Another Shooting in Toronto-What a Dump That Place Is

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I doubt if shootings equate to a place being a "dump". I always thought "dump" was more of a maintenance issue.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I doubt if shootings equate to a place being a "dump". I always thought "dump" was more of a maintenance issue.
As huge cities go (Tronoto is #4 on the continent after Mexico City, L.A.and New York) the G.T.A. is as clean as a whistle.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I imagine a few people here are old enough to remember the nauseating slogan 'Toronto the Good' sneered by the same smug rejects who's families are under siege from bullets seemingly weekly in the Dump of Dumps.
The place is handy to change planes mostly because you don't have to go anywhere near downtown to do so.
"Toronto the Good" was a tongue-in-cheek reference to it's grey Calvinist past. It was a journalistic irony but apparently, they didn't get the joke out in the boondocks and took it literally.

(p.s. I don't come from Toronto. I come from what used to be it's biggest rival but even I knew the context. You can always find creative ways to hate others)

Under seige? WTF? Do you have any clue what you're babbling on about? You are times more likely to get shot in Regina or Wetaskewin.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
It doesn't mention the Okanagan specifically.

I will note that the county that I live in (Halton Region) is listed as #4 in the top ten healthiest places in Canada. Higher incomes and rates of post-secondary education are likely the cause. The natural environment here is not too bad but certainly not as healthy as that of the Interior of B.C. we are directly down wind from the Ohio Valley here in Oakville and air pollution is an issue.

http://www.the10and3.com/do-you-live-in-one-of-the-unhealthiest-places-in-canada/
Well to bad you live in such a sh-t hole . If you had any money you could move somewhere cleaner and greener .

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Well to bad you live in such a sh-t hole . If you had any money you could move somewhere cleaner and greener .
"To" bad I live in a shithole like Southeast Oakville, eh?

Here are the five most expensive houses in Canada. Number one is two blocks from where we live.

http://www.cbc.ca/life/home/here-are-the-5-most-expensive-homes-in-canada-right-now-1.4789842

It's like the nicer parts of West Van around here. We have the lowest crime rates in the country, here in Halton with Lake Ontario in front of us and the Niagara Escarpment behind us.

Sure hope that have a canoe to paddle when the *big one" breeches the dykes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It doesn't mention the Okanagan specifically.

I will note that the county that I live in (Halton Region) is listed as #4 in the top ten healthiest places in Canada. Higher incomes and rates of post-secondary education are likely the cause. The natural environment here is not too bad but certainly not as healthy as that of the Interior of B.C. we are directly down wind from the Ohio Valley here in Oakville and air pollution is an issue.

http://www.the10and3.com/do-you-live-in-one-of-the-unhealthiest-places-in-canada/

Doesn't mean a hell of a lot. Anytime you see these ratings you'll generally find that places with fewer than five or ten thousand population are excluded (which includes all the places that are fit to live)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Toronto's murder rate is twice that of London's.

London

Population: 9 million
Murders so far in 2018: 132
Murders per 1000 people: 0.015

Toronto

Population: 3 million
Murders so far in 2018: 95
Murders per 1000 people: 0.032

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Toronto's murder rate is twice that of London's.
London
Population: 9 million
Murders so far in 2018: 132
Murders per 1000 people: 0.015
Toronto
Population: 3 million
Murders so far in 2018: 95
Murders per 1000 people: 0.032
Canada's murder rate is twice that of England's and a tenth of that of the USA. Toronto gas a low murder rate by Canadian stsndatds, even after a bad year like this one.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Canada's murder rate is twice that of England's and a tenth of that of the USA. Toronto gas a low murder rate by Canadian stsndatds, even after a bad year like this one.

And London's has just risen quite dramatically over the last couple of years - funnily enough, ever since Labour's Sadiq Khan became mayor.

London's murder rate was, until recently, even lower. And the press and news channels are going crazy, calling London a "hotbed of murder" and reporting on "yet another murder in London in 2018."

And yet, for a city its size, London's murder rate is incredibly low. New York City - which is actually slightly smaller than London, with 8.6 million people - had around 300 murders in 2017.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Chicago is roughly the size of Toronto (slightly smaller) and both cities are ports on the Great Lakes in the same general region of the continent. Chicago had a good year, last year (2017) and only had 650 murders. Toronto had 65 murders, 39 by firearms. This has been a really bad, record year here with 96 murders, 50 by firearms. Still, about a fifth of the population of Canada lives in the Greater Toronto Area and that thins the numbers way out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Chicago is roughly the size of Toronto (slightly smaller) and both cities are ports on the Great Lakes in the same general region of the continent. Chicago had a good year, last year (2017) and only had 650 murders. Toronto had 65 murders, 39 by firearms. This has been a really bad, record year here with 96 murders, 50 by firearms. Still, about a fifth of the population of Canada lives in the Greater Toronto Area and that thins the numbers way out.

The "Dump" analogy is ridiculous and I think if you check closely Chicago is quite a bit larger than Toronto, like probably close to twice the size.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
The "Dump" analogy is ridiculous and I think if you check closely Chicago is quite a bit larger than Toronto, like probably close to twice the size.
No, Toronto and it's environs passed Chicago about a decade ago. The GTA is steadily adding a million plus per decade and Chicago, like a lot of Northern US industrial cities is shrinking. Chicago is shrinking a little. Nearby Detroit, once a great city has lost half of it's population in about twenty years with no improvement in sight. If you wonder why we in the East see a decaying neighbour over the border, it is because their cities are literally dying in the Northeast.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No, Toronto and it's environs passed Chicago about a decade ago. The GTA is steadily adding a million plus per decade and Chicago, like a lot of Northern US industrial cities is shrinking. Chicago is shrinking a little. Nearby Detroit, once a great city has lost half of it's population in about twenty years with no improvement in sight. If you wonder why we in the East see a decaying neighbour over the border, it is because their cities are literally dying in the Northeast.

I believe the shrinking of Detroit that you mention is actually more of a political phenomena than a geographical one. Greater Detroit with close to 4 million people is still the 11th largest urban area in the U.S. caused largely by the inner city population moving out to the suburbs contained in Wayne. Oakland and McComb counties.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Going by your logic the city of London England is about 1 square mile with a population of +/-100000.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Going by your logic the city of London England is about 1 square mile with a population of +/-100000.
I didn't make the numbers up. The City of Toronto is bigger than the City of Chicago. The Greater Toronto Area is bigger than Suburban Chicago. It didn't used to be that way. At the current rate of growth, the GTA will have 12-13 million people, mid century and since this region bears the brunt of most of the immigration into Canada, it's going to happen. It's very hard on the local economy as they have to supply services to newcomers with nothing more than property taxes and a perennial shortage of housing pushes real estate prices out of reach for young couples that want to start families. This rapid growth has not made the place "a dump" but it isn't necessarily healthy, either.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I didn't make the numbers up. The City of Toronto is bigger than the City of Chicago. The Greater Toronto Area is bigger than Suburban Chicago. It didn't used to be that way. At the current rate of growth, the GTA will have 12-13 million people, mid century and since this region bears the brunt of most of the immigration into Canada, it's going to happen. It's very hard on the local economy as they have to supply services to newcomers with nothing more than property taxes and a perennial shortage of housing pushes real estate prices out of reach for young couples that want to start families. This rapid growth has not made the place "a dump" but it isn't necessarily healthy, either.
Great enjoy your race riots.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
No one does riots like Vancouver does.
At least ours are about something that matters IOW hockey.