Under a Lone Palm

Here's your god.
Atheists have simply spit it out.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Canadian's have to many secular liberals vs. religious conservatives.. that is why things like Gay Marriage is more widely accepted and the lack of God, the erosion of family unit are so widespread.

...and folks wonder why the new immigrants and minorities are not reproducing as much.. they are poking it in the wrong hole.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Canadian's have to many secular liberals vs. religious conservatives.. that is why things like Gay Marriage is more widely accepted and the lack of God, the erosion of family unit are so widespread.

...and folks wonder why the new immigrants and minorities are not reproducing as much.. they are poking it in the wrong hole.

Hate and bigotry is just another reason to turn away from religion as you personify.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I have a hell of a lot more respect for those who act morally without choosing to do so only because of threats of retribution from imagined gods.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I have a hell of a lot more respect for those who act morally without choosing to do so only because of threats of retribution from imagined gods.

About 80 years ago the Humanist Manifesto was offered as an alternative to religion and its evil ways:

Humanist Manifesto I

While some adopted its teachings, this ideology's influence quickly declined and is now forgotten.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
About 80 years ago the Humanist Manifesto was offered as an alternative to religion and its evil ways:

Humanist Manifesto I

While some adopted its teachings, this ideology's influence quickly declined and is now forgotten.
No wonder. It starts off pedantic and pompous, then rises to simply unreadable.

I am rather surprised that self-righteous lefties aren't getting the whole thing tattooed on themselves though. They LOVE pedantic, pompous, and unreadable.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
No wonder. It starts off pedantic and pompous, then rises to simply unreadable.

I am rather surprised that self-righteous lefties aren't getting the whole thing tattooed on themselves though. They LOVE pedantic, pompous, and unreadable.

That's why they dropped it from their agenda as I explained above.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Of course One third of Canadians say it is which is a very depressing thought...........

Worldwide, Many See Belief in God as Essential to Morality | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project

Personally I don't see a connection between religion and morality. I'd say you are a moral person if you are not harming anyone else and you are not f**king up the planet. Religion is a more nebulous thing as you can't really put a finger on the object of it. One is action the other is belief!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Having a belief system does not guarantee morality either. There are many who
sit in the front row at church that are in real life little more than vipers. they are
the ones referred to as wolves in sheep's clothing. Morality does not come from
a book it comes from what is in you. Your makeup and the ideas of how you view
the world. A belief system my help you but it isn't required. If you don't do this
you can't go to heaven. So. I am afraid they have created an imaginary world
for good people and a desperate world for bad people. Who decides good and
bad? The belief system. Now to be serious there are some givens. Child molesters,
for one are for the most part people of a belief system they prowl the churches
as their favorites victims in many cases
murderers, rapists loan sharks, pimps, gangsters sorry but most of them believe
in God and the afterlife. To suggest someone who doesn't believe is less moral
is simply nonsense. People believers or not are either moral or they aren't

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
sit in the front row at church that are in real life little more than vipers. they are
a book it comes from what is in you.

I've heard it said that "sitting in a church doesn't make you religious anymore than sitting in a garage makes you a car".:)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Amen to that brother I hear ya yes I do but then God needs money and money
will come if ya pray hard enough god gets his money and you can get some too,

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
a book it comes from what is in you.

So where do you think that morality came from “Don't kill,” “Don't steal,” “Honor your parents,” and so on.

Could always go back to the Roman days where people are being fed to the lions, beheadings, homosexuality, blood lust... never mind we are back there, and it only took 40 years of Liberalism.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Religion is neither necessary nor sufficient for morality, however as it appears by this thread, atheism is anything but tolerant towards religion, not very moral, is it?

And as Christian terrorists did to each other in the Hutu-Tutsi conflicts that killed over one million of each tribe.

You're delusional, the Rwandan Genocide was not religious in nature.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Religion is neither necessary nor sufficient for morality, however as it appears by this thread, atheism is anything but tolerant towards religion, not very moral, is it?
What's immoral about being intolerant of religion?

Depends on what you mean by "religious." If you mean "differing versions of the fairy tale/revenge fantasy the two groups hold" you're probably correct. If you mean "deeply held and utterly irrational beliefs people are willing to kill rather than question or allow to be questioned" it was indeed religious. The religion being "We are the righteous, and they are scum."

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Since the main Christian religions and the same (Christian) Nations one should conclude that they are in cahoots with each other and the idea that they protect people from each other doesn't stand up to the smell test very long. Canada proves that point all by our self and we are anything but a rebel when it comes to choosing who our friends are.

What's immoral about being intolerant of religion?
The problem might be that you are too tolerant of immoral religions, such as the clowns that were put in charge of the Residential School Rehab. Which is worse, the *** raping Clergy or the Government that does nothing to stop it? They are in fact the schools best customers.

So where do you think that morality came from “Don't kill,” “Don't steal,” “Honor your parents,” and so on.

Could always go back to the Roman days where people are being fed to the lions, beheadings, homosexuality, blood lust... never mind we are back there, and it only took 40 years of Liberalism.
They are only words until they are actually put into practice. When you are waging war you don't have time or the energy to feed the poor of the world. When that isn't your prime goal the God is going to classify it as a failed society. We judge ourselves by how much luxury a few can have, a moral society judges itself by how few people qualify as being 'poor'. (you do know that it is only the ones already living a life of luxury that feels that way right?)
The time before the flood is supposed to be the worst days of the past, Rome was relatively civilized. Define 'blood lust' as something more than being a 'drama' word. According to my guide book Rome did indeed kill some Christian leaders, 2 or 3. The Temple staff in Jerusalem killed a lot more Christian than that, might want to update your database.

Depends on what you mean by "religious." If you mean "differing versions of the fairy tale/revenge fantasy the two groups hold" you're probably correct. If you mean "deeply held and utterly irrational beliefs people are willing to kill rather than question or allow to be questioned" it was indeed religious. The religion being "We are the righteous, and they are scum."
You are describing American Christians, they are more than a little different than the Christians before the falling away from the truth happened. Part of that curse is not being able to see that possibility.

Want to borrow my bore-hole map of the area?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You are describing American Christians, they are more than a little different than the Christians before the falling away from the truth happened. Part of that curse is not being able to see that possibility.
No, I'm describing the Hutus and the Tutsis. You probably missed that because you're crazier'n a sh*thouse rat.