A Global One Child Policy?

Should there be a Global Chinese style one child policy?

• No to a one child policy.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Yes to a one hild policy

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Originally Posted by TenPenny
What sort of a one-child policy do you mean? One where farmers are allowed to
have more than one kid, and rich people can ...............

The farmers are allowed to have " more than one kid" if the first child is not a boy .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
INice thoughts from the dude but thoughts don't feed people.
Do you think US, Canada, EU Australia, Brazil and Argentina wil let Africa develope to it's full agricultural capability? The only thing stopping Africans is moolah to acquire the tech.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
There really is no need for any world-wide population control. Current world population trends indicate that the fertility rate is declining steadily. In fact it is now below the level necessary to maintain world population where it is. All those who want a smaller population have to do is wait.

Most of the discussion in this thread seems to focus on the plight of the poor, but that is another issue dealing with more equitable distribution of wealth. Although rapid population growth in some nations has a direct affect on living standard it is no longer one that applies in a general sense in most of the developed world.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
There really is no need for any world-wide population control. Current world population trends indicate that the fertility rate is declining steadily. In fact it is now below the level necessary to maintain world population where it is. All those who want a smaller population have to do is wait.

Most of the discussion in this thread seems to focus on the plight of the poor, but that is another issue dealing with more equitable distribution of wealth. Although rapid population growth in some nations has a direct affect on living standard it is no longer one that applies in a general sense in most of the developed world.

Do you have a link to world population trends indicating replacement births aren't happening now? Or how long those of us who think the population should shrink will have to wait?

It is the poor who are starving, or undernourished, but if food prices go up because of all the factors that make the green revolution technologies really expensive, then the poor will become a larger portion of the population.

I posted this yesterday but beaker ignored it. I know you'll enjoy it.

Tanzanian President: Africa Can Feed the World - YouTube

I had a look at the video and responded to your post. have a look if you need. But for your benefit I think L Gilberts comment is on the mark.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ya think? Shortages due to distribution logistics, yes. In any case, there is enough food available to feed the planet's population regardless of your extremely localised and temporary "shortages".
For example: we have no lemons at the moment in our house, therefore there must be a global shortage of lemons, right?

A few years ago I did hear something about bananas going extinct in 20 years or so for some reason I can't recall. Maybe from some raving lunatic in Bedlam! :lol:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Do you have a link to world population trends indicating replacement births aren't happening now? Or how long those of us who think the population should shrink will have to wait?

It is the poor who are starving, or undernourished, but if food prices go up because of all the factors that make the green revolution technologies really expensive, then the poor will become a larger portion of the population.

I had a look at the video and responded to your post. have a look if you need. But for your benefit I think L Gilberts comment is on the mark.

Actually I do have a link. Several of them. But three will do. The first one is an article discussing the potential decline in the world's population. The second simply gives the current fertility rate. Please note in the second source that the replacement rate is high in many developing nations, but in the key nations China, India, the USA, Indonesia, and Brazil the fertility rate is much lower and continuing to drop. China, for example has more people than the first 50 or so nations combined. As a result the overall world birth rate is now below two as is shown in the third source. In fact the recent decline in fertility rates in most of the world will soon lead to another topic of conversation; what to do about declining populations.

World to face challenge of under-population as fertility rates decline | News | National Post

List of sovereign states and dependent territories by fertility rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
I believe in population control, but not in this way.

Education and free birth control instead of more food aid donations to areas of the world that continue to grow unchecked.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I believe in population control, but not in this way.

Education and free birth control instead of more food aid donations to areas of the world that continue to grow unchecked.

So, in other words, starve them into submission if they don't follow YOUR ways.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So, in other words, starve them into submission if they don't follow YOUR ways.

Personally I think the best answer is if lack of arable and fertile land is their problem, the way all around is to help them achieve it, if that is possible! :smile:

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Actually I do have a link. Several of them. But three will do. The first one is an article discussing the potential decline in the world's population. The second simply gives the current fertility rate. Please note in the second source that the replacement rate is high in many developing nations, but in the key nations China, India, the USA, Indonesia, and Brazil the fertility rate is much lower and continuing to drop. China, for example has more people than the first 50 or so nations combined. As a result the overall world birth rate is now below two as is shown in the third source. In fact the recent decline in fertility rates in most of the world will soon lead to another topic of conversation; what to do about declining populations.

World to face challenge of under-population as fertility rates decline | News | National Post

List of sovereign states and dependent territories by fertility rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Bar Sinister, this from the National Post link,

"At one extreme, if the world’s fertility rate were to fall to the same level as that of Shanghai, at around 0.8 per couple, then by the early 22nd century population would be falling so fast that it would be under a billion by 2150.

If it were closer to the European Union average of 1.5 then population would fall below 5 billion around 2140 and 3 billion by 2200. In contrast, maintaining the current rate of 2.5 would see it top 15 billion by 2100."

was a real surprise. I didn't think that the example of Shanghai would be as low as it is. There is a lot of "ifs" in an estimate of future population growth. I don't think it would take people long, if conditions were good, to move back up to a sustainable population and beyond. Having a policy now to curb growth until we get to that point would be a really good idea because that 15 Billion figure is going to really hurt the chances of getting close to anything like sustainability.

If filling in the blanks works, at a 2 child per couple replacement rate, we could still end up with 10 Billions around the turn of the century. I think if that happens, life and all the crutches we use to make it easier, is going to get very expensive.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Should there be a Chinese style one child policy?

Is there too many people on the planet stressing the environment, energy, water, air and food supplies?

Yay or nay and why ?

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]GENESIS 1:28: "Be fruitful and multiply"[/FONT]

Ridiculous. Humans are a plague on this planet. Not humans per se but 'civilized' humans. We are raping the planet and will be subject of our folly.
No, I'm an atheist but just look at the facts. It's all going to fall down.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Thanks Bar Sinister, this from the National Post link,

"At one extreme, if the world’s fertility rate were to fall to the same level as that of Shanghai, at around 0.8 per couple, then by the early 22nd century population would be falling so fast that it would be under a billion by 2150.

If it were closer to the European Union average of 1.5 then population would fall below 5 billion around 2140 and 3 billion by 2200. In contrast, maintaining the current rate of 2.5 would see it top 15 billion by 2100."

was a real surprise. I didn't think that the example of Shanghai would be as low as it is. There is a lot of "ifs" in an estimate of future population growth. I don't think it would take people long, if conditions were good, to move back up to a sustainable population and beyond. Having a policy now to curb growth until we get to that point would be a really good idea because that 15 Billion figure is going to really hurt the chances of getting close to anything like sustainability.

If filling in the blanks works, at a 2 child per couple replacement rate, we could still end up with 10 Billions around the turn of the century. I think if that happens, life and all the crutches we use to make it easier, is going to get very expensive.

There is a recognized phenomenon known as the demographic transition. Historically all technically advanced nations have passed through it. The graph below depicts the change from a nation with a high birth rate and high death rate to one with a low birth rate and low death rate. Nations in the early stages of the transition are countries like Afghanistan in which the death rate has been lowered through medical advances, but the birth rate remains high. Over time these nations should progress to lower birth rates as they continue to modernize. Eventually they should reach a situation like that of Canada where birth and death rates are almost balanced. However, this creates another problem; that of an aging population. This leads to fewer and fewer younger people to support more and more elderly people. The problem is solvable through immigration provided there are willing immigrants available. However, eventually still another problem arises; that of a large number of very elderly people. When this stage is reached there is a sudden die-off and a precipitous population decline. Nations like Japan are approaching this situation due to the reluctance of the Japanese to accept immigrants, however, eventually most nations will come up against this problem. At that point nations may have to choose policies encouraging their people to have more children. This, of course, means that there really is no simple answer to world population one way or the other.