Another Shooting?? Shocking !! (not)

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I meant to say exactly what I said. And yes.........shootings ARE predictable in a culture of violence. and aggression.

It was just a matter of time. If that is gloating in your world...........so be it.

In mine........it is a horrible testimony to a society on the rocks and one that even all the security systems are not able to control.

In my world ..........when something occurrs with monotonous regularity .........RED FLAGS go up.

How folks react to a topic is THEIR CHOICE. AS LONG AS THEY STICK TO the TOPIC.

Let me ask:

are folks surprised that another shooting incident occurred??

be honest with yourselves. Will folks be surprised when another one occurrs??

thanks.

Still gloating I see. What a sad life you live.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Let me ask:

are folks surprised that another shooting incident occurred??

be honest with yourselves. Will folks be surprised when another one occurrs??

thanks.

I am surprised that another shooting occurred at the same school, yes. As I would be if Dawson College or POlytechnique were hit again. I'm always suprised and saddened by the way humans can/will treat each other.

But, you seem to refuse to answer my questions, so participation in this thread is pointless. Enjoy trying to dictate other people's responses to you, I hear it's a very fruitful endeavour on the net.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Still gloating I see. What a sad life you live.

off topic again.

Too bad some cannot tell the difference between gloating and SARCASM.

No to worry Goober.........will give you a pass.......as you simply don't get it. and come here to bash posters- specifically OB. If that is what turns your crank........go for it. But because you offer NOTHING to the discussion..."ignore" mode for you seems fitting.

have a nice day.

I personally think that folks are reacting to this topic this way because they KNOW the truth. They KNOW that the gun culture is so prominant in the US , as are the shootings. They KNOW it , but don't like it and don't really want to face it. As it would mean examining the whole aggression, violence issue & how it correlates with gun possession..

I am surprised that another shooting occurred at the same school, yes. As I would be if Dawson College or POlytechnique were hit again. I'm always suprised and saddened by the way humans can/will treat each other.

But, you seem to refuse to answer my questions, so participation in this thread is pointless. Enjoy trying to dictate other people's responses to you, I hear it's a very fruitful endeavour on the net.

I continue to be horrified at how humans treat each other. Sorry, not sure which questions I didn't respond to........but if you pose them again.......I will be happy to do so.

Even though I am NOT surprised when a shooting occurs , in the US ........as that has become a routine occurrence. (ergo the sarcasm ) but I still AM surprised, shocked, grieved when a shooting occurrs in Canada. Anywhere in Canada. Shootings here have not reached the same level of frequency. Hope it never does. Maybe my response to shootings in Canada is naive. but because they are still quite rare.....in comparison........when it happens it seems so much more horrific.

The sadness I feel is for the victims but also for the ones shooting........as resorting to such aggression is simply NOT NORMAL. Most of these "shooters" are in one kind of crisis, (loss) or another. Some of course carry a prejudice against something. and usually only they know what it is. and{ it makes sense only to them.as it is usually rather twisted / bizarre..)

and agree......it is just so sad all around. So many ripple effects from such an incident.

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
America is unique in many ways. One of the most important I think, is that this that one of this country’s most contentious issues is a moral one. I cannot think of any other place where moral issues divide a society as much as they do here.
The tension is a good one, I think. As long as there are moral issues at stake, we focus on our beliefs and values. It may not be pretty at times, but for the vast majority of us, the non professional agitators, both sides of a moral debate give us pause, even if we don’t admit it. That we anguish over morality is a moral choice in itself. Europe and other countries have long since abandoned any moral debate and they are the poorer for it. Unlike the societies and cultures that have a ‘one size fits all’ mentality and structure, we know, on a visceral level that we need to constantly define and redefine ourselves and values. There is great value in a society that allows for that debate, as difficult and hurtful as it is at times. We learn from it and we grow. [Unfortunately I cannot take credit for this, it is not mine. It comes from a post at blogspot]

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I personally think that folks are reacting to this topic this way because they KNOW the truth. They KNOW that the gun culture is so prominant in the US , as are the shootings. They KNOW it , but don't like it and don't really want to face it. As it would mean examining the whole aggression, violence issue & how it correlates with gun possession..

I.

Would you like a comparison of the murder rates in the nations with the most prevalent gun ownership.....and the gun control regimen in the nations with the worst murder rates??

There simply is no correlation between gun ownership and murder rates.

That is why you get treated with scorn......your absolute refusal to deal with reality.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We should through a sense of empathy be shocked when someone is murdered by
gunfire anywhere in the world, but surprised No. the fact is the murder by guns is
merely the method, if there were no guns, the killing would be by a different means.
Gun control and the rate of murder are two different things. Just because you have
gun control does not mean people won't have guns.
In Scandinavian countries gun laws are strict but still people get killed with guns and
in some cases worse, bombs. We have to understand the issue is not guns vs no
guns, it has to do with the mentality of the people who live in the country. There are
those who would not harm a fly and others who would kill their own mother for a
potato and they exist everywhere.
We have to spend more time and effort bringing up our children to have more respect
for themselves, others and humanity in general. Even with those efforts we will not
eradicate gun deaths or murder in general.
The answer to this problem is sometime the sad truth that there is no absolute solution
and no real answer. The sooner we face that reality we can explore some ways to
reduce the chances of it happening and that requires education and childhood upbringing,
and from what I see good luck with that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

So.........................there is sh*t like this happening in virtually every major city every week or more often. :roll:

We should through a sense of empathy be shocked when someone is murdered by
gunfire anywhere in the world, but surprised No. the fact is the murder by guns is
merely the method, if there were no guns, the killing would be by a different means.
Gun control and the rate of murder are two different things. Just because you have
gun control does not mean people won't have guns.
In Scandinavian countries gun laws are strict but still people get killed with guns and
in some cases worse, bombs. We have to understand the issue is not guns vs no
guns, it has to do with the mentality of the people who live in the country. There are
those who would not harm a fly and others who would kill their own mother for a
potato and they exist everywhere.
We have to spend more time and effort bringing up our children to have more respect
for themselves, others and humanity in general. Even with those efforts we will not
eradicate gun deaths or murder in general.
The answer to this problem is sometime the sad truth that there is no absolute solution
and no real answer. The sooner we face that reality we can explore some ways to
reduce the chances of it happening and that requires education and childhood upbringing,
and from what I see good luck with that.

Yep, there's a few folks that are just A$$holes! :lol:

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Would you like a comparison of the murder rates in the nations with the most prevalent gun ownership.....and the gun control regimen in the nations with the worst murder rates??

There simply is no correlation between gun ownership and murder rates.

That is why you get treated with scorn......your absolute refusal to deal with reality.

a) provide the stats of which you speak. thanks.

b) IF treating another poster with scorn is a good thing......and you all enjoy it , there is nothing anyone can do; Remember that those issuing the scorn are only showing themselves and their true colors. There is no need , on any forum to treat other posters that way. NONE> IF you disagree........then simply say so and state why . Is that too complicated???

But I guess when the gang mentality rules that scorn and ostracize another poster is the way to go.......then we have no right to question the idea of bullying as that is what it really is.

Not to worry........I can handle it. I can see beyond the scorn, the bullying, the nastiness and the personal attacks. One one level they might be hurtful. but in the larger scheme of things they are totally irrelavant. When scorning a poster is more important than sticking to the topic (agree or disagree)....... and the scorners find that rewarding and pleasurable........ so be it.

If we all agreed or liked all the posts on here.....it would get dull in a nano second.

have a nice day.

Yep, there's a few folks that are just A$$holes!

would you care to elaborate on that???

Of course people would find ways to kill others ......even without guns. That is not the insight of the year.

(just ask any resident in a jail .......and they will give you a course on it )

IF guns are not part of the equation..........then how come these SHOOTINGS by GUNS take place so often?? The issue is that no one can agree on what role they play in this culture of violence.
How often do you hear about a murder by beating to death as compared to murder by guns?? Those that love statistics.....might want to present some data.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
do YOU KNOW and COMPREHEND what STICK to the TOPIC means???

the title does not even say anything about the US. But the knee jerkers anti OB folks are out in rabid packs .The OB haters form a forum subculture and all it takes is a post that is contorversial.......to bring out the gnashing teeth.

Wow......shameful.

OFF TOPIC. try and concentrate..... People get KILLED in these incidents. what about the victims??
Simple.... They're dead, wounded or sensing loss.

The dead ones are beyond giving a damn

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
I wonder what pattern we would see if all your threads were posted topic by topic. No I do not wonder at all.

go ahead. If you want to waste your and others time that way.........be my guest. As I stated before. Since substance is lacking , but plenty of poster bullying occupies your input here........putting you on ignore.

Have a nice day. & if you celebrate the holidays.......may they be all that you wish.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
are shooting incidents worthy of discussion or not?? If so , any ideas as to how this can be changed and not be so prevalent Or do we just accept it as part of today's society??? Like most accept that guns are part of the North american society. How does Mexico rate in the shooting incidents as compared to other North american nations??

What is the reason for so many to protect the Empire and its gun culture?? Why the defensiveness, when the facts are as clear as the blood they shed and the humans they destroy??

Can this issue be handled more effectively and what are the ways that might work???

Each such incident is a human tragedy. It is also a societal tragedy. Maybe this is all part of the evolutionary process of the humanoid. His aggressive nature still over rules the part of him that "says" he wants peace and peaceful resolutions to issues.

Does the media play a big part in inflaming the shooting incidents as opposed to simply and matter of factly presenting the news as FACTS , with as much objectivity and as little flair and dramatic theater as they do??

Does the hype about such tragedies create a mileau for more due to the psychological enviornment it creates???

thoughts??

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
thoughts??
Many, but you don't want to hear them...

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Who the hell cares indeed and furthermore........it has NOTHING to do with the horrible shooting. Splitting hairs. about vernacular is just a diversion .:roll:

The title seems to be some kind of expression of vindication.

the title is SARCASM. Nothing more and nothing less. (but it sure has a lot of folks belly aching about it. as opposed to dealing with the subject material itself.

OH well. That might be a positive thing