A two-state solution for Canada?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
A stronger forestry industry and we produce alot of base metals. We also have a diamond mine too which will help. Our mining industry will outlast the oil in Alberta, thats a very real truth.
o.
Hmmmm, well ok, that's good, because when we separate and have a strong economy we'll need a lot of your stuff. So we'll be able to do a lot if business together^^! !

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Errr, you missed the lumber industry,
You mean the pulp industry.

Alberta doesn't have much timber-grade wood, except in strips along the Rockies, most of which is in national and provincial parks.

There is jackpine in the north, but it grows very slow, such that after they do a cut they'll have to wait at least 90 years just to get a pole, whereas on the west coast lumber-grade trees can be back in 30 years. Because of the small size of the Alberta trees it's virtually all made into pulp.
the coal,
Yeah there is a lot of coal. Most Albertans don't know that most of their electricity comes from coal fired stations up in the Swan hills... they tend to presume it's generated from natural gas.

If Alberta were to strip the top off all it's flatland (currently used for wheat) it could export a lot of coal, and that might suit the attitude of the current Alberta regime better. Before the PC's, the Socred government of Alberta was very much into the concept of sustainability (they learned it the hard way during the dust-bowl) but the Alberta PC's like exploitation of finite resources, so maybe the idea of repeating wheat crops is too confusing and they'd feel much more comfortable and familiar with stripping the soil off and trucking out the coal.
growing flatland wheat and raising foothills livestock *are* forms of farming.
manufacturing, etc.
Oh really. Okay, what do they manufacture. I know about glass in Medicine Hat and Cement in Ecshaw (although I'm not sure those count as manufacturing per se, more like secondary processing) and both of them are powered by cheap natural gas, which means both of those shut down when the methane wells dry up.
In Ontario, what do you have besides Government supported auto industry ?
They're on the Canadian shield which means mines, mines, and more mines.

Plus they have the best agricultural land in the country... the part they haven't paved over.

Plus they have lots of real manufacturing, not just secondary processing, beyond just vehicles... or at least they used to before the shareholders shipped all the jobs to China.
And in Quebec, besides Government supported Bombard...etc.?
Also on the Canadian shield, so mines, mines and more mines...plus they export enough hydro power to light up most of New York.
There are NO government supported industries in Alberta.
Oh really. So you mean TB Financial doesn't count as an industry?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Ahhh, farming, i was thinking about Alberta being one of the largest producers of malting barley.
I don't know anything about TB financial ??? Are you making this up??

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Durry your forgetting that the little menace they call the Mountain Pine Beetle is coming out in a big way in the Albertan Forests. That highly prized pine without its knots is going to bite the dust :(. But not to the extent of what happened in BC

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Until you guys run out of oil, and we get leverage on you guys. Then its going to be one way. How does that make you feel?
Well I feel just great, but I would feel even greater if we were separated from the east^^!!

The Oil Sands has about 300 yrs of oil, so I'm not sure about you but I won't be waiting to run out if oil.
And this is only the Oil Sands, we still have billions of barrels of conventional oil that has not been recovered yet because the cost to recover it is too high at current oil prices.
Traditionally in the western basin we can only recover 15-20% thru traditional means. The rest of the recovery will require higher prices.

Durry your forgetting that the little menace they call the Mountain Pine Beetle is coming out in a big way in the Albertan Forests. That highly prized pine without its knots is going to bite the dust :(. But not to the extent of what happened in BC
Yeah, well those little critters are getting there asses frozen off this year because once it gets very cold (-40c ??) it kills them.
They have been slowed down a bit as they come to AB.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well I feel just great, but I would feel even greater if we were separated from the east^^!!

The Oil Sands has about 300 yrs of oil, so I'm not sure about you but I won't be waiting to run out if oil.
And this is only the Oil Sands, we still have billions of barrels of conventional oil that has not been recovered yet because the cost to recover it is too high at current oil prices.
Traditionally in the western basin we can only recover 15-20% thru traditional means. The rest of the recovery will require higher prices.

Yeah, well those little critters are getting there asses frozen off this year because once it gets very cold (-40c ??) it kills them.
They have been slowed down a bit as they come to AB.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm don't hold your breath. That Minus 40 you mention has to be night and day for about 6 weeks. Minus 30 for a couple of hours in the morning 10 days a month doesn't do squat, expecially this late in the winter season. Also I think you forget an old adage..........................."United we stand divided we fall". You have a bit to learn about life yet, old chap.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
You have a bit to learn about life yet, old chap.
ummmm, well I think we all do ( and that probably includes you).
But I think expressing our opinions freely is part of it.

Isn't democracy great, try this in Libya !!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Ummm, what, are you saying we can't express our opinion freely ???
We can't excersize democracy ???
Ummmm, bring it on !!!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Ha ha ha, no guts no glory !!!

Idiot, I don't think so, at least not by an intelligent and knowledgeable people!!

I'll take my chances but thanks for the warning. I never good at taking advise. I have found I do much better on my own!!

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ahhh, farming, i was thinking about Alberta being one of the largest producers of malting barley.
Okay, yeah, I forgot about that one. Peace River district, source for some of the best barley in the world.
I don't know anything about TB financial ??? Are you making this up??
Actually it's ATB Financial, and it's where they parked the heritage Trust Fund before it was pillaged, and it's owned by the Provincial government.

Most old-school Alberta farmers swear by it as their one-and-only financial institution.

jwmcq625

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2007
But, would Quebec ever be happy not being able to control and gain undue advantage of Canadian taxpayer's dollars? I don't think so, as they have had it far too good, and gotten far too much from the rest of Canada by playing puppeteer to to both Liberals and Conservatives while fooling both and sending separatists to Ottawa with an agenda that ONLY deals with Quebec instead of all of Canada.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think separation is much bigger deal to the west than to Quebecois. You guys squawk about it much more. The Quebecois are probably "farting in your general direction".

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
This obviously isn't about Quebec or the West anymore is it?

I think there is a more deep seated problem coming out. ;-)

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.” -- Thomas Jefferson