Abolish the Senate

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yes, more or less. No the residential school system was not a condition for confédération but it started immediately afterwards. It's pretty clear what vision the founding fathers had, and the residential and separate school systems all fit into it.

And Gerryh, please feel free to quote the part of the UDHR you disagree with.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yes, more or less. No the residential school system was not a condition for confédération but it started immediately afterwards. It's pretty clear what vision the founding fathers had, and the residential and separate school systems all fit into it.

And Gerryh, please feel free to quote the part of the UDHR you disagree with.

and now you've added in the UDHR..... anything else you want to throw in? I don't remember mentioning the UDHR.

I do, however, notice you answered only a small part of my post.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Senate has needed to go for decades its the house of privilege for bag mane and
loyal Tories and Liberals.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The Senate has needed to go for decades its the house of privilege for bag mane and
loyal Tories and Liberals.

I tend to agree given the current situation. However I think it's purpose is good, but it has to be filled with people with a working brain and there definitely has to be strict rules as to expense claims and the vouchers have to be double checked and signed off as to their propriety. Things like $25 breakfasts should be absolutely taboo. Where second homes are claimed, only the time of actual residence there should be claimed and should be confirmed by presenting utility bills. Too bad these bastards have to be monitored like kindergarten kids. And after one breach their a$$ is fired out of there.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Julius Ceasar nearly abolished the Senate and he ended up getting assassinated.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Thirdly, I support choice in education for everyone. For exanple, if we provided a school voucher, and enough parents wanted to send their children to a Catholic school, then you could have your Catholic school, but this would apply to all parents, and bot just Roman Catholic ones.
That is how the system works now...if you want a religious schooling experience you send your kids to the Catholic school. If you want a secular experience you send your kids to the public school. If it's a Catholic choice the tax money flows one way, if it's secular your tax money flows in the other direction.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That is how the system works now...if you want a religious schooling experience you send your kids to the Catholic school. If you want a secular experience you send your kids to the public school. If it's a Catholic choice the tax money flows one way, if it's secular your tax money flows in the other direction.

Not quite. This is exclusive to Catholic and Protestant (there is still one Protestant school board in Ontario), but does not apply to Jews etc. That's why the UN criticized Canada over it.

Also, the tax money is pooled. You only get to choose the one you'like vote for, not where the money goes. The government later parses the money according to needs.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Not quite. This is exclusive to Catholic and Protestant (there is still one Protestant school board in Ontario), but does not apply to Jews etc. That's why the UN criticized Canada over it.

Also, the tax money is pooled. You only get to choose the one you'like vote for, not where the money goes. The government later parses the money according to needs.
no anyone can go to a Catholic school if they support a faith based education they do not have to take part in the sacraments of the Catholics but they must support the faith

public education is secular meaning all inclusive

you choose which way YOUR taxes flow...that's why registration numbers have to be 100% accurate otherwise no funding is given for that student and that goes for either of the Boards; separate or public

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
So how do we explain parents pretending to convert so they can send their children to Catholuc school.

And again, no you do not get to choose where the money goes. The government pools it. If you do not believe me, contact the ministry yourself. You only get to choose which to vote for.

The government divides the money according to needs.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
We don't need just minor senate reform like the NDP seems to think. Opening the Constitution is long overdue.

In fact, one reason I feel so unmotivated to vote in elections is that while our Constitution, the highest law in the kand, remains one big mess, politicians bicker over minor laws. In that sense, the differences even between the NDP and the Conservatives are superficial in comparison. I don't get how be op le can get all wound up between these parties when all of their fundamental policies are practically identical.

I take it you don't have an understanding of the NDP and their views on the Senate.

The NDP stands for abolishment of the Senate, not just minor reform; always have, always will............

As you know Stephen Harper has a terrible image problem. His numbers are tanking, his personal popularity is about as low as it has ever been.

He can't call himself a Great Economist Leader without risking being charged with fraud.
Many are calling him Great Chicken Turkey Leader, and hardly anyone believes a word he says.
So this latest desperate move can only make matters

Harper seeks to distance himself from Senate as audit report looms - The Globe and Mail

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Sure. I'm all for abolishing the Senate.

Here's the hard part: It requires a constitutional amendment to do so and that requires anonymity of the provinces (same issue with abolishing the monarchy)
The provinces have yet to agree on the colour of shyte and Senate (and Monarchy) abolition is a virtual impossibility, no matter what the government in power in Ottawa thinks.

It will NEVER happen.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I take it you don't have an understanding of the NDP and their views on the Senate.

The NDP stands for abolishment of the Senate, not just minor reform; always have, always will............

As you know Stephen Harper has a terrible image problem. His numbers are tanking, his personal popularity is about as low as it has ever been.

He can't call himself a Great Economist Leader without risking being charged with fraud.
Many are calling him Great Chicken Turkey Leader, and hardly anyone believes a word he says.
So this latest desperate move can only make matters

Harper seeks to distance himself from Senate as audit report looms - The Globe and Mail

I'm well aware of the NDP's view. What I meant was that abolishing the senate is a minor matter compared to the revisions the Constitution needs. You seem to think the Senate is the biggest problem the Constitution has.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
So how do we explain parents pretending to convert so they can send their children to Catholuc school.

And again, no you do not get to choose where the money goes. The government pools it. If you do not believe me, contact the ministry yourself. You only get to choose which to vote for.

The government divides the money according to needs.

Wow, just wow. Arguing against something and you don't have a clue. Seems to be the thing for so many on here.

and no one needs to "convert" for their child to attend a Catholic school. More evidence of your ignorance.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just bolder the applicable text in the OP for the dyslexics among us.

I just bolder the applicable text in the OP.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
you can't pretend to convert to Catholicism, you must show proof of Catholicism when registering your child with the Catholic Board.

If you are not Catholic you will have an interview with the principal of that school as to why you wish to send your children to a faith based school. Your particular faith and that of your child then becomes irrelevant: could be a Jew, Hindu, Muslim whatever faith you follow.

No you choose whether you wish your funds to flow to the Catholic education system otherwise they flow to the public...it's a procedure done with each registration regardless of whether or not you are Catholic...even if you rent from a landlord as a recognized Catholic your landlord must then sign off saying that your portion of his taxes paid by your rent flow to the Catholic Board.

Which is precisely why as a non-Christian I personally have a problem with people who argue against the Catholic School system saying that it costs more money. It does NOT. The same amount per child is given to the school be it public or Catholic. This is a fact.
The government divides the money according to needs
No it does not. Each school is given the same amount per registrant which is why bums in seats are important.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If it's the same amount per child, then it's based on bums in class, not parental salaries. The only that can happen is if the money is first pooled and then divided by number of students.

And it does cost more because one system might be overcrowded and the other with idle seats resulting in inefficiencies. Not to mention separate school boards.