Andrew Coyne: No need for Tories’ ‘Throw Away the Key Act’

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Probably not, especially since you refused to explain the VFF tax credit when asked several times to do so.

You're so silly. I've asked Petros numerous times if he has a specific question. He doesn't seem to even know enough about it to asked anything other than "generally speaking, how does it work". He even asked if I got $3000 cash back. I think he needs to spend a little time reading up on it instead of expecting me to spoon feed him. Especially since he appears to be as thick as a brick and it would take me considerable time to explain everything.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You're so silly. I've asked Petros numerous times if he has a specific question. He doesn't seem to even know enough about it to asked anything other than "generally speaking, how does it work". He even asked if I got $3000 cash back. I think he needs to spend a little time reading up on it instead of expecting me to spoon feed him. Especially since he appears to be as thick as a brick and it would take me considerable time to explain everything.
Oh oh, you're angry, embarrassed and trying to dig your way out of another hole.

Your lies betray you, son.

You should try honesty sometime. You won't look so foolish and have so many of us living in your head.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Oh oh, you're angry, embarrassed and trying to dig your way out of another hole.

Your lies betray you, son.

You should try honesty sometime. You won't look so foolish and have so many of us living in your head.

Again making it about me. So predictable.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You don't know so I spoke with someone who does. He ave me a nice list of out of pocket costs that fire chiefs begged to get a tax credit for their volunteers.

Want to know what they are?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Want to know what they are?

Training I presume. All our training is covered. Possibly lost wages. We are paid when we respond. Like I said, in our municipality, there are no out of pocket expenses and we still get the credit.

You must live in a poor municipality.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Training I presume. All our training is covered. Possibly lost wages. We are paid when we respond. Like I said, in our municipality, there are no out of pocket expenses and we still get the credit.
Do you pay for gas when you go to calls in your own vehicle?

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
There's no doubt that should definitely be a prime consideration, while there may be other extenuating circumstances. Like what if I happen to catch the deceased selling dope to my 14 year old grand daughter?

Who is worse, the seller or the buyer?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

You must live in a poor municipality.

No. Not training. As I said before "if you were a VFF you'd know". Especially since VFF themselves pushed for community support through petitions to get the credit because of the personal costs.

Do you think those who got involved could answer the question "what are your costs" when asked by those they are seeking support from?

This is how your lies keep coming back to haunt you.

Or cell phone to get calls.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I do think punishment should be a consideration when determining jail time and, sorry, but if you take someone's life you should be made to pay with your own. (Freedom in this case as I still don't believe in the death penalty.) If someone's violence is so explosive that they take another's life, why should I place any trust in their ability to control it? And since we're talking only of the most heinous offenders anyway, there can be no amount of blind trust placed in them, as far as I'm concerned.

Now I do think we need to do a thousand percent better with prevention, with intervention at young ages. That has the possibility of hope, to my way of thinking. But to take someone young and harden them to the point where taking a life is something they do, I just can't conceive of someone coming back from that. If they do, it's gotta be rare. When that much hate and anger gets ingrained, it goes deep. Plus I think it speaks more to their nature when they commit really violent acts at a young age, particularly to an innocent victim (ie, not a tormentor or bully for example). Like the girl who shoved another off that bridge in BC or the one in Toronto who pushed her boyfriend to kill her "nemesis". That sh1ts ingrained, that's who they are.
I would agree that there are some for whom there is no hope, but I would never put that label on all.

Actually Sal, I believe it does. While it may not mean being confined to prison for life it does (usually) mean life in the system with some restraints imposed.........................as it was explained to me.
but they are still eligible for parole no? They might not get parole but they can apply.... at least according to what this says...

Life Sentences and Section 745.6 of the Criminal Code. In Canada, murder is either first or second degree. Persons convicted of either must be sentenced to imprisonment for life. Generally, persons convicted of first-degree murder are not eligible for parole until they have served at least 25 years of their sentence.
Life Sentences and Section 745.6 of the Criminal Code - A ...

Life Sentences and Section 745.6 of the Criminal Code - A Crime Victim’s Guide to the Criminal Justice System

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I wonder if any of the Harper haters understand that this will likely only affect 1000 offenders.

That's even less than the victims of ladders.

But they have the right to reoffend while the honest taxpayer has the right to........... well pay for it all.

He rides his bicycle. There are some out of pocket expenses. There is also a huge time commitment from most of us. Well over the 200 hr. a year required for the credit.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
when waldon't sees this he be like 'oh, so THIS is how you troll'. :lol:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Technically they are not allowed to respond to calls in their own vehicles. They may stop if the fire is between where they are at the time of the page and the fire hall. I understand what you're getting at but the fact is, every volunteer on our department is not docked pay when they leave work and they are paid a wage when they respond to calls. They actually make money as a volunteer firefighter. That is the problem with the tax credit and why I argued against it. People who are making money as a VFF should not be getting a tax credit while other VFF like the ones by Pete, have to spend money and may not get enough from the credit to cover their expenses. If Pete actually knew how the system worked, he would know that.

Or cell phone to get calls.

We're supplied radios.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There's no doubt that should definitely be a prime consideration, while there may be other extenuating circumstances. Like what if I happen to catch the deceased selling dope to my 14 year old grand daughter?

Ooooooooooooh sh*t, I think my train of thought got derailed there, substitute accused for deceased! :) :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Quit f-cking lying. You are not a VFF and yes you can respond in your own vehicle with flashing green lights which designates a first responder on the go but you have to drive within the law. No speeding and blowing stop signs. A real AB first responder would know that.
Many other provinces already have rules that allow volunteer responders to use flashing lights. However, the laws differ between jurisdictions.

In Ontario and Alberta, for instance, volunteer firefighters can use flashing green lights, but they still must obey all traffic rules.