75 is good age to die?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
If it is against the law to pick your own checkout date then somebody else doing it is even more against the law. Considering all that when I look around at the age of the people that are in control of the world I'd be willing to allow that date to stand and make it 65 if it included all of them. Not killed, just not at the top of the list for who gets the best medical service. Sorry to say it but at 70 a new set of knees would look better on somebody that is in the 15-25 age bracket. The older ones get meds and a big screen and broadband, not some, across the board, if they want to be useful above that they can do volenteer work at the day-care centers.

"Sorry to say it but at 70 a new set of knees would look better on somebody that is in the 15-25 age bracket."

Such compelling criteria.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Actually family farms these days are not one family but in the case of the one I sold to 3 families. Two sons and the patriarch & his wife.

So my sale supports 3 families and mainly because one son became very allergic to the dust in a milking barn and they needed to branch out into crops more.

Furthermore, when one is in dairy farming as we were, there were two milkings a day and no exceptions. Each milking taking up to 4 hours. In the summertime, cleaning the stable and taking out the manure lessened the time down by two hours.

Now you figure out how many hours went into plowing for crops in the fall, working the land in the spring, then planting, and finally taking off the crops that fed that herd over the winter and tell me how many other people even back in the 50's worked those type of hours.
In short everybody in the agriculture industry. Winters were repair time and tractors were still in use almost daily.

As far as debt goes, none of the young want to go into debt.

We did, over 50,000.00. Back then when the average salary was about 3000 dollars a year,so don't even go there!!

You have no clue what it took. My husband built kitchen cupboards in his spare time in winter (about two hours a day). I made all the families clothes as well. Even work trousers, white shirts for church and the kids snowsuits. Even then the kids didn't get new overshoes for the snow until it actually fell.
I do know, my background has homesteader written all over it. After the 1918 flue and 2 world wars that sort of life was consider quite peaceful. The family ran the farm, at 4 you were pulling weeds and feeding chickens, at 10 you were pumping the bellows for the forge to heat the water to boil the pig. Death coming via a hard whack between the eyes with the blunt end of an exe. Same water when chicken harvest came along, only the other end of the axe was used. By 4 I could tell if the stooks were ready fir harvest. That is how the family farm runs. Survival was a 20 hour a day job, even with cash coming in from the outside. What I'm going to point out is that it was that way by design and the ones who designed it are the ones you had to take a loan out with.
This is also going to call you out on levels of opportunity available now and back then, try not to get offended as the post is more about why your hardships were a lot worse than they should have been, and those were the 'good years' and (this is where I get somewhat pissed) that the only reason anybody below that success level is there because they just weren't as determined as you were so fuk them when it comes to getting ahead if they can't do it on their own but it better not cut into the piece of the pie that you decided belongs to you. Like I said it is the math that is under the scope, not that you made money. Lots of people made money by holding onto what was considered to be useless land along creeks and rivers now they are the most expensive land in the area as that is where the rich build their private acreages. 1 lot is worth what a whole 160 acres of crop land is worth and there are many lots in 1/2 mike

Now I m sure we were not the only farmers that ever felt we were doing right. Every individual sets their life's goal and if they are lucky have a spouse with the same goal. It took us all our working lives to do so. My husband retired and had exactly two years before he died. I do not intend to forego all the modern improvements to health to turn it over to those who had no hand in earning it.
I'm not saying you should, but if the ones coming up and replacing you (and another 10 million in the same age group = or - 5 years (the national unemployment rate of 5% is also importanat as that detremines the number of Hobo's that will be coming around.

No matter how hard you try, you will not diminish our achievements, nor the pride I have in them. My three children went to college and in the case of one secretarial school, my grandchildren both went to college. They both worked part time as well as having help from parents, just as mine did.
That's fine and that is why the farm was sold, it could be run as a business if all the industrial and work codes were enforced, for the sake of argument lets say the farmer doesn't even go to work, he wakes up at work so he has long days but here he gets $20/hr plus overtime, it would be 40 but not all his tasks are journeymen related.

The farm was purchased in 1950 for $50k : DollarTimes.com | Inflation Calculator

$50,000.00 in 1950 had the same buying power as $493,747.88 in 2014.Annual inflation over this period was 3.64%.

Round that off to $500k and that is the size of the loan you would need today to start the same business, that could even be a suggestive value of the land rather than it's increase been above or below a norm. Looks like your 'partners' the bankers made more than the 'owners'. Now transfer the new payment schedule and how would anybody be able to follow those footsteps, against this isn't a condemnation that loans were available to you (your generation)
$50k @ 5% over 40 years is $241.10 total interest $65,727.18 (the monthly rate sheet at link)
Mortgage Calculator from Bankrate.com - Calculate Payments with Ease

$500k @ 5% over 40 years is $2,410.98 total interest $657,271.84

The tax rate you paid would also be lower. You sold it to a family, that is defined by parents and children. Each child would be able to acquire 1/4 and start his own farm, preferably bordering his parents land. That gives him his own tax forms and line of credit that is apart from all the other 1'4 involved in the 'family farm'. You say you sold it to 3 families, by my math it took so many people to run your farm and when you sold it the new owners didn't keep that many employed as their own business was able to work the land without needing to hire any new hands, 200 gallon more of fuel a year and a bit of seed. The 3 farms could do business with each other where one farm grows the silage crop that is sold (at market value) to the dairy farm next door and that shows up on the tax forms every year. So would many other items, what wouldn't show up is the 100's of hours the 'family' spends in consultation with each other every season where a company would have to be paying or recieving money for such activities. Having your journeyman son come over and fix your equipment is fine and bills and receipts shoul change habits as expenses would be acquired just by the parts being purchased, installation is always extra. The 100,s of hours spend dong things for the family that aren't billed makes it a family farm no matter how many different decals are on the truck doors. By rights your extra work could have been included as a farming expense at the end of the year so it was a deduction also rather than being taxable income. There isn't anything wrong with any of that, the part that is wrong is interest is worth more than the business and that would probably even be after including all your hard work as $65k of your wages just went up in usury smoke. Instead of paying $250/mo you should have been paying $125 and banks would still have gotten paid back and made money as your business supported other businesses.

If you sale was for $500k then the new owners are going to be making silage that sells cost plus 20% until the loan is paid off so about $3,000/mo and no equipment purchases. With a new source of silage available the dairy side can build the new barn that cost about $10M in Holland and when installed it is run by a very small crew that get specialized training before being hired to be the herdsman. The cleaning out of the lagoons would be spread in all the fields but that could even be a 3rd company. For all the 'hardships of farming they all drive new trucks and eat as much as they want 3 time a day so I won't be shedding any tears over the rough parts.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
Furthermore, when one is in dairy farming as we were, there were two milkings a day and no exceptions. Each milking taking up to 4 hours. In the summertime, cleaning the stable and taking out the manure lessened the time down by two hours.

In short everybody in the agriculture industry. Winters were repair time and tractors were still in use almost daily.

As far as debt goes, none of the young want to go into debt.

We did, over 50,000.00. Back then when the average salary was about 3000 dollars a year,so don't even go there!!

I do know, my background has homesteader written all over it. After the 1918 flue and 2 world wars that sort of life was consider quite peaceful. The family ran the farm, at 4 you were pulling weeds and feeding chickens, at 10 you were pumping the bellows for the forge to heat the water to boil the pig. Death coming via a hard whack between the eyes with the blunt end of an exe. Same water when chicken harvest came along, only the other end of the axe was used. By 4 I could tell if the stooks were ready fir harvest. That is how the family farm runs. Survival was a 20 hour a day job, even with cash coming in from the outside. What I'm going to point out is that it was that way by design and the ones who designed it are the ones you had to take a loan out with.
This is also going to call you out on levels of opportunity available now and back then, try not to get offended as the post is more about why your hardships were a lot worse than they should have been, and those were the 'good years' and (this is where I get somewhat pissed) that the only reason anybody below that success level is there because they just weren't as determined as you were so fuk them when it comes to getting ahead if they can't do it on their own but it better not cut into the piece of the pie that you decided belongs to you. Like I said it is the math that is under the scope, not that you made money. Lots of people made money by holding onto what was considered to be useless land along creeks and rivers now they are the most expensive land in the area as that is where the rich build their private acreages. 1 lot is worth what a whole 160 acres of crop land is worth and there are many lots in 1/2 mike

I'm not saying you should, but if the ones coming up and replacing you (and another 10 million in the same age group = or - 5 years (the national unemployment rate of 5% is also importanat as that detremines the number of Hobo's that will be coming around.

That's fine and that is why the farm was sold, it could be run as a business if all the industrial and work codes were enforced, for the sake of argument lets say the farmer doesn't even go to work, he wakes up at work so he has long days but here he gets $20/hr plus overtime, it would be 40 but not all his tasks are journeymen related.

The farm was purchased in 1950 for $50k : DollarTimes.com | Inflation Calculator

$50,000.00 in 1950 had the same buying power as $493,747.88 in 2014.Annual inflation over this period was 3.64%.

Round that off to $500k and that is the size of the loan you would need today to start the same business, that could even be a suggestive value of the land rather than it's increase been above or below a norm. Looks like your 'partners' the bankers made more than the 'owners'. Now transfer the new payment schedule and how would anybody be able to follow those footsteps, against this isn't a condemnation that loans were available to you (your generation)
$50k @ 5% over 40 years is $241.10 total interest $65,727.18 (the monthly rate sheet at link)

$500k @ 5% over 40 years is $2,410.98 total interest $657,271.84

The tax rate you paid would also be lower. You sold it to a family, that is defined by parents and children. Each child would be able to acquire 1/4 and start his own farm, preferably bordering his parents land. That gives him his own tax forms and line of credit that is apart from all the other 1'4 involved in the 'family farm'. You say you sold it to 3 families, by my math it took so many people to run your farm and when you sold it the new owners didn't keep that many employed as their own business was able to work the land without needing to hire any new hands, 200 gallon more of fuel a year and a bit of seed. The 3 farms could do business with each other where one farm grows the silage crop that is sold (at market value) to the dairy farm next door and that shows up on the tax forms every year. So would many other items, what wouldn't show up is the 100's of hours the 'family' spends in consultation with each other every season where a company would have to be paying or recieving money for such activities. Having your journeyman son come over and fix your equipment is fine and bills and receipts shoul change habits as expenses would be acquired just by the parts being purchased, installation is always extra. The 100,s of hours spend dong things for the family that aren't billed makes it a family farm no matter how many different decals are on the truck doors. By rights your extra work could have been included as a farming expense at the end of the year so it was a deduction also rather than being taxable income. There isn't anything wrong with any of that, the part that is wrong is interest is worth more than the business and that would probably even be after including all your hard work as $65k of your wages just went up in usury smoke. Instead of paying $250/mo you should have been paying $125 and banks would still have gotten paid back and made money as your business supported other businesses.

If you sale was for $500k then the new owners are going to be making silage that sells cost plus 20% until the loan is paid off so about $3,000/mo and no equipment purchases. With a new source of silage available the dairy side can build the new barn that cost about $10M in Holland and when installed it is run by a very small crew that get specialized training before being hired to be the herdsman. The cleaning out of the lagoons would be spread in all the fields but that could even be a 3rd company. For all the 'hardships of farming they all drive new trucks and eat as much as they want 3 time a day so I won't be shedding any tears over the rough parts.

I am not sure where you are going with all this......No child in the area we farmed (Chateauguay Valley)ever pulled weeds at 4. Goodness, they wouldn't have been able to tell a weed from a plant. They were teenagers before they could do the milking on their own. They had chores, of course.....but nothing like you describe.

Financing in this area was and is done through the farm credit bureau, not the banks. To qualify for a loan, and a new farmer, you must present your diploma, (or in the case of a student, most recent marks), submit plans etc. just like any other business. I do not know the interest rates these days, but when we bought ours the rate was 2% for 30 years. The income for milk, cash crops, ie, corn, peas, beans, etc is much higher and crop insurance is available and reasonable. They will advise you and perhaps suggest revisions in your plan. They do not lend money where there is no hope of success. Obviously the applicant must be serious and qualified.

One more thing, very few farms these days grow their own food. Very hard to live on corn or soy beans meant for manufacturing or animals. We had a great supply of milk and a few years I kept chickens and I even canned my garden produce......but there were some years like ,everyone else we lived from pay check to pay check. Even when a cow was sent to market, it was not prime eating beef.....and probably ended up as dog food.

Why compare Holland to Canada?. Believe me the way they must farm there bears no resemblance to Canada's. Quite a number of those farms are very involved in tourism.

According to the survey by the World Economic Forum, Canada has the world’s best banking system. It is followed by Sweden, Luxembourg and Australia. Canada received 6.8 out of total 7 points and topped the list.

Read more: The Best Banking Systems in the World - Financial Web

Our banks do not lend money to those who have no chance of repaying it. There is a system set up by the banks themselves to bail out or assist banks in trouble.

PS.....Mostly it was the family that worked the farm. So this business of splitting the farm into 3 units does not fly. When the children were small, only one....my husband.

Well that is it ....time for lunch and then the flea market......Enjoy the day

Last edited: