to put themselves first. Our quota on pushy people is overfull.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Ship heading to B.C. with Tamil refugees is just the beginning: expert

This guy is of the opinion that the smugglers are basically gaming us with this boat, and our reaction will determine whether the smugglers increase the criminal operations to our ports.

This is exactly the reason why this boat should not be allowed to enter our waters.

Jam packed with Tamil Tigers to boot!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Then we should unsign ourselves from all the international treaties regarding refugees which require us to provide these people a safe haven. Until then, we are obligated to keep our word.

A number of countries turn them away or as Australia used to do - Intern them till they were processed - Australia also deports them to other countries. me i am for the internment and then deporting -
Canada is easier to get into than community College. Except for you that is.
Are you not tired of people handing you your ass?

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
How about telling them they can stay if they settle one one of the northern Archipelago Islands... one with lots of tundra.

That does three thing:

1) Proves whether or not they really want to get away from where they're sailing from, versus just trying to soft-shoe around the immigration laws.

2) Boosts Canada's claim to the northern archipelago. The US still won't recognize Canadian sovereignty over the northern archipelago - only up to the northern north American shore - and the best way to justify a claim to a territory is to have your people there.

3) If global warming is going to keep accelerating at the rate it seems to be, then people are going to want to move north as the south dries up and blows away, but tundra is just frozen marshland, which means the north will become a massively huge, scanky swampland, and *somebody* will have to drain it if it's to become livable.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
How about telling them they can stay if they settle one one of the northern Archipelago Islands... one with lots of tundra.

That does three thing:

1) Proves whether or not they really want to get away from where they're sailing from, versus just trying to soft-shoe around the immigration laws.

2) Boosts Canada's claim to the northern archipelago. The US still won't recognize Canadian sovereignty over the northern archipelago - only up to the northern north American shore - and the best way to justify a claim to a territory is to have your people there.

3) If global warming is going to keep accelerating at the rate it seems to be, then people are going to want to move north as the south dries up and blows away, but tundra is just frozen marshland, which means the north will become a massively huge, scanky swampland, and *somebody* will have to drain it if it's to become livable.

I would go along with your idea but we would violating their right to live in Scarborough lol

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Oh brother...

So you will make the Tamils your people, yet tell them where to live?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Then rig it so you're the only one who has to look at it.

Why?

Let's read some actual analysis?
Of what? Some random stupidity about forcing people to live on tundra?

Ya, me and my peeps went down that road already, been there, done that, got the t shirt. I may not want illegals hopping off boats on my shores, but I certainly wouldn't wish with that ignorant segregation shyte upon them. Give yer head a shake. Pray for something mre than the usual rattle.

That good enough?

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver

Of what? Some random stupidity about forcing people to live on tundra?

Ya, me and my peeps went down that road already, been there, done that, got the t shirt. I may not want illegals hopping off boats on my shores, but I certainly wouldn't wish with that ignorant segregation shyte upon them. Give yer head a shake. Pray for something mre than the usual rattle.

That good enough?

Nope, more...

Given that historically Canada used to do just that, namely, mark areas for settlement as a function of which immigrants would be settling it (which was how the Ukrainians ended up in the part of the country where they dominate) there's a precedent, and it's a fact that the US won't recognize Canada's claim to the northern Archipelago, and the best way to justify a claim of jurisdiction is to have your people there, so what's wrong with telling the "refugees" that if they're serious, then they won't mind settling a northern Island and getting it ready for when the arctic icecap finishes melting and the tundra melts?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Nope, more...

Given that historically Canada used to do just that, namely, mark areas for settlement as a function of which immigrants would be settling it (which was how the Ukrainians ended up in the part of the country where they dominate) there's a precedent,...
You do know what year it is right?

and it's a fact that the US won't recognize Canada's claim to the northern Archipelago, and the best way to justify a claim of jurisdiction is to have your people there, so what's wrong with telling the "refugees" that if they're serious, then they won't mind settling a northern Island and getting it ready for when the arctic icecap finishes melting and the tundra melts?
Feel free to pack up and move there on your own.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver

You do know what year it is right?

Feel free to pack up and move there on your own.

You still have not offered one whit of actual analysis. Just an expudiation of emotional bias, which is a worthless waste of bits and bandwidth.

So... tell me what's wrong with telling the Tamils that if they want to live in Canada, then if they're serious, they can settle a spot on one of the northern Islands?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nope, more...

Given that historically Canada used to do just that, namely, mark areas for settlement as a function of which immigrants would be settling it (which was how the Ukrainians ended up in the part of the country where they dominate) there's a precedent, and it's a fact that the US won't recognize Canada's claim to the northern Archipelago, and the best way to justify a claim of jurisdiction is to have your people there, so what's wrong with telling the "refugees" that if they're serious, then they won't mind settling a northern Island and getting it ready for when the arctic icecap finishes melting and the tundra melts?

We're so baaaaaaad....

we're just so baaaaaaaaaaaad...

baaaaaaad yankeeeee... baaaaaad

Dumbest idea in a long time actually.

The whole thing. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I spit my coca-cola through my nose on this one.

So... tell me what's wrong with telling the Tamils that if they want to live in Canada, then if they're serious, they can settle a spot on one of the northern Islands?

Because it's idiotic to be quite frank.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:canada:Right. Lets send some tropic dwellers up, way up, North.

Send out one of our dilapidated destroyers, put one across their bow and ask them to reverse course. If they don't; then, sink them. And don't pick up survivors. Place the shot well, and there will be no survivors.

Bit harsh??

Yep, we'd rather be patsies.

France'd do it in a minute if no one was lookin.

You know that in your heart you like the idea.

Man the 20 pounder, Mistah Christian!!

nah..........bad idea

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
You still have not offered one whit of actual analysis. Just an expudiation of emotional bias, which is a worthless waste of bits and bandwidth.

I'd rather torpedo the ship than let them perish on ice flows.

If this keeps happening I vote we take the 16 billion we are gonna waste on jets and build a giant sling shot to shoot these pests back.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Do we have a buffer zone on our nautical border where we can turn around boats like this?

The territorial sea, twelve miles from the mean low water mark is no different than Cape Breton Island, when it comes to our sovereignty. Ships are allowed to pass through if the intent is innocent. I'm sure that we have every right to stop a suspected ship.

If Canada goes the route of Israel in searching the ship, I recommend no Sea King flights...we might be accused of using suicide bombers :D