Al Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Oh boy isn't history wonderful???

That pesky Nobel - for whom the award clangs....

I'm still wrestling the knowledge that Hitler also received the award.

Oh and the dude who invented dynamite - whatta guy - gotta look up his name.. (joke eh)

And then there is Mahatma Gandhi who was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize five times between 1937 and 1948 but never won it.

Kinda makes me sit back and ponder the use of it.

Hilter didn't win the Peace Prize, but he was nominated (I forget by who), but it was later retracted.

HOWEVER, this is how "noble" the Nobel Peace Prize is.

Stalin and Mussolini were both nominated. Kissinger and Arafat both won it.

You leave someone out like Ghandi and give the award to a "freedom fighter" gives you an understanding of how "morals" play a part in this award.

The Peace Price is all politics.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Can't get it any dirtier than it already is. Reminds me of the Olympic games.

ITN

This is my third correction to my in error post - Hitler's Mein Kampf is nominated regularly for a Literature Nobel but is routinely turned down. My apologies to you.

The corruptors have taken all that is pure and worthy and turned it into slime to further their own silly impotent agendas.....

Such is the power of the media to spread the filth as quickly as they can file it....

Now there is our real god - the one we all follow - the media. The true power in all the lands while they dole 'pretend power' to silly little dictators who emulate their idea of kings and royals by putting their pictures and voices into the air for the world to know them for what they pretend to be.

To think I was shocked at the Russian and French Ice Skating Judges for taking bribes - ha - it should be so simple - and that was only a few short years ago. I will never see another Olympic Games as it was meant to be.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Hilter didn't win the Peace Prize, but he was nominated (I forget by who), but it was later retracted.

HOWEVER, this is how "noble" the Nobel Peace Prize is.

Stalin and Mussolini were both nominated. Kissinger and Arafat both won it.

You leave someone out like Ghandi and give the award to a "freedom fighter" gives you an understanding of how "morals" play a part in this award.

The Peace Price is all politics.

I know most of you ranting cons would much prefer GWB getting the peace prize but sorry, will never happen.

Ghandi likely would have gotten it in 1948 but was assassinated and dead guys don't get one even though it had been considered by the committee, no prize was awarded that particular year for that reason.

Now as far as Kissenger and Arafat are concerned they shared the prize thoses years for being involved with other idividuals in land mark peace proccesses and how about all those other assholes who have won like Martin Luther King, Mother Terresa, Nelson Mandela, Anwar Saddat, Mikhail Gorbachev, Menachem Begin and so on.

It's more sour grapes from cons who don't agree with Al Gore, the IPCC and there work which could save more lives than anybody listed on the entire peace prize list.....like you said it's all politics but you have to look in the mirror and say it to yourself daddy-oh.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I doubt it, he's doing a lot more as an educator and voice of reason.

Despite what anyone says about him, he's head and shoulders above any modern public figure when it comes to integrity and foresight. Which is probably why the Republicans went to such lengths to keep him out of power in 2000.

HA!

This is the guy that claimed to have learned everything important that he knew while workin' the fields with his Daddy.

His Daddy was a US Senator, and Al went to private schools......he weren't out drivin' the mules, I promise.

This is the guy that claimed to have invented the Internet.

This is the guy that claims to have been converted to the cause of global warming in high school.........when the great fear du jour was a new ice age.......

This is the guy that whines on about global warming while living a LARGE life, and leaving a huge carbon foot print.

Can you say "hypocrit"?

This guy is Bill Clinton with his zipper up. At least Slick Willy provided some good entertainment.....Gore is BORING pond scum.

And as for the Nobel Prize.......I became convinced earlier this year that the Swedish Academy smokes a LOT of dope in their meetings.........ever read The Tin Drum ? It won the Nobel Prize for literature..........I can just see the members of the Academy holding their guts, trying not to ralph they are laughing so hard at all the morons that were going to read that CRAP simply because of the prize.........

I was suckered......if THAT is how seriously they actually take the awarding of prizes........

Oh yeah.....Hitler might not have won the Nobel Prize for Peace.....but Yassir Arafat did, as did Menachim Begin......both terrorists, although Begin had at least ceased his terrorist activities.

That is my rant for this evening.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Gore isn't perfect, but he's a hell of a lot better than what the US has now. A fool and a tool are running the country. The fool goes along with whatever the tool says and the tool is busy starting wars so he and his buddies in companies like Halliburton, Blackwater and Exxon Mobile can get more wealthy than anyone in history.

There's nothing that Gore has done or will concievably do in his lifetime that will even compare to the obscene actions being taken in Americas name as we speak.

That's my rant in response to your rant.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
The Americans swept the Nobel for medical prizes. Don't try to tell me that one of the guys was really from Europe. I read that. He is an American citizen and teaches at a North Carolina university.

What did Canada win? I haven't seen the entire list.

Uncle

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

Hmmm.

Intergovernmental Panel
on Climate Change
Albert Arnold (Al) Gore, Jr.

"for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/

Reactions: Phil B

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Shows the quality of the man who should have become President in 2000. If the democratic process had been allowed to run it's course and the Supreme Court, Jeb Bush, Katherine Harris, Fox, et al hadn't been allowed to sellect the President the world would be a very different place today.

George Bush on the other hand, with Iraq, Katrina, Guantanamo Bay, CIA secret torture sites, Patriot Act, etc... has taken an early and very impressive lead in the race for the title of Asshole of the new Millenium. Way to go Georgie!!!

I was giggling tonight when I turned on Hannity/Colmes, just to see the reaction, as Hannity was livid and almost sutttering with disbelief. They hate the democrats so much, they are obbsessed.
I was thrilled, just for that reason alone, and, oh, by the way, HE EARNED THE PRIZE, AND CONGRATULATIONS TO AL GORE, keep up the good work.
Don't know how Allan Colmes can stomach having to do that show with Hannity every night. Colmes is so quietly intelligent, and makes so much sense, and is completely outnumbered by the panicky
right wing Hannity, with his blown out of proportion responses and opinions, he is a joke.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Oh boy isn't history wonderful???

That pesky Nobel - for whom the award clangs....

I'm still wrestling the knowledge that Hitler also received the award.

Oh and the dude who invented dynamite - whatta guy - gotta look up his name.. (joke eh)

And then there is Mahatma Gandhi who was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize five times between 1937 and 1948 but never won it.

Kinda makes me sit back and ponder the use of it.

If Gore and Hitlar can both win this prize it can't be that prestigious.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I was giggling tonight when I turned on Hannity/Colmes, just to see the reaction, as Hannity was livid and almost sutttering with disbelief. They hate the democrats so much, they are obbsessed.
I was thrilled, just for that reason alone, and, oh, by the way, HE EARNED THE PRIZE, AND CONGRATULATIONS TO AL GORE, keep up the good work.
Don't know how Allan Colmes can stomach having to do that show with Hannity every night. Colmes is so quietly intelligent, and makes so much sense, and is completely outnumbered by the panicky
right wing Hannity, with his blown out of proportion responses and opinions, he is a joke.

The hard right is getting downright looney in the US, they talk about freedom and democracy but take it away wherever they can. Gore represents respect for human rights and the environment, something that is a threat to the Neocon agenda which is all about exploiting people and nature for a few bucks.

I hope Gore does run and gets elected President, it would make the heads explode on so many idiots in the US.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I am lol'ing on the floor at some of the canucks here who are pretending to know that the Goreacle is somehow good for America, or at least better than what we have.

Mr. Glowbull warming's house would eat up most of Canada's resources during a hard winter, but I suppose thats fine with some of you. Way to be be green Mr. Inconviency..

:lol: Moral equivalance. And you people. = Priceless.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Hitler and Mussolini were nominated for the Nobel Prize but did not win it.

By contrast, Kissinger won it in 1973.

Well, at least Bush didn't win it --- that would have been quite a chuckle had he done so.;-)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

The Globe and Mail noted (in a opinion column) that the courts in the United Kingdom have ordered that An Inconvenient Truth be shown in schools with a disclaimer debunking the worst of his fear mongering........

Michael Moore redux.

The Nobel Prize?

A bad joke.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
If Gore and Hitlar can both win this prize it can't be that prestigious.

Hi S243a - I have to tell you I am in error about my original post - Hitler was nominated for his authorship of Mein Kampf on a number occasions but never awarded.

I have done three mea culpa apologies for being wrongo..... sorry.... I followed someone else's information and fool that I am ... didn't check to verify.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Curio:

You've apologized more than enough - if folks can't bother to read the thread before they post, they should be the ones to apologize.

Pangloss