Alberta urged to prove oilsands recommendations were followed

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The info is totally public,accesible by anyone,in the oilpatch and the oilsands.
I have to do the permits up every day so I know this.
Some do think it's all secret stuff,it's all public,anything I sign permit wise is public.
Ya, that would explain why people have had to sue to get the information...:roll:

Maybe they are not complaining!!
The article and link provide would indicate the opposite.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The info is totally public,accesible by anyone,in the oilpatch and the oilsands.
I have to do the permits up every day so I know this.
Some do think it's all secret stuff,it's all public,anything I sign permit wise is public.

Yeah, I know it's all available. The enviro's are making some noise and the easterners get all excited. I guess the envro's are pandering to their base and getting more donations that way..

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Yeah, I know it's all available. The enviro's are making some noise and the easterners get all excited. I guess the envro's are pandering to their base and getting more donations that way..

I know,they could ask anyone in the industry like me or a few others here and we will provide them with numbers and where they can get the info but they dont want it,they like to push it as some big conspiracy,plus we have Ontario that has lost most of it's industry whining about the west prosperity now,it just boggles the mind.
I guess they have been so used to being the center of the universe that they have a hard time dealing with the prosperity the west is enjoying right now.

They think we are doing too good and it's hurting the rest of Canada.
I'm in Kindersley Saskatchewan right now and they went to Ireland to recruit workers!
The town council did,I guess Ontario is waiting for another boom or something if we have to go overseas to get workers.

Go figure.

Last edited:

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I know,they could ask anyone in the industry like me or a few others here and we will provide them with numbers and where they can get the info but they dont want it,they like to push it as some big conspiracy,plus we have Ontario that has lost most of it's industry whining about the west prosperity now,it just boggles the mind.
I guess they have been so used to being the center of the universe that they have a hard time dealing with the prosperity the west is enjoying right now.

They think we are doing too good and it's hurting the rest of Canada.
I'm in Kindersley Saskatchewan right now and they went to Ireland to recruit workers!
The town council did,I guess Ontario is waiting for another boom or something if we have to go overseas to get workers.

Go figure.
Yeah I agree.
Kinderskey eh, did a lot of work at Plover a number of yrs ago.
Nice area, must be booming!!

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Yeah I agree.
Kinderskey eh, did a lot of work at Plover a number of yrs ago.
Nice area, must be booming!!

Bloody crazy,first time in 8 years we could hit the public pasture land,all the lines are getting replaced and all the satellite buildings,over 500 wells drilled allready this year in this tiny area.

I should be busy untill spring break up next year.
When they start to hire the Irish it should be good!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Bloody crazy,first time in 8 years we could hit the public pasture land,all the lines are getting replaced and all the satellite buildings,over 500 wells drilled allready this year in this tiny area.

I should be busy untill spring break up next year.
When they start to hire the Irish it should be good!

Wow, sounds exciting!!
Better there than in Ft Mac!!!
Enjoy it!!

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Wow, sounds exciting!!
Better there than in Ft Mac!!!
Enjoy it!!

The best thing I ever saw was the welcome to fort mac sign in my rear view mirror as I packed up and left.
I spent a year there and it was a year too long.
I like the boom on the exploration side but when a camp hits over 80 guys I'm gone.
More like 50.
I hate crowds.
The camps up there are 2000 plus.
They are so big some have 2 Tim hortons.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The best thing I ever saw was the welcome to fort mac sign in my rear view mirror as I packed up and left.
I spent a year there and it was a year too long.
I like the boom on the exploration side but when a camp hits over 80 guys I'm gone.
More like 50.I hate crowds.

Camp of 80 is not bad. How would like to stay in a camp of 2500 up there.
I never stayed in the camp when I was there, just ate their food,, hahha.
Always had my own place in town.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Camp of 80 is not bad. How would like to stay in a camp of 2500 up there.
I never stayed in the camp when I was there, just ate their food,, hahha.
Always had my own place in town.

I like camps of 40 people,then you can actually talk to the guys,in a 5000 man camp its so impersonal,like cold lake.I hated it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And you think that's healthy for the environment?
Is it the drilling that is bad for the environment or the product?

As you are well aware I don't buy into the CO2 hooey BUT I want to be clear that I fully support clean air, water and soil.

There is a by-product of fossil fuels which we rarely hear mentioned which is truly something I'm concerned about and that is sulfur.

Sulfur is what seperates sweet crude (low sulfur content) heavy crude and oil sands bitumen (high sulfur content)

What is being done about sulfur content? Plenty but we just don't hear about it enough thanks to the overzealous marketing of CO2 as the biggest environmental culprit.

The current investment into desulfurization R&D is heavy. Upgrading which is a desulfurization process turns heavy crude and bitumen into a high grade low sulfur product.

Upgrading tech is making leaps and bounds to achieve a product that is of remarkably good quality.

Are the oil companies and Fed researchers doing it soley for environment purposes? To be honest the answer is yes and no. The sulfur extracted during upgrading is a very very valuable asset and is sold to offset the high cost of upgrading.

If enviro groups wanted to make a real impact they'd put sulfur first and foremost because the impacts of sulfur reduction are immediate and benefit all of us on this goofy planet today

Sulfur affects all of us in the here and now not through hypotheticals and potentials like CO2.

The sulfur issue is real.

A final note to the CO2 bandwagoneers who think we still live ni the 70s......SMARTEN THE **** UP!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
In Sudbury, sulphur emissions created the surface-of-the-moon effect for which this once grain-producing region of Northern Ontario became infamous. The Stack was seen as a solution as it dissipated byproducts of the smelting process much higher into the atmosphere. In about three years, The Stack will be gone. Vale is investing around $2 billion their into their AER project - cleaning up their act.

The irony is, if you Google AER (Algoma Eastern Railway - one of the old local carriers) you'll meet O'Donnell roasting yard - an area so badly polluted by sulphur and heavy metals that 90 years after it closed, nothing grows there.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Petros
Crude in that part of the country is very low in sulphur. This includes bitumen from the oil sands.
Upgrading is NOT a desulphuraization process.
Just where are you getting this malarkey anyways??? Some of this bitumen is sent to Regina for refining, is the Regina refinery built to sour spec??? NO, it isn't!!!

Separating sulphur from crude is a well established technology in areas where the crude is sour, like in the Fox Creek area of AB.

Better learn to get your facts straight before you go mouthing off on something you know nothing about..

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Petros
Crude in that part of the country is very low in sulphur. This includes bitumen from the oil sands.
Upgrading is NOT a desulphuraization process.
Just where are you getting this malarkey anyways??? Some of this bitumen is sent to Regina for refining, is the Regina refinery built to sour spec??? NO, it isn't!!!

Separating sulphur from crude is a well established technology in areas where the crude is sour, like in the Fox Creek area of AB.

Better learn to get your facts straight before you go mouthing off on something you know nothing about..
A refinery isn't an upgrader. Desulfurization and paraffin removal is what upgraders do.

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It is definitely healthy for the environment in a lot of working peoples bank accounts.
I don't want to kill the oil sands, I want transparency and accountability.

Despite the unrealistic and false claims of certain internet experts here, there is little transparency, and accountability is only enforced, when the smoking gun is dripping oil.

Is it the drilling that is bad for the environment or the product?
Both have claims made against them.

As you are well aware I don't buy into the CO2 hooey BUT I want to be clear that I fully support clean air, water and soil.
As you're aware, I'm roughly in the same boat.

The rest of your post is interesting, thanks.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Daily rig report for Kindedrsley/Kerrobert/Dodsland area in Sask,currently 12 rigs drilling with a YTD total of 209 vertical and 608 horizontal wells drilled so far this year. None of these wells will be capped,they will be tied in as soon as the service rigs off the site.
Nice to see all the attention on the oilsands.

LOL!