Americans kill 3 British soldiers in Afghanistan

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Getting back to the OP - close air is scary enough. A downhill drop on a largely featureless landscape falls within the realm of magic. You can hardly fault the pilot for dropping - any more than you could the Brits for being there.

Wolf

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I would say the CF-18s would do at least as good a job as the F-15s are doing and I could be wrong but I tend to think we would have better communications within our own forces.

Communication is important but there is more involved. It is practicing Close Air Support which is something that the USMC practices all the time. It is easy to hit a building with no friendlies around. It is a lot more difficult to support troops that are engaged in small arms/ close combat. Do you think Canadas ground forces and air forces practice Close Air support... a lot? It is a serious question because perhaps they do and that would be great. Because they would need it in the heat of combat. The thing is the the USAF is just getting around to it. They need to be better at supporting troops as they most likely have a Cold War/ First Gulf War mindset.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Baloney, your numbers are significantly smaller than ours, hence your incidents will be equally less.

Just recently the CF opended fire and killed Afghani troops. Isn't that freindly fire?

Yes it is friendly fire. But you won't hear too much about that in the Canadian press. Just like the Canadian soldier who earlier this year shot and killed a fellow soldier accidently. I guess he can be considered a Canadian Yahoo Cowboy right?

shhhhhh.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hmm ... whatever happend to the American zoomie who dropped his load on Canadians at Kandahar?

It happens and no amount of bickering, denial or taking credit is going to stop the unfortunate from happening. As long as bullets and missiles streak across the sky at the speed of life, somebody is going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and there are going to be friendly fire incidents. That's one of the reasons War is Hell.

Wolf

joltek

Jul 12, 2007
It's interesting to see how you look for detailed answers when it regards your own forces. I bet you never do that when it has to do with American forces.

Yeah you win, your forces are benevolent angels, where as ours are chest thumping stormtroopers.
You would lose that bet!
I know that ****s happens in a war zone!!

But at least our boys fired a warning shot first..."unlike you Americans, you American were trained from the 1st. day at bootcamp that if you feel "threaten", shoot the hell out of it."

If that undercover/plain clothes Afghani cop didn't shoot back and I.D. himself, he would still be alive today!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You would lose that bet!
I know that ****s happens in a war zone!!

But at least our boys fired a warning shot first..."unlike you Americans, you American were trained from the 1st. day at bootcamp that if you feel "threaten", shoot the hell out of it."

If that undercover/plain clothes Afghani cop didn't shoot back and I.D. himself, he would still be alive today!

I am sure the Afghans will have a different story and if we are to act like people like you would in a US Blue on Blue incident we should most likely take their side. Fair is fair right?

I went to Basic Training and the first day I got my haircut, was given my BDUs, and filled out a lot of paper work. Not once did I hear...

"If you feel threatened... shoot the hell out of it."

In fact, in my 13 weeks on Parris Island I did not hear that once.

Thanks for playing!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Hmm ... whatever happend to the American zoomie who dropped his load on Canadians at Kandahar?

It happens and no amount of bickering, denial or taking credit is going to stop the unfortunate from happening. As long as bullets and missiles streak across the sky at the speed of life, somebody is going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and there are going to be friendly fire incidents. That's one of the reasons War is Hell.

Wolf

He was tried and convicted.

joltek

Jul 12, 2007
I am sure the Afghans will have a different story and if we are to act like people like you would in a US Blue on Blue incident we should most likely take their side. Fair is fair right?

I went to Basic Training and the first day I got my haircut, was given my BDUs, and filled out a lot of paper work. Not once did I hear...

"If you feel threatened... shoot the hell out of it."

In fact, in my 13 weeks on Parris Island I did not hear that once.

Thanks for playing!
Parris Island!
Isn't that where the U.S Marines trains their new recruits?

Gee, I wonder if you jarheads even know the name of 1 single Canadian training base, I doubt it, I don't think you even care.

You may not heard the phrase "If you feel threaten, shoot the hell out it" out of your D.I. mouth, but that what your bootcamp trainings implied !

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Parris Island!

Gee, I wonder if you jarheads even know the name of 1 single Canadian training base, I doubt it, I don't think you even care.

You may not heard the phrase "If you feel threaten, shoot the hell out it" out of your D.I. mouth, but that what your bootcamp trainings implied !

Our reputation and the Corps fine basic training facility precedes us. Everyone comes to Parris Island from all over the world to see how the best are trained.

And no... our basic training does not imply that at all and I would ask you, even if it did... how would you know? And alas we hold the name Jarhead dear to us so what you tried to use as an insult back fired.

I thought Canadians trained their soldiers online?

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Parris Island!

I'm going to have to go with my assumption that you are distinctly unqualified to say what our "bootcamp trainings(whatever those are...:roll:)" implied.

And the fact that you have heard of Parris Island really isn't surprising, who hasn't heard of it?

Even though the real Marines have always been trained in San Diego.

(they send the girls to South Carolina....):smile:

joltek

Jul 12, 2007
Our reputation and the Corps fine basic training facility precedes us. Everyone comes to Parris Island from all over the world to see how the best are trained.

And no... our basic training does not imply that at all and I would ask you, even if it did... how would you know? And alas we hold the name Jarhead dear to us so what you tried to use as an insult back fired.

I thought Canadians trained their soldiers online?
heheh... my "jarhead expression" to you was a compliment, not an insult. Do you see what I mean ? You freaking jarheads can't even see a compliment for what it is. :)

Maybe it's better if the only thought in a U.S. Marine tiny brain is "KILL, KILL, KILL !!!"

You U.S. marines make good fighters and cannon fodders, but you don't make a good human beings !!!

joltek

Jul 12, 2007
I'm going to have to go with my assumption that you are distinctly unqualified to say what our "bootcamp trainings(whatever those are...:roll:)" implied.

And the fact that you have heard of Parris Island really isn't surprising, who hasn't heard of it?

And you would assumed wrong :)
I don't know if you know this but back in the 80's there was a international treaty call NATO it stand for North Atlantic Treaty Organization to combat the Warsaw Pact, the "communist threats"

Us Canadian Airbornes regularly excercides trainings side by side with U.S. Marines in W. Germany so I can confidently say that I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Further research tells me Trooper Brown was found guilty of manslaughter, M/Cpl Matchee was unfit for trial due to brain damage suffered in an attempt at suicide. 16 other charges were heard among 2 Commando and the whole of 2 SSF was disbanded. Is that reprimand enough for you?

Wolf

No, it's not. A dishounorable discharge and 5 years in prison for a beating death? You're kidding right?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I don't suppose the Somali authorities had any say in the matter. Airborne is no more. That's rather extreme.

Wolf

Sometimes it is difficult to convey certain things over a forum. I was being sarcastic.

I only said that because when an American gets sentenced, and I'm sure you are aware our sentencing is much harsher down here, it is never enough for Canadians. Never.

Accidents will happen, and the greater the numbers the more probability there is in accidents happening.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
ITN - you are too kind. A broken record? How about a dog barking all night for 10 years? Or a catatonic patient banging his head into the wall relentlessly? Really, I'm quite sick of it
too. Perhaps a checkup is in order.:roll:

Uncle

MikeyDB,

For the past several months you've been sounding like a broken record. Your posts have become predictable (much like #juans), hence boring. I usually never get passed your 2nd paragraph. It's always the same tirade.

Hope all is well.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Perhaps my conributions to CC have become boringly predictable....

The nature of this and several other threads at Canadian Content (This one is titled "International Politics") are product of events and circumstances that have occurred and are occurring around the world. There is a particular emphasis on the perturbations of the interrelationship between the United States and the rest of the world, that's got far more to do with the United States than it has to do with MikeyDB or Canadian Content.

From the dark day of 9/11 onward the world changed. What changed was that the United States was attacked by radical extremists and in response to this event, the United States in the person of George Bush began building walls. What didn't change was the "Ugly American".

It would be convenient no doubt if everyone else in the world accorded this criminal event of Sept.11/2001 and the American administration's response to the attack as the seminal reason or tipping-point in how non-Americans regard the United States. It isn't. America has behaved very poorly for a very long time. Americans have (as have Canadians) become so content and mollified at enjoying a life-style and a "quality of life" that relied on injustice and moral turpitude for its maintenance that whatever either an American administration or a Canadian government does in the exercise of enhancing and furthering this imbalance could be ignored so long as Americans and Canadians were kept complacent ...fat and happy....

The events of 9/11 and the reaction by the United States and its people demonstrate an attitude and a character that's long existed among the American people. History is the chronicle of a people and a nations fundamental character and rapproachment with the planet and the neighbors with whom a single nation shares the planet.

Regular, "normal folk" have seen behind the curtain and these glimpses have simply confirmed to me what I has an individual believed for a long time. Regular folk have seen lies and corruption from "big-business" from Canadian and American governments and watched as various chickens have "come home to roost.....

A far greater number of Americans and Canadians don't have the capacity nor the intelligence to simultaneously integrate and understand the the dynamics at play behind that curtain. Some like those who watch in horror and dismay as bridges collapse and space shuttles explode, as cities devastated by natural disasters writhe in helplessness ignored and disowned by Washington, while billons are spent prosecuting a war predicated on a hoax or at a mimimum, a pack of exaggerations and lies and young people are retured home in bloodied body-bags begin to understand that the events that capture their attention on the TV and in the headlines aren't evidence of a morally sound or even "just" society.

A recreational internet 'forum', a venue for opinion and superficial banter perhaps ought not be the canvas upon which attitudes are born or where understanding can be achieved.

Canadians have witnessed the sham of Canadian justice, from Air India and Maher Arar to Steven Truscott. Americans have watched as their constitution and their justice system is reduced to parlour games and sound-bytes....

What some would have everyone believe is that these dynamics arose over-night, that the corruption and disingenuous quality of our political systems is a "current event".

That simply isn't the case.

Still other's would pretend that the individual is exempt, somehow not included as part of the dynamic that builds to eruptions of violence whether that's war between states or violence in the streets. This isn't the truth either.

Postmodern mankind isn't prepared to consult the historical record so mistakes keep getting repeated and the cyclic nature of human conflict simply continues.

Many folk are unprepared to entertain the idea that there is something terribly wrong in our societies and that expressions of greed and corruption are somehow isolated to the wealthy and the powerful. The reality is that human vision has been blinded by the very same inducements to forego justice and integrity in people's daily lives as those events and conditions that raise ire and concern erupt from our social institutions and governments.

Our appetites are sated by the industrialist and political henchmen, but their actions are symptomatic of a much greater illness and unpreparedness to deal with reality.

Canadian Content isn't likely to be 'the' vehicle or any vehicle for that matter in inviting individuals to consider anything much "deeper" than juicy media tid-bits that titillate the voyeur and entertain the simple minded.

Feel free to ignore history.

Feel free to forego synthesis and by all means, accept and revel in your choice to ignorance over critical enquiry.

My posts are boring because an unwillingness to entertain any alternative to the 'story' you've enthusiastically embraced translates as simply a review of conditions and circumstances you've already known and are aware of. The reason you pretend otherwise is because you lack the capacity and the temperament to acknowledge the truth. You're happy in your ignorance and complacent with the conditions that will in a short while, begin to bring your greatests fears home to you in ways you've never imagined.

I withdraw from Canadian Content, not because you've offended or angered me, but because you're quite frankly not worth the effort.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

See now Thomaska and I are going to get into this!

MCRD San Diego! HA! Hollywood Marines... sunny and 75 degrees year round... a stones throw from civilization. Parris Island is deep in the south, sand 14" deep, thick with biting flies during the milder spring weather, oppressive heat in the summer, and darn bitter cold at times in the winter when I went. And yes the women train at MCRD PI which only means that Women Marines are tougher than Hollywood Marines. :smile: