A republic? Never! Britain’s quiet monarchy will continue to endure

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
5P... the money is unearned and perpetual no matter how it gets into her Royal Purse.

A lot of it is hereditary. Does that mean you believe that all inheritances should be abolished? The Queen does pay taxes and while we can quibble about the amount, how much do the Warren Buffets and other captains of industry pay to the US gov't? And how much do they demand in tax breaks, rezonings and favourable regulations for their investments?

I'm not saying that countries need a monarch and those that don't have it are any better or worse off: we all need people to perform the ceremonial roles that we all seem to have adopted over the years and what makes a popularity contest every 4 years a more valid form of choosing than an inherited title that one is trained to assume from birth? You can spin it either way...

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Ohhhh... I doubt the Royal Rascals get their Royal Urine checked monthly.

You're so cute. Of course no one checks Chuck and the Queen, but their humble servants? I would think so. If they have the sensibilities of America then they would not let a person who ever did drugs even sell you a radio. All American Corporations do drug testing. Even though it violates your freedoms you still do it. Long live the Queen.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
So basically, America is suffering a "Alchemy of Interregnum" untill the Crown comes back for it?

The reason why is i've allways looked at Democracy as an Interregnum of the Monarchy and not an auctual form of government.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
?? I'd like to know just what democracy is if it isn't gov't by the people.

Personally, I think most politicians suffer from persistent interregna of reason.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Wut? Blame France because the definition of democracy is gov't by the people? Sure, why not? I can blame anyone for anything.

"Democracy" from M.L. democratia (13c.), from Gk. demokratia, from demos "common people," originally "district" (see demotic), + kratos "rule, strength" (see -cracy).

Online etymology dictionary

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Blame France, they invented Democracy from suffering an Interregnum the way they treated Louis XVI, and never pulled out of it to this day.

The Greeks actually had the earliest form of democracy. The French Revolution came after the American Revolution. They had a monarchy.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
A lot of it is hereditary.

Inherited from whom? The Commonwealth.

Does that mean you believe that all inheritances should be abolished?

I didn't say that.

The Queen does pay taxes and while we can quibble about the amount, how much do the Warren Buffets and other captains of industry pay to the US gov't?

Warren Buffet isn't propped up on a throne. He is, as you say, a Captain of Industry, not ordained at birth as far as I know.

And how much do they demand in tax breaks, rezonings and favourable regulations for their investments?

Too much in my opinion. But Warren isn't a King.

I'm not saying that countries need a monarch and those that don't have it are any better or worse off: we all need people to perform the ceremonial roles that we all seem to have adopted over the years and what makes a popularity contest every 4 years a more valid form of choosing than an inherited title that one is trained to assume from birth? You can spin it either way...

Hey, I'm not saying she doesn't have a great gig.

valentinedaybab

May 5, 2010
This 2010 and time for a divorce....British Monarchy is passe and serves no purpose...we all know that fact....just that Canadians have been too nice to ask the B to leave, since the majority of us have been too busy with our own personal lives...think it is time once the B has passed on that we allow the monarchy to pass on....so eloquant I think and to allow Canada to evolve in the new direction it should.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This 2010 and time for a divorce....British Monarchy is passe and serves no purpose...we all know that fact....just that Canadians have been too nice to ask the B to leave, since the majority of us have been too busy with our own personal lives...think it is time once the B has passed on that we allow the monarchy to pass on....so eloquant I think and to allow Canada to evolve in the new direction it should.

Should I even ask exactly what “the B” is supposed to stand for? :-|

Canada’s constitutional monarchy (a distinct and entirely separate institution from the British monarchy you continue to refer to) serves several very real purposes for Canadians. Her Majesty The Queen of Canada is our head of State, and all executive power in and over Canada is vested in Her Majesty; this removes nominal executive power from our politicians, which in and of itself assists in the prevention of abuses of power. The Queen has always been very engaged in Canadian affairs; our own past prime ministers have expressed their delight at The Queen’s knowledge and up-to-the-minute awareness of our political situation at home. We could seek no head of State more seasoned than one as Her Majesty, having presided over dozens of heads of Government.

Canada can evolve in whatever direction it so chooses within the framework of a constitutional monarchy; our constitutional arrangements provide for tremendous flexibility. We have a system now that provides for stable, peaceful and orderly government under the splendour and unity of The Queen as directed by the ministers responsible to our elected representatives. (And this is only scratching the surface of our constitutional monarchy’s advantages; we haven’t even discussed the huge cultural role that the Office of the Governor General has been able to step up to in recent years.)