Afghanistan: a war that can't be won

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: Afghanistan: a war that can't be won

I think not said:
Jersay said:
Here's the thought turn the opium into morphine its the exact same thing. Instead of drugs illegal. Turn it into a useful drug that can help people and pay them that.

That's being worked on via the UN, the fringe left forgets to mention that.

not quickly enough. got a link handy?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

MikeyDB said:
Curious how there's rarely a response from ITN that demonstrates that what those of the "fringe left" are saying isn't factual and entirely representative of how America procecutes its Manifest Destiny.....

That's correct, the fringe left are hypocritical lying corrupt elitists that have swayed large portions of the population by promising them a utopian society.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
Re: RE: Afghanistan: a war th

Claudius said:
The poppy production was never part of the mission so I don't see how that's an indicator that the missions is failing.

so much the worse if it wasn't. why would you need to see that?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think not said:
Jersay said:
Why can't people support the Afghan Mission. It has evolved from getting Osama, and it is to get rid of a brutal regime.

Because Jersay, Amerika is involved.

That's rediculous. True the legality of invading Iraq is questionable, but the US had a clear UN mandate to enter Afghanistan. No educated person could deny that. To say that we should not get involved in Afghanistan because of what the US is doing in Iraq would be equivalent to refusing to cooperate with a neighbour to save a drowning woman because the neighbour broke some othrr law which has no relationship to saving the drowing woman whatsoever. Iraq is Iraq. Afghanistan is Afghanistan. And in Afghanistan, as far as I know, the US has a clear and legitimate legal mandate, as does Canada. Iraq has nothing to do with US involvement in Afghanistan, so where's the problem?

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006

I think not said:
MikeyDB said:
Curious how there's rarely a response from ITN that demonstrates that what those of the "fringe left" are saying isn't factual and entirely representative of how America procecutes its Manifest Destiny.....

That's correct, the fringe left are hypocritical lying corrupt elitists that have swayed large portions of the population by promising them a utopian society.

Far better of course that they should adopt the policy and philosophies of the "fringe right" that employs "shock and awe" under the pretext of lies and misdirection...

As this right fringe would like it, kill them all...let god sort them out...but make sure America gets what it wants...

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006

MikeyDB said:
To believe that the criminal acts targetting the WTC don't reflect on American foreign policy as dictated by big drugs and big petroleum is like imagining that big sugar played no role in destroying Haiti.

As long as Harper and by default "Canadians" stand and salute the American "cause" there won't ever be any "sensible" solution to any conflict involving the American industrial complex.

All I know for sure is the World Trade Center wasn't a random selection.

From what I've been able to gather the US will still have a strategic presence around Kanduhar. The Dutch insisted on it. The Americans are just fulfilling their designated role.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Machjo said:
I think not said:
Jersay said:
Why can't people support the Afghan Mission. It has evolved from getting Osama, and it is to get rid of a brutal regime.

Because Jersay, Amerika is involved.

That's rediculous. True the legality of invading Iraq is questionable, but the US had a clear UN mandate to enter Afghanistan. No educated person could deny that. To say that we should not get involved in Afghanistan because of what the US is doing in Iraq would be equivalent to refusing to cooperate with a neighbour to save a drowning woman because the neighbour broke some othrr law which has no relationship to saving the drowing woman whatsoever. Iraq is Iraq. Afghanistan is Afghanistan. And in Afghanistan, as far as I know, the US has a clear and legitimate legal mandate, as does Canada. Iraq has nothing to do with US involvement in Afghanistan, so where's the problem?

You believe everybody has your clarity of thought Machjo? If you think the fringe left can look at things without using buzzwords like Big Oil, Big Business and the like, you're mistaken. The US is a direct contrast to their core belief.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

MikeyDB said:
I think not said:
MikeyDB said:

Far better of course that they should adopt the policy and philosophies of the "fringe right" that employs "shock and awe" under the pretext of lies and misdirection...

As this right fringe would like it, kill them all...let god sort them out...but make sure America gets what it wants...

Oh not at all, I consider the fringe right to be almost devoid of a moral compass, at best it's spinning in all directions out of control and stops for a brief moment to point where it suits them.

That doesn't negate the fact the fringe left has any semblance of reality.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Big Oil and Big Business are what America's always been about ITN why must you shy away from admitting that you'd be happier than a pig in a wallow if everyone would just quietly lie down and let Corporate America steamroll over the world until there isn't a drop of clean water or breatheable air left for anyone....

It's what you want after all....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
"Encourages Member States to support efforts to ensure the safety and security of areas of Afghanistan no longer under Taliban control, and in particular to ensure respect for Kabul as the capital for all the Afghan people, and especially to protect civilians, transitional authorities, United Nations and associated personnel, as well as personnel of humanitarian organizations;"

I don't think we need to define success beyond the mandate though. As for poppies, Opium, etc. nowhere does the resolution say we need to transfrom Afghanistan into aperfect utopian busting world economy within the next two days.

If we limit ourselves to the mandate itself, then I think the mission is accomplisheable... "to support efforts to ensure the safety and security of areas of Afghanistan no longer under Taliban control, and in particular to ensure respect for Kabul as the capital for all Afghan people, and especially to protect civilians, transitional authorities, United Nations and associated personnel, as well as personnel of humanitarian organizations."

I think that's handleable. It's not even asking us to try to establish democracy there, or rebuild the nation, or even regain control of Taliban controlled regions. It's only asking to maintain stability where we already have control. I think that's the least we could do... no matter how much it costs Canada in lives and money.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

MikeyDB said:
Big Oil and Big Business are what America's always been about ITN why must you shy away from admitting that you'd be happier than a pig in a wallow if everyone would just quietly lie down and let Corporate America steamroll over the world until there isn't a drop of clean water or breatheable air left for anyone....

Yes, it's in the best interests of Big Business to wipe out it's customer base. Get real.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

MikeyDB said:

I won't deny the oil conspiracy theories because there might be some truth to them. But again, sometimes good intentions can intermix with the bad. Just as a thief could suddenly pull over to save a drowning woman, so even an administration with the worse intentions could have good intentions mixed in. As for Afghanistan, there wree legitimate reasons. Bin Landen was hiding there after 9/11 attacks. The US requested the Taliban to hand him over, which I think was more than reasonable, and the Taliban effectively told the US to f- off. At that stage the US saught UN permisison to attack Afghanistan, which I thought was praiseworthyseeing that it did in fact consult with the UN rather than just telling it to f- off (Granted bush did do that later for iraq, but that's anotehr story), and the UN, seeing that the US did in fact have a legitimate claim, and that the Taliban refused to cooperate, granted permission. At that stage, war was legit.

Now as for oil, if that is a side-objective of the US, fine, then we ought to keep an eye out for that. But as long as the eveidence isn't forthcomng, innocent until proven guilty. The ony reason I'm suspicious of US involvement in Iraq is due to how the US snubbed the UN, as if it was in a rush to get something. But as for Afghanistan, there is no such evidence of ill-intent there yet to suggest action need be taken right now.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Oh come on now ITN....

500,000 dead Iraqi women and children wouldn't make a dent in your "market" now would it?

Of course not, because this "customer base" is AMURICA" and the efort isn't to sell anything to the rest of the world but to import the flavor of "American Democracy" that sees rampant poverty beside exhorbitant wealth.

Don't play the "humanist" song here ITN, there's nothing humanistic about the two hundred military incursions and uncounted "covert" ops (CIA) that the US has practiced since over the past century and a half...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

MikeyDB said:
Oh come on now ITN....

500,000 dead Iraqi women and children wouldn't make a dent in your "market" now would it?

Of course not, because this "customer base" is AMURICA" and the efort isn't to sell anything to the rest of the world but to import the flavor of "American Democracy" that sees rampant poverty beside exhorbitant wealth.

Don't play the "humanist" song here ITN, there's nothing humanistic about the two hundred military incursions and uncounted "covert" ops (CIA) that the US has practiced since over the past century and a half...

Sorry, Mikey, but I thought this thread was about Afghanistan, not Iraq.

If it was an Iraq thread, maybe I'd tend to agree with you a little more. But I fail to see how Afghanistan relates to Iraq. IAfghanistan is a perfectly legitimate mandate.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Machjo

You really beleive a thief would make the effort to save a drowning woman????

A thief is a person who has only one interest and that's his/her personal welfare PERIOD.

This person has decided that the laws morals and ethics of anyone and everyone else place far far behind getting "theirs"....

Think United States of America

Sure how silly of me....Iraq Iran the Sudan, Darfur all this has nothing to do with Afghanistan....

Please avoid looking at the larger picture...I'm sure you won't like what you see.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

MikeyDB said:
Oh come on now ITN....

I'm more of a humanist than you will ever hope to become. I realize 500,000 dead doesn't make a dent, and the solution of the fringe left? One Hundred million dead in the 20th century to ensure the evil empire doesn't get a shot at the market.

Face it MikeyDB, your ideology is a dying breed, perhaps in several hundred years when man has evolved to the point to shed negative emotions it may be plausible, in the meantime there is nothing you and your ilk can do about it.

Carry on.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

MikeyDB said:
Machjo

You really beleive a thief would make the effort to save a drowning woman????

A thief is a person who has only one interest and that's his/her personal welfare PERIOD.

This person has decided that the laws morals and ethics of anyone and everyone else place far far behind getting "theirs"....

Think United States of America

Then let's look at it from your perspective. Let's suppose the only reason the thief wants to save the drowing woman is to get at her handbag. Does that mean you would refuse to help him to save her?

Two results:

1. Her chances of drowning are increased due to less help.
2. Even if sh eis saved, the chances of teh thief stealing her handbag is increased since you buggered off.

The other option is that you help the thief to save the drowning woman. Two results:

1. Her chances of survival are increased.
2. The thief might think twice about taking her hadnbag now that you're standing next to him

So are you suggesting that while you don't trust the US in Afghanistan, you'd rather let Afghanistan fall to bits AND leasve the US there without anyone to keep an eye on them?

It would seem to me then that that distrust of the US would in and of itself be a very good reason to support Afghanistan if you truly care aobut it...or are you just looking out for Canadian short term interests?

Afghanistan is legitimate, the US has asked for help, so shy can't we provide it. It's not like we're licking the US' boots here, if that's what concerns you. We went in at UN, not US, request. Canada and the US are equals, partners, in Afghanistan, and not Canada as the US' lap dog.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Identifying the disease that you and your ilk represent to that evolutionary process is everyones duty.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just want to point out, I love Canada, I'm patriotic, but I do not believe in looking out for Canada's best interests at the expense of the rest of the world. Just as I'd be prepared to sacrifice my life to save another, I'd just as quickly sacrifice Canada for the good of the world. As for Afghanistan, we're not even asking for anything remotely close to sacrificing Canada. We're merely asking to fulfill a moderately worded UN resolution. Is that too much for Canada to sacrifice for mankind? Is that really asking for too much?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

MikeyDB said:
Identifying the disease that you and your ilk represent to that evolutionary process is everyones duty.

You have it all backwards. Here's something for you to ponder while banging your keyboard, the Fringe Left is a disease, the United States is the cure.