Feb 16, 2005
USA
Americans attempting to steal Haiti kids now formally charged. :lol:

U.S. missionaries charged with kidnapping in Haiti - CNN.com

They'll get off. :lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Those that were not actually orphans were (according to a front page Globe and Mail article yesterday) surrendered by their parents in the hope they would have a better life........

Now those hopes are dashed.

What if they thought about it later that day and decided it was the wrong thing to do? It's easy to take advantage of people that are in the midst of chaos and tragedy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What if they thought about it later that day and decided it was the wrong thing to do? It's easy to take advantage of people that are in the midst of chaos and tragedy.
Some people who don't have kids think war and chaos is a sport to watch on TV.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Those that were not actually orphans were (according to a front page Globe and Mail article yesterday) surrendered by their parents in the hope they would have a better life........

Wouldn't it make more sense to go about it legally??? Their hopes are dashed simply because they didn't.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Wouldn't it make more sense to go about it legally??? Their hopes are dashed simply because they didn't.

Absolutely......although I am not sure how you would go about that in shattered Haiti.....which I believe has suspended adoptions.

These people did wrong......in an attempt to do good.

Silly of them. But hardly deserving of harsh punishment.

Sporty883

Time Out
Feb 5, 2010
Edmonton Alberta
The saddest part is everyone thinks money is the solution for these people it is not. They need education, on how to deal with the future as you are dealing with people who are geared to live for the day,,not future, they have no idea. Also sad it took a earthquake to open the eyes of the world to this problem in our own hemisphere.
These people are not religious either, so leave God out of it. They live for survival of the fittest, and think nothing of selling their kids, or whatever it takes to survive on a daily basis. They will even put young daughters out to either 'hook', or marry them off. They put their children to work, no age limit.
What the world does not know, is the real problem.
And do not think that Dominican is going to help,

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Name all the good things that came from the RCC Schools in Canada for the Native children who were taken away from their parents?

It just means you have to take the 'better life' to them, which also happens to include the natural parents.

That is who cares for them most in the world, it is the missionaries job to bring aid to the village so the family unit survives. Taking older ones that can be trained in first aid etc (and then returned) would make more sense in true help. Where was the food so they wouldn't have to give up their children?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
No special treatment should be given to potential kidnappers, American or otherwise. Preying on the suffering of others, something Americans are imfamous for, is a moral crime in itself.
"these people" should be tried in a court of law "same as everyone else" and if found guilty of committing the crime as charged, tossed in a Haiti prison to rot for the rest of thier lives.

I quite agree. They have been charged; let the due process of law take its course. By all accounts they are guilty. The fact that their motives were pure is no excuse to break the law. Especially when they were warned by many people (including the official from Dominican Republic) that they were breaking the law.

So I would hope they are tried, found guilty and sentenced to prison terms. However, once the due process of law has taken place, it is time to tamper justice with mercy. Haitian president should pardon them and let them go. By then they will have served at least a few months in prison, I think that is lesson enough for them.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
On the other hand, who knows what was intended by these attempted kidnappings.... (especially with the vast number of religious loopy-loops residing south of our border).
Even after being warned of the consequences, those self-righteous Americans snubbed thier noses at Haitian authorities and proceeded to do as they please...or so they thought..and now caught and charged are wimpering and crying foul.

I say lock em up till thier trial (in Haiti) and once legal proceedings have ended, toss the key away.:smile::canada:

Everyone knows the demand for quick and easy adoptions is high. It's also a business for those who can make it happen. In my view, these people had the good intentions to deliver kids to needy and good homes (much better than Haiti) however it's coming to light that some of these kids weren't orphaned. No matter where and under what circumstances, you can't just walk away someone else's kids.

Not sure where this is going but I wouldn't want to be doing years of prison time in Haiti. What a nightmare that would be.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I say lock em up till thier trial (in Haiti) and once legal proceedings have ended, toss the key away.:smile::canada:

Well they will be locked up until their trial as Haiti does not have parole. Then most likely they will be released.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Everyone knows the demand for quick and easy adoptions is high. It's also a business for those who can make it happen. In my view, these people had the good intentions to deliver kids to needy and good homes (much better than Haiti) however it's coming to light that some of these kids weren't orphaned. No matter where and under what circumstances, you can't just walk away someone else's kids.

Not sure where this is going but I wouldn't want to be doing years of prison time in Haiti. What a nightmare that would be.

Welllllllllllll, only until the next earthquake, and the prison falls down. hee hee hee

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Absolutely......although I am not sure how you would go about that in shattered Haiti.....which I believe has suspended adoptions.

These people did wrong......in an attempt to do good.

Silly of them. But hardly deserving of harsh punishment.
So you want one set of laws for one group and another set of laws for the next. It doesn't work that way.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
On the other hand, who knows what was intended by these attempted kidnappings.... (especially with the vast number of religious loopy-loops residing south of our border).

Oh, it is clear (at least to me) what was intended for these children. They would have been taken to a ‘Christian’ orphanage and brought up to be good little Fundamentalist Christians, with the same hatreds, biases and prejudices of the religious right, and a loyal voting block of the Republican Party.

The motives behind what the Baptists did were world evangelization and politics, pure and simple. However, they did not mean the children any harm, they were not going to beat them, starve them or sell them to slavery. The fate these Baptists had in mind for these children (to raise them to be loyal Fundamentalists) would have been better for them than to grow up as orphans in Haiti.

Their motives were benign, if their actions weren’t. That is why in my opinion, they should be shown mercy, after they have been found guilty.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
"They would have been taken to a ‘Christian’ orphanage and brought up to be good little Fundamentalist Christians, with the same hatreds, biases and prejudices of the religious right, and a loyal voting block of the Republican Party."....

A fate worse, than if left alone in Haiti, in my opinion.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What is coming to light is how at least one member of this group deceived parents into believing they could visit them at their Dominican Republic orphanage (which doesn't exist). One of the 9 year olds said they thought they were going to a summer camp. What they did was not only wrong it was seriously criminal. Imagine losing your children through some fast-talker's deception?