A National Shame?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
'''''Canada's health care system is puzzling. I find it hard to believe that citizens wait hours in the ER, wait weeks for a simple MRI and wait months or years for simple knee surgery. These facts by themselves constitute what should be Canada's national shame.''''

Bullsh it !!

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
'''''Canada's health care system is puzzling. I find it hard to believe that citizens wait hours in the ER, wait weeks for a simple MRI and wait months or years for simple knee surgery. These facts by themselves constitute what should be Canada's national shame.''''

Bullsh it !!

It's not complete bullsh it. The wait times in the ER is definitely true. I've experienced it first hand.

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Yes wait times tend to be long however you should consider Canadian Health Care as "Universal Triage" those with the severest need are treated much more quickly than someone with a niggling ill. In the end all are treated no one is turned away and no one is redirected from an emerengcy room & no one is ostrasized because of lack of funds or insurance.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Why can't everyone buy health insurance? They would get treated better in a private hospital
Provincial Health Care plans are very basic. They ensure nobody gets turned away for lack of ability to pay. Private insurance or out of pocket will still get you extras. Line jumpers can either afford private health care or wait like everyone else.

Joffen

Nominee Member
Jan 31, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yes wait times tend to be long however you should consider Canadian Health Care as "Universal Triage" those with the severest need are treated much more quickly than someone with a niggling ill. In the end all are treated no one is turned away and no one is redirected from an emerengcy room & no one is ostrasized because of lack of funds or insurance.
Ok, I get the concept of 'Universal Triage". However, there is a federal law which says no one is to be turned away from treatment. We don't turn people away at all. If I broke my arm and went to the ER and I didn't have insurance, I would still get a cast.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Let me ask all of you: are you truly happy with the services provided by your government? Do you honestly think it is remotely acceptable that you must wait and wait and wait for medical care? Don't any of you realize how awful universal health care is?

I never had any complaints, all the years I was working my family (five of us) were covered for $108 a month- pretty cheap to protect the most valuable asset we have. As for line ups that has NOTHING to do with Gov't.

Joffen

Nominee Member
Jan 31, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I never had any complaints, all the years I was working my family (five of us) were covered for $108 a month- pretty cheap to protect the most valuable asset we have. As for line ups that has NOTHING to do with Gov't.
Well good for you and your family, but you realize that you are an exception?

Joffen

Nominee Member
Jan 31, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Joffen medical related issues you pay up the ass for in America are free here
I would rather "pay up the ass" so I could get TIMELY medical care. Would you rather wait for treatment for "free" or would you get it as needed but pay for it. BTW, I don't understand why Canadians think they have "free" health care. It's not. It's paid for with higher taxes. It's not free at all! That's like saying someone on welfare gets "free" money. Uhhh, no. It has to get paid somehow. The debate is whether government run health care is better than privately run health care.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
If i were gushing blood from the using the table saw that cut off my arm i would be taken care of right away. If i broke my arm and i was crying like a little bitch id have to wait in the ER. Big deal

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well good for you and your family, but you realize that you are an exception?

No I'm not an exception - I paid exactly the same as any other paying the family rate. For a single person it was about $36 a month- like the cost of 3 restaurant meals.......................quit whining.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I have had two detached looked after in the last twelve year with no waiting at all then had cataract surgery done....the wait time for that is usualy about a month but I got it done with only a week's wait because I told the secretary that I would take a cancelation with only a few hours notice since they don't have to put you to sleep for that,,,,
I've got no complaints so far...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Joffen medical related issues you pay up the ass for in America are free here

Actually Johnny I think medical care is about on a balance on either side of the border- they have it better in some ways and we have it better in some ways, possibly the rich have it better down there and the poor have it better up here. But regardless, who in their right mind wants to be sick? Especially when the problem can be addressed with life style in many cases.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Thank you for your honesty. Now, how on earth are long wait times acceptable?

It's probably acceptable because people, like myself, rarely ever visit the ER. On a similar note, making people wait for non-life threatening issues sort of discourages abuse of the system.