A Global One Child Policy?

Should there be a Global Chinese style one child policy?

• No to a one child policy.

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Yes to a one hild policy

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
It's mainly a matter of choices and what makes us happy. Today we are more focused on material things and the family unit is suffering. Years ago big families often with very few resources was the norm and people were probably happier. We didn't hear of major massacres every second week. We were busier with activities directly necessary for living which probably kept us physically and mentally in better shape.

I think it is the exponential growth of the population that has taken us by surprise in the last sixty years. Up until then having a baseball team wasn't that big a deal, for everybody. The reason China has taken the step of going to a one child policy is that the realization of overpopulation has hit them first/hardest.

The Chinese education system went through a huge expansion and made the need for change an obvious thing. Overpopulation is relative to the availability of the basics of life. Our agriculture has produced far better than could have been imagined 60 years ago, but that progress has been made by using fossil fuels that we are now realizing we can't afford. A one child policy, whether official or voluntary would help to get us past the shortage of food that is going to be coming down the pipes at us over the next twenty years. More to the point a human right to a non-sectarian education should be our priority wrt population control.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Another ramification of that policy is in another generation or two the words "brother", "sister", "aunt", "uncle", "cousin" will be obsolete. I find that rather sad.

There isn't going to be a shortage of food. How many times do you need to be informed of this?

They are already starting to grow it on roofs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Another ramification of that policy is in another generation or two the words "brother", "sister", "aunt", "uncle", "cousin" will be obsolete. I find that rather sad.

They are already starting to grow it on roofs.
That is sad.

When the rest of the world gets out of the Iron Age, BBQ their plowing yak and modernizes, food will never be an issue again.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
There isn't going to be a shortage of food. How many times do you need to be informed of this?

There is already a shortage of food. There is also a shortage of good quality food. I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest anything but more serious trouble in the years ahead. So I guess I haven't been informed yet, but once would be enough if there is anything other than wishful thinking involved.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No there isn't. Why would there be trouble in the years ahead? Nobody will be able to modernize because of restrictions? The hypnotists are going to drop land use restriction in the name global warming when the CO2 reductions scams fail?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
12% of alleged AGW is from land use. If land is restricted from farming because of alleged hooey where will food stand?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There is already a shortage of food. There is also a shortage of good quality food. I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest anything but more serious trouble in the years ahead. So I guess I haven't been informed yet, but once would be enough if there is anything other than wishful thinking involved.

Any that there is is due to waste! Yeah, there is lots of poor quality food because a lot of the good quality - potato peels, bread crusts and the by products of refined flour, grains etc. end up in the garbage. Sooner or later a law is going to have to be passed against the production of processed food. When apple juice is made, what happens to the peels (which should be going to provide fibre)?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is enough food produced annualy to feed 1 1/2 of the population,. The only problem is distribution.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Nope, but thanks for asking.. On the other hand it is evident from a fairly minor search into world population conditions that there is a problem with insufficient food.

It is evident from a fairly minor search into world garbage that there is a surplus of food.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
12% of alleged AGW is from land use. If land is restricted from farming because of alleged hooey where will food stand?

Have you a reference to any suggestion that agricultural land use should be restricted because of global warming effects? I would be very interested in seeing that. Any that I have seen are more along the lines of cleaning up livestock operations so that less methane is produced.

On the other hand, because of the loss of cheap oil used in farm fuel, fertilizers, sprays, transportation, processing, more transportation etc etc. there is more of a need for farmers to allow the fields to recover through the use of green manure crops. Which would take land out of food production but allow it to produce better when cropped.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Should there be a Chinese style one child policy?

Is there too many people on the planet stressing the environment, energy, water, air and food supplies?

Yay or nay and why ?

How many children you have has little or nothing to do with how many resources you use. The countries using the most resources typically have the lowest birth rates. So no, capping family sizes is not going to help the resource issue.

Even in countries where populations are booming and starving at the same time, often the true issue is tyrannical governments not sharing the resources they possess. Adding more tyranny won't fix a damn thing.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
There is enough food produced annualy to feed 1 1/2 of the population,. The only problem is distribution.

Distribution is part of the problem, and as I said earlier the costs of fuel in transportation is going to cause shortages. The average production of grains, for example, has fallen behind usage on a year over year basis. And this is still making use of energy from fossil fuels even though the costs have started to get out of reach of many farmers.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Have you a reference to any suggestion that agricultural land use should be restricted because of global warming effects?
Why would it be allowed to expand? Haven't Brazil, Argetina, Colombia, Venzeula, Peru, Equador, Panama, Costa Rica or any other good damn places that tries to feed it's people by cutting down some trees been chastized over land use over the past 30 years and still hasslled today?