75 is good age to die?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hey,,,,I have had knee replacements, cataract operations. I am somewhat over 70 and feel I have paid enough taxes over time to pay for my operations and at least 10 other people's. I have had over 10 years use out of those knees and certainly very happy with being able to do without glasses for the first time since first grade. Certainly cheaper for the government than supporting me in a nursing home because I am able to walk without pain and see where I am going.

If I had any say in the matter you'd be around for a couple of months yet.:)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Whatayamean still around? Me too, #Juan is my inspiration, do you know the man is in his late ninties.

Just what I said... I am glad he's still around for us. :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
If it is against the law to pick your own checkout date then somebody else doing it is even more against the law. Considering all that when I look around at the age of the people that are in control of the world I'd be willing to allow that date to stand and make it 65 if it included all of them. Not killed, just not at the top of the list for who gets the best medical service. Sorry to say it but at 70 a new set of knees would look better on somebody that is in the 15-25 age bracket. The older ones get meds and a big screen and broadband, not some, across the board, if they want to be useful above that they can do volenteer work at the day-care centers.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm betting they didn't us a lot of artificial means to get there. My farther and Grandfather both died two weeks before they were 76. Dad was ready for it as he never did get used to not being able to be outside doing things (weak legs rather than wealk mind)

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
MHz....What a weird comment......a 15 year old with a knee replacement because it would look better??? Whoa, why would a young person want a 4 inch scar on her knee if her knee worked well. Big screen, broadband?? Good grief, why do you think our young people are sometimes in worse condition than some of our 60 and 70 year olds?? And how does a person do volunteer work if walking and standing are painful........The main reason why young people don't have more knee replacements, is because they do not need them.

JLM
Hey....I am always nice. I have strong convictions, but I rarely belittle or curse people, unlike some I have had the audacious effrontery to disagree with.

I'm betting they didn't us a lot of artificial means to get there. My farther and Grandfather both died two weeks before they were 76. Dad was ready for it as he never did get used to not being able to be outside doing things (weak legs rather than wealk mind)
Well unlike your grandfather, I can still do my own gardening and housework mostly because I have had part replacements. I recommend them heartily. . Perhaps it is just as well you think as you do, because with that outlook, I suspect you have already set your best "use by date"

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM
Hey....I am always nice. I have strong convictions, but I rarely belittle or curse people, unlike some I have had the audacious effrontery to disagree with.

I hear you, I have a few strong convictions myself and I try to always be nice, but regardless, I generally behave according to how I am treated. Unfortunately, some people just have "an axe to grind".:)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
MHz....What a weird comment......a 15 year old with a knee replacement because it would look better???
Are you sure age isn't affecting your ability to grasp the meaning of some sentences. I don't have an axe to grind as some have suggested but I don't think you caught anything I was saying.
Given the total amount of money fixing up old people so they can do gardening is great, at the same time that should only be done if all the treatment for the younger people that can contribute more to society than doing a bit of hobby gardening.

Whoa, why would a young person want a 4 inch scar on her knee if her knee worked well.
How about if we change it to the 'cost' be transferred or it can be applied to those who were injured in accidents rather than the parts just wore out from use. I'm not even referencing you as anything more than one member of one group. It's fine they fixed you up enough that you can do gardening, whey wasn't done is to retire all the old people rather than let some run things as long as they can keep their body functioning.

Big screen, broadband??
Instead of the repair to the body, forget your comfort, would that satisfy the requirements of society. Perhaps the billions fixing up the old should be thrown at educating the young. While you may have gotten the repairs you needed that doesn't work for everybody that gets old. Old and privileged, doesn't sound like any kind of hardship at all, nor does it reflect the majority of the 'old' in terms of what aid are available.

Good grief, why do you think our young people are sometimes in worse condition than some of our 60 and 70 year olds??
How about the old refuse to retire early to make room for a younger generation and then bitch and whine that the younger generation us lazy and slack about working for a living. This is good, helps me fill in a few blanks about you, I don't have any blanks in those areas when it comes to the attitudes of the usual suspects.

And how does a person do volunteer work if walking and standing are painful........The main reason why young people don't have more knee replacements, is because they do not need them.
Not everybody at 65 is in that shape, if you are then you get a chair and a tv and you need your own mind to push the buttons after that. Most old people draw blanks in that area, that is what the children would fix, you mistook who was going to be more useful to whom. Gives kids some old people as 'pets' and when they are running things in their 20's and 30's they already have compassion under their thinking cap. You really seem to have all the standard answers, not really a complement at this point.

Well unlike your grandfather, I can still do my own gardening and housework mostly because I have had part replacements.
I'm sure if stents for those failed arteries were available he would have opted for them. They will would have been hobby legs rather than working legs. As it was, with the limitation that means he had a small shop instead of a big one. That doesn't mean he didn't spend most of his time in the 'resting position' and in this day and age he would have liked the net better than cable tv. It still works out that as you get older and your body starts falling apart that the fear of dearth that a person has diminishes so that it is not feared as much.

I recommend them heartily. .
I like to think you would have found something that keeps you as happy if they hadn't come along, that would be a challenge would it not?

Perhaps it is just as well you think as you do, because with that outlook, I suspect you have already set your best "use by date"
I can live with a body that has reduced functionality. Having a mind that isn't functioning properly is not something I would want to happen even for a little time.

Are you 25 now? It'll be a miracle to see a bullet train in the US within 50 years.
The biggest issue would be picking the places as none qualify. Vancouver to Chili should be one of the first lines but then we have to view South America as being full of useful people rather than some hayseeds seeting on treasures that should belong to us. Want to bet one between Russia and China is already on the drawing board?

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
I hear you, I have a few strong convictions myself and I try to always be nice, but regardless, I generally behave according to how I am treated. Unfortunately, some people just have "an axe to grind".:)
LOL Too bad the axe was rusted out before they started to grind.....kind of sad.

But always pompous about it.............
Not pompous, merely assertive... Have you noticed how that gets under some skins??

MHz I am not going to go line by line to answer.

Well, I certainly don't feel guilty about my comfort and well being..... I have earned that much in my lifetime and a great deal more. Most of the older generation has. That is why our bodies are wearing out. However, our hearts are generally still strong. Many are pretty darn smart as well.

Has it occurred to you that perhaps giving everything to the young does little to prepare them for when it is time to stand on their own feet? Should they be rioting because they don't get free University education? Should they be demanding or expecting vacations to exotic places in summer from learning? How long were you able to stay in school without earning something towards your education??

Having a job that satisfies is nearly as good as having a spouse that does. It takes some maturity and effort to find such an occupation and that does not come to those who are given everything on a plate. So, it is fine with me, if some think they should exit at either 65 or 75, just don't make it obligatory.

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I had a dream once, quite vivid.. enough so that i got up a noted it down, that gave me the date of my death to the day.. at 81. That's fine.. hope i make it there... mind and body somewhat in tact.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I had a dream once, quite vivid.. enough so that i got up a noted it down, that gave me the date of my death to the day.. at 81. That's fine.. hope i make it there... mind and body somewhat in tact.

It could be bullsh*t, write it down in some obscure place for posterity and then forget about it until age 82.