Another Example of Yankee Gun Mentality

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I watched a policeman being interviewed in Florida just the other day, and he said
they are years and years too late to try to control gun 'toting' in the u.s., as almost
everyone on the street carrys one and it is a status thing, shows a 'real' man. (Of
course he was being sarcastic.) It shows how backward they are, and they take full
advantage of that stupid outdated part of their constitution, that only made sense
centuries ago, and now has taken over their country, and people still actually say
they should be allowed to pack a gun 'because their constitution says so'. Wow,
sure glad it doesn't say they can behead people in the square, or stone women
to death for being raped, and of course they wouldn't be able to change those
laws now would they.

What a joke.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That is a sidestep, Kreskin.........not an answer.

If guns are useless for defense, why do cops and other professionals carry them?????

Didn't help the cops, did it?

Nukes didn't stop 911 either.

Guns cause more problems than they are worth. Ban the whole lot imo.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I watched a policeman being interviewed in Florida just the other day, and he said
they are years and years too late to try to control gun 'toting' in the u.s., as almost
everyone on the street carrys one and it is a status thing, shows a 'real' man. (Of
course he was being sarcastic.) It shows how backward they are, and they take full
advantage of that stupid outdated part of their constitution, that only made sense
centuries ago, and now has taken over their country, and people still actually say
laws now would they.

What a joke.

You need to do some serious history research.......into both the development of democracy and constitutional law.......the right to keep and bear arms is not simply some inane idea planted in the US Bill of Rights....it is a mainstay of English constitutional law..........

It is far from silly.....have you actually read any of the articles posted????

Firearms are used for defense millions of times a year in the USA, and tens of thousands of times a year in Canada.

BTW, in the late 1980s Florida was the first state to initiate a right-to-carry law, which means the authorities MUST issue a permit to carry a concealed pistol to anyone that passes a simple training course and a background check.

Subsequently, the violent crime rate in Florida CRASHED.........the law was so successful that over 35 states copied the Florida law........with the same results.

The idea that people should be stripped of the ancient right to the means of self-defense is both idiotic and dangerous..........

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
The u.s. is so stupid, as they constantly defend that constitution, as it gets them off
the hook, and allows thousands and thousands more street punks, drug users, burglars, gangs, and thousands of others who 'just' want one. It's a status thing,
proves who's the real men, ha.
It's all about money making.More than that, it's so far past the time where
anything could every have been done about it, it's like an epidemic now, (as a
policeman who was interviewed the other day said,) after another request to have gun
control in a state, was overturned, as it is 'unconstitutional'. What a joke.
That law was put into place when it made a little bit of sense to have a gun, a couple of centuries ago.
It is embarrassing to look south of the border, and realize how backward they are.
That policeman who was interviewed just shrugged his shoulders, as he felt so
helpless to be able to have any hope re: gun control.

If I had to kill someone, I would use a gun, very easy to pull a trigger from a distance,
one doesn't get their hands dirty, it's a disconnect, almost seems like the gun did it
and not the person, but just ask me to stab someone, or hit them over the head with
a boulder, or push them off a cliff, as you actually have to get your hands on the
person, take a risk that they might overpower you, get blood all over you, and I can
just imagine how it feels to push a knife into another person, very very personal,
and sickening, but sure, just shoot them and run away, easy, they don't eve have
to ever see you.
I know I've said all of this before, guess it's time again, I'll be back in another two
years to say it again.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Canadian bank branches use to have officers who carried guns. Have more deaths been cause by giving bank robbers what they want and letting them get caught by the cops?

It's ridiculous to think of the way it use to be.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The u.s. is so stupid, as they constantly defend that constitution, as it gets them off
the hook, and allows thousands and thousands more street punks, drug users, burglars, gangs, and thousands of others who 'just' want one. It's a status thing,
proves who's the real men, ha.
It's all about money making.More than that, it's so far past the time where
anything could every have been done about it, it's like an epidemic now, (as a
policeman who was interviewed the other day said,) after another request to have gun
control in a state, was overturned, as it is 'unconstitutional'. What a joke.
That law was put into place when it made a little bit of sense to have a gun, a couple of centuries ago.
It is embarrassing to look south of the border, and realize how backward they are.
That policeman who was interviewed just shrugged his shoulders, as he felt so
helpless to be able to have any hope re: gun control.

If I had to kill someone, I would use a gun, very easy to pull a trigger from a distance,
one doesn't get their hands dirty, it's a disconnect, almost seems like the gun did it
and not the person, but just ask me to stab someone, or hit them over the head with
a boulder, or push them off a cliff, as you actually have to get your hands on the
person, take a risk that they might overpower you, get blood all over you, and I can
just imagine how it feels to push a knife into another person, very very personal,
and sickening, but sure, just shoot them and run away, easy, they don't eve have
to ever see you.
I know I've said all of this before, guess it's time again, I'll be back in another two
years to say it again.

And you will be just as wrong in two years.

On all counts.

Basic rights do not become "outdated". That in itself is an extremely dangerous concept.

The American constitution was a revolutionary document, of which the Bill of Rights was one of the most importat parts. It was the foundation of the first modern democracy, and all subsequent democracies owe a debt to that document. It is far from useless.......aside from the Bible, it is probably the most significant document in the history of western civilization.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Canadian bank branches use to have officers who carried guns. Have more deaths been cause by giving bank robbers what they want and letting them get caught by the cops?

It's ridiculous to think of the way it use to be.

I don't know....hard to say.

I do know that I used to haul around millions of dollars, and nobody ever tried to confront me and take it away.......I wonder why???????

Meanwhile, the store across the street has been robbed of 100 bucks or so at gun or knife point three times in the 10 years I've lived here.....

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
You know, gun ownership is much higher in Canada than in all but one developed country, and yet we do not have much more gun related violence than other developed countries. Yet things in the US seem to point to a clear picture of guns being bad.

I think it's the attitude that makes the difference, not the guns. Most people in Canada wouldn't say that they have a right to own something which is designed to kill somebody. Most people in Canada wouldn't think that having so many guns around would make them safer. Fewer people in Canada would jump out of bed when they hear a strange noise and point their handgun at the house cat.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I just pointed out how useless they are for defense. Unless you walk the streets with your gun in hand and pointed where ever you walk they aren't worth jack squat for defense. As long as the factories keep churning out these dumb instruments they'll get into every bad hand with ease. But hey, it's the old founding fathers routine and wearing the flag over the heart, and all that other bs, that will ensure people continue to kill each other.
You didn't mention defense at first. A person can empty their 15 round semi-auto in the time it takes their target to drop the donut and coffee and drag his own out of it's parking spot and you mumble about defense? The guy wouldn't have stood a chance if the police had been standing apart and their gunhands free.
You can go over theere and tell them to stop any time you feel the need and be my guest.As far as defense goes, sometimes the bad guys win, sometimes they lose. They won this one.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Didn't help the cops, did it?

Nukes didn't stop 911 either.

Guns cause more problems than they are worth. Ban the whole lot imo.
You go right ahead and tell your gangs they can't pack firearms around then. :roll: You come to our home and tell us we can shoot the bloody coons and whoever else wants to raid our fruit and chicken feed and you'll get laughed at. Ditch the banning crap and use your head.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
laws now would they.

What a joke.

Talloola- I've been in the U.S. lots over the past 20 years, you don't want to form any opinions of Americans by watching T.V., they are simply not like that, sure there's one or two percent that act like morons, trying to be John Wayne or Gary Cooper swaggering around, but the masses are just exactly like we are.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
You go right ahead and tell your gangs they can't pack firearms around then. :roll: You come to our home and tell us we can shoot the bloody coons and whoever else wants to raid our fruit and chicken feed and you'll get laughed at. Ditch the banning crap and use your head.

Oh yes, the important defense of chicken feed.

When was the last time a lawful non-gang member Canadian used a gun to defend himself from a gang? Unless you have it in hand when they make their surprise entry, the gun now belongs to the gang (probably why they broke in).

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Oh yes, the important defense of chicken feed.

When was the last time a lawful non-gang member Canadian used a gun to defend himself from a gang? Unless you have it in hand when they make their surprise entry, the gun now belongs to the gang (probably why they broke in).

Well. I've used guns to defend myself, although I've never fired a shot in anger. I only cleared the holster once.......that is the way it is in 99 point whatever percent of the defensive uses of firearms.....the mere presence and/or display of the weapon deters an attack.

Your question is impossible top answer.....the government, with its idiotic laws, has made it practically impossible for the average citizen to keep arms for self-defense.

All I know is that home invasions didn't happen when everyone kept a loaded .30-30 hanging over the door.

(one good platitude deserves another)

BTW, I've got a houseful of guns. Anybody around has seen me loading up the car with guns. I lived (for 14 years) in one of the roughest areas of this little city. (known as the Rifle Range lol) I was never robbed.......although a lot of my friends were. I wonder why?????/

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Well. I've used guns to defend myself, although I've never fired a shot in anger. I only cleared the holster once.......that is the way it is in 99 point whatever percent of the defensive uses of firearms.....the mere presence and/or display of the weapon deters an attack.

Your question is impossible top answer.....the government, with its idiotic laws, has made it practically impossible for the average citizen to keep arms for self-defense.

All I know is that home invasions didn't happen when everyone kept a loaded .30-30 hanging over the door.

(one good platitude deserves another)

BTW, I've got a houseful of guns. Anybody around has seen me loading up the car with guns. I lived (for 14 years) in one of the roughest areas of this little city. (known as the Rifle Range lol) I was never robbed.......although a lot of my friends were. I wonder why?????/

I thought of you the other day - on Friday, I was in our (your) local Sobey's, and saw a guy wander over, dressed in nondescript clothes, take out his bundle of keys, open up the ATM machine, pull a few wads of 20s out of his jacket, and restock the machine.

I was a little surprised at the nonchalant way they handled that, seemed kinda odd.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I thought of you the other day - on Friday, I was in our (your) local Sobey's, and saw a guy wander over, dressed in nondescript clothes, take out his bundle of keys, open up the ATM machine, pull a few wads of 20s out of his jacket, and restock the machine.

I was a little surprised at the nonchalant way they handled that, seemed kinda odd.

Yeah.

One of the reasons I no longer have a job in armed security. More and more of the ATM work is being done by regular unarmed security.......sometimes carrying an immense amount of money. The banks don't give a hoot if a guard dies, it is all the bottom line.........this will go on until a guard is killed.....then they will demand (free) police protection. Your tax dollars at work protecting the profits of the banks.

Don't get me going.