According to a poster here on CanCon

Becoming American would be a fate worse than death for most Canadians.

• Yes, that's right we're bigots.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • How dare the poster speak on behlaf of MOST Canadians

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No, that's completely untrue.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other, Don't know, Don't Care

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
We must be coming from a different set of values, ITN. I wouldn't do that. You obviously would and are proud of it. Now's the place where I usually nod politely and say you're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine.... and have a good day.

Pride has nothing to do with it, I went to other forums to put juan's claim to the test. Turns out I'm not the only one who thinks he's a bigot (unless of course a vitriolic leftist read it and commented).

Like I said, I know juan from the telus days.

Now whether or not you wouldn't do what I did, is really irrelevant to me. I never mentioned his name or this site anywhere. It was completely anonymous. And you should know that.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Pride has nothing to do with it, I went to other forums to put juan's claim to the test. Turns out I'm not the only one who thinks he's a bigot (unless of course a vitriolic leftist read it and commented).

Now whether or not you wouldn't do what I did, is really irrelevant to me. I never mentioned his name or this site anywhere. It was completely anonymous. And you should know that.
Hey i've had a peek in juan's trousers and theres nothing big in em..:p

man the politics is no more fun in here...i think when the conservative folk lose face they turn funny on everyone...:idea:

hahahahahahaha
WHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

vvarrroooooooom varrooooommmm....

oink oink...litle piggy conservative harper went to the market to buy food...it was all poisoned and he did not care cause his stock market is up...oink oink...

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB

Sorry ITN, I should have clarified. I was actually responding to as you a fellow member, not as a mod.

I'm aware of the manner in which you did it. At the end of the day though, a spade is still just a shovel.

We'll have to agree to disagree and as I said, leaving it there is fine with me. You'll find me a sorry adversary, ITN if you care to engage in a debate with me. I suck at it - mainly because convincing you that I'm right is completely unnecessary to my assurance that my values fit me perfectly. I don't need to try and make them fit you. I could in fact, be 'wrong'.

I don't think so though.

Last edited:
May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
We'll have to agree to disagree and as I said, leaving it there is fine with me. You'll find me a sorry adversary, ITN if you care to engage in a debate with me. I suck at it - mainly because convincing you that I'm right is completely unnecessary to my assurance that my values fit me perfectly. I don't need to try and make them fit you. I could in fact, be 'wrong'.

This is a very slippery slope zan...
When are you going to stop the troll crap....

I hate when you troll....
this is not becoming you know....

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hmmm... That's a trick question. Since I'm only part of #juan's ilk (went back to check - we know how verbatum works) if I were to eat ilk, raw or cooked, that would make me a cannibal - or very friendly. I need some milk....

Wolf

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Sorry ITN, I should have clarified. I was actually responding to as you a fellow member, not as a mod.

I'm aware of the manner in which you did it. At the end of the day though, a spade is still just a shovel.

I don't think so though.

Being right is a point of view, as are values.

Goodnight.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You can all play word games all you like, but I tell you that I know juan from the telus days and his vitriol is genuine. He's an American hater, hence a bigot. Period.

ITN, You haven't a clue how much ilk is in my vitriol and that makes you an even bigger, or possibly the biggest bigot that has ever been begot. That's all I'm going to say about begetting bigotry...:smile:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I know it sounds like an insult to you when it is suggested that not everyone in the world wants to be just like you. Sorry. Most Canadians want to be Canadians......even though that option doesn't appear on your nasty little poll.

I'm with you Juan....The build up to the last Quebec referendum had me thinkin of where I would be movin if Canada started to split. SOme talked about the provinces possibly joining the states. Rather than live under that criminal regime I'd be heading to New Zealand.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I'd Probably go to New Zealand too.

And I would die rather than becoming American. Nothing against American's..but would you die rather than being another nationality? Would you die before letting China annex America?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Dang

I always miss the booger-flingin fights...gotta start posting later at night...

Any ilks still runnin around?

goat

Time Out
Mar 8, 2007
Canada's dirty little secret: We're a lot like Americans
Personality traits close to those in U.S.: study

Misty Harris, The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Saturday, September 08, 2007

Canadians like to think of themselves as polite, soft-spoken, welcoming and as unlike their American neighbours as can be.

But a U.S. expert on personality psychology recently completed a study that reveals the two national characters are more similar than many would care to admit.

David Schmitt, a professor at Bradley University in Illinois, analysed the geographic distribution of the "Big Five" personality traits -- extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousnes, neuroticism and openness -- in 17,837 people from 56 nations. Using the U.S. as a statistical benchmark at 50.0 in each of the five categories, Canada scored 48.32 in extroversion, 49.14 in agreeableness, 49.05 in conscientiousnes, 50.58 in neuroticism and 48.75 in openness.

This means Canadians are only slightly less extroverted and open than Americans, and a touch more neurotic. It also suggests denizens of the True North are actually less agreeable and conscientious than their U.S. counterparts, turning decades of contrasting stereotypes on their head.
"One funny definition I heard is that a Canadian is someone who apologizes when you step on his foot," says Jason Kenney, Secretary of State for Multiculturalism and Canadian Identity. "We can be quite civil, but I don't think we're spineless. ... We're not people who stand back from a just fight." Given this country's personality scores, and their close statistical ties to those of Americans, that appears to be true.

But Mr. Kenney cringes at the idea of using one nation as a yardstick to measure the other.

"I'm fed up with that kind of neurotic version of Canadian nationalism where we constantly compare ourselves to the United States," he says. "We have our similarities and our differences." The Canadian participants in the Bradley University survey, which is published in the Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, comprised 1,039 college students: three English-speaking groups from Ontario, Alberta and B.C., and one French-speaking group from Quebec. The results are considered accurate within 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Where Canadians proved most like their U.S. neighbours, reports Mr. Schmitt, was in the study sub-section dealing with attachment styles.

"North America is different from most regions of the world in that our models of self are good -- we believe we're worthy of love and we love ourselves," says Mr. Schmitt. "But our models of others are lower than the rest of the world." We think pretty darn highly of ourselves, in other words, but are deeply untrusting of the people around us.

The Quebec sample was the only group of Canadian respondents that diverged from North American averages, with scores Mr. Schmitt said more closely resembled those of France than the U.S. and English-speaking Canada.
France drew one of the lowest global scores for extroversion (45.44), was found much less agreeable (46.64) than North America in general (Canada, Mexico and U.S. together averaged 49.27), and was among the most neurotic of all surveyed nations (52.29). Exact numbers for Quebec were unavailable.

Many know juan and gerry from boards galore. Their hate, always wrapped in a blanket of bigotry, is well known.

As the article above states, it's too late for them to worry about this thread, the poll or their own hate-filled hubris and superciliousness. As to NZ gerryh, what on earth could or would possess you to think you might find an open door there amongst your dwindling sorry arsed ilk.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I beg to differ,there is many on this forum who constantly put down America. This thread is an example of this.Better dead than American,that says to me that someone really has a hate on for the states.

Context is everything. At the moment America isn't doing a great job of standing up for the values that made it a great country and one that the rest of the world can look to as a model for the future. This doesn't mean that there are no good qualities, just that a couple of really bad ones are hogging the spot light.

So when you ask who would want to be American instead of Canadian, you are asking who supports war without justice, prison without trial, action without consequences and exported greed.

This isn't at all a complete picture of America, but it's a popular one at the moment.

As I mentioned it's not the country it's the people. And some Americans do a lot of damage to the rest of the world when they get together and gain control of the direction the country moves in. The Civil War is slowly returning to cold war status. This time it's not north and south but red and blue. Now that isn't a very comfortable thought is it? So why would anyone want to join up and where do you get off calling people bigots if they don't?

It's like the "Support the troops" crap. If you try to use it so that it means agree with me or you don't support the troops, then you are yourself working against all that they mean to fight for.