5 Canadians Killed In Afghanistan

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cliffy...I'm "video-challenged" out here in the boonies...dial-up! A quick question, if you don't mind - Is the video about a Cdn. war vet?
It is an American Iraq war vet, but what he has to say about war is universal. I will try to find a Canadian vet who has a conscience and is brave enough to say it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I found this web site - Candains against war.

An excerpt from the home page:
The crisis faced by combat veterans returning from war is not simply a profound struggle with trauma and alienation. It is often, for those who can slice through the suffering to self-awareness, an existential crisis. War exposes the lies we tell ourselves about ourselves. It rips open the hypocrisy of our religions and secular institutions. Those who return from war have learned something which is often incomprehensible to those who have stayed home. We are not a virtuous nation. God and fate have not blessed us above others. Victory is not assured. War is neither glorious nor noble. And we carry within us the capacity for evil we ascribe to those we fight.
Those who return to speak this truth, such as members of Iraq Veterans Against the War, are our contemporary prophets. But like all prophets they are condemned and ignored for their courage. They struggle, in a culture awash in lies, to tell what few have the fortitude to digest.

Canadians Against War

jsiooa

Time Out
Aug 5, 2009
So let me ask you a question,if you knew your nieghbour beat his wife every night and could hear it yourself,would you intervene or just ignore it?

we aren't in Afghanistan because we care about the people and want to help them.

jsiooa

Time Out
Aug 5, 2009
When it comes to War and other such things the Soldiers follow orders - If you disagree with this hold the Govt to account but to insult the soldiers is only done by people that are less than hal wits and have no idea of what and how the givt works - the Military falls under the command of the Govt in power - They do not decide to go off on there own - also please note - when a soldier has been informed that he is going to the Stan - he has to follow orders or a Courts martial will be the result. And the result would be Jail.
No they are not robots -

You pal Goober.

PS - look up Article 5 of the NATO treaty as those of you that wonder about our responsibilites are always in horror when the Govt ignores a treaty - Or do you pick and choose which ones you will adhere to after signing -

JBeee - i am not allowed to say what i really think of you or what I would like to do about it.

don't tell me they aren't robots. it's exactly what they are. most of them are retarded and failed high school and have nothing better to do . they join because they want to blow **** up. they're trained to follow unthinkingly into moronic wars and really have no thoughts of their own or opinions. they're barely human and it's disgraceful. there are exceptions of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We are in a catch 22, first we went to help build roads, hospitals and schools, water and sewer systems etc. With the changing fortunes of government, and the fact that
we didn't join the missile defence shield, that has gone nowhere, we were obliged to
assist our neighbours to the south in something. Combat roles are not good for this
country as we are respected for keeping the peace. On the other hand, we are faced with one of the most sinister and evil organizations in the world, the Taliban and their
allies. If we don't control this mob of blood thirsty bas..... we'll be sending a lot more
people to die on a much bigger front not to mention we have some of them living
amongst us. Political correctness may have its place, but not when the political and
religious leaders of a particular group want nothing better than a chance to kill us.
In order to control the fanatics and crazy people, we are obliged to prop up one of
the most corrupt governments on the face of the earth. Afghanistan is more corrupt
and more violent than Iraq ever was and as the saying goes when it came to Iraq
and Afghanistan, we butchered the wrong hog.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
you just googled what i typed and found it what i said was correct and like a half-wit, assumed i copied it.

If you're talking to me ... I didn't have to Google a thing - but thanks for the accusation all the same. Rhetoric is rhetoric. It's completely unoriginal ... and that's no assumption.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
don't tell me they aren't robots. it's exactly what they are. most of them are retarded and failed high school and have nothing better to do . they join because they want to blow **** up. they're trained to follow unthinkingly into moronic wars and really have no thoughts of their own or opinions. they're barely human and it's disgraceful. there are exceptions of course.

I know people who serve in the military. Most don't fit your generalization. Some people genuinely want to serve their country. Some come from small towns where work is scarce. Some have families to support. Others its a family tradition. Many reasons exist.

Judge for yourself:
Gallery: Remembering Herald reporter Michelle Lang

Award-winning Calgary Herald reporter Michelle Lang was killed Wednesday in Afghanistan while reporting on the Canadian mission in the southern regions of the war-torn country. A look at some photos from the paper and her recent work in Afghanistan.

Gallery: Remembering Herald reporter Michelle Lang

Such a bright future. What a tragedy for her finance, family, friends... So sad. I agree with Cliffy's video link. Its a speech by an Iraqi war veteran which summarizes the Iraq war. Here is a comment regarding that video:

WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!! You are fighting b/c they want u to fight. Dont u think this "Tyrant/Victim" mentality is PLAYED THE **** OUT already?????????????????? Hatred breeds hatred. but down your weapons, listen to your hearts. If there are no soldiers there is no war. the end. its simple. dont mke it complicated b/c u chose to support a system of lies, then wonder why we have all the problems we have in this world. ITS YOU WHO MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. Stop hating & stop blaming. ~PEACE

Reactions: CDNBear

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is not a war of conversion anymore its a war of containment, it doesn't matter if we are helping the people, it matters we don't let the Taliban and friends gain yet
another foot hold to bring more problems for the west. I we allow these people to
gain more strength we create a larger theatre of war down the road. The time to
do something is now. I don't hate anyone I just realize we are playing chicken in
a game of them or us, and quite frankly I would prefer it to be them.
Sooner or later the world is going to divide on religious lines and we better be
prepared. It will be Muslims against everyone else, Christians, Jews, Non Believers,
and everyone else because we are going to confront tribal stone age gang and put
an end to this. When? I think we will be at each others throats within the decade.

Reactions: CDNBear

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
R.I.P.

The insanity continues....

...while Harper pulls another turtleneck over his head and runs for cover until March. Perogies anyone?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Of course our government can take the time off, after all there are no problems in
Canada everyone knows that. The rug is getting lumpy though from things being
swept under it.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
.....It is respectful to remember the fallen Canadian men and women in Afghanistan or any war.
The sad part here is that these men and women that have perished in the Afghan mission have perished for a cause worthy to humanity. However the Afghan Governments is on record being tainted with heavy corruption especially when we look at these confirmed reports on how corrupt the Hamid Karzai puppet regime really is.
Looking at that elements of this war, the men and women who perished did so for the cause to help the women and children from being badly and brutally abused who faced death by stones and other atrocities.
That is to be respected.
However, I feel that the Afghan war has to come to an end, being that the corruption level with in the Karzai government exceeds the good taking place.
The Americans installed the Karzai regime in 2002 to fight the Taliban and Karzai is playing with both players the Taliban behind closed doors and the US WAS FEEDING HIM MONEY for a job that will never finish.
Although I sympathize with the vulnerable people of Afghanistan, I look here at home and the homeless issue is gut ranching, to see mothers banging heroin in the lanes of some Vancouver streets.
Who will take care of them?
And taking care of them we would not put young men and women on the line for a fraudulent cause like Afghanistan.

But miss prioritisation is a problem in society today.

The result has been what US intelligence agencies described last year as “rampant corruption”. David Davis, a conservative British politician, observed after a fact-finding tour to Afghanistan that the country “appears to have been run for the financial benefit of 20 families... who are old-time warlords and faction leaders responsible for past atrocities”.

Corrupt election campaign unfolds in US-occupied Afghanistan

Last edited:

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
No, it will really not be necessary to show those kinds of pictures. They are not allowed here.
Not my problem if you cant handle the truth or cold hard facts.
If your going to slam and libel our vets then you best be ready to see me fight for them.
Maybe the truth is too much for you and will throw a wrench into your little hate fest?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

Wow,guess you lost any shred of credibility you may have think you had.
You can allways leave this great country if you have no respect for the peeps who fight and died to make it this way.
Honestly,if your hatred consumes you so much then dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Canada wasnt built and didnt become a great country because of losers like you that enjoy the lifestyle we have because of the sacrifices made by those before us.
You obviously dont like our country so do us a favour and leave,let us know how life in Afghanistan turns out for you.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's JBeee's thread. Must all threads follow convention? Especially those same conventions that make war palatable to the victims. If our dead make us approve of this evil Afghan war will that in some way repair their lives, no it won't, but it will make it easier to give up the next sacrifices.
I can't believe I'm about to say this to you DB, but well put. ;-)

We are losing our good Canadian men and women
Thank you for that moment of reason Jbee.

I found this web site - Candains against war.

An excerpt from the home page:
The crisis faced by combat veterans returning from war is not simply a profound struggle with trauma and alienation. It is often, for those who can slice through the suffering to self-awareness, an existential crisis. War exposes the lies we tell ourselves about ourselves. It rips open the hypocrisy of our religions and secular institutions. Those who return from war have learned something which is often incomprehensible to those who have stayed home. We are not a virtuous nation. God and fate have not blessed us above others. Victory is not assured. War is neither glorious nor noble. And we carry within us the capacity for evil we ascribe to those we fight.
Those who return to speak this truth, such as members of Iraq Veterans Against the War, are our contemporary prophets. But like all prophets they are condemned and ignored for their courage. They struggle, in a culture awash in lies, to tell what few have the fortitude to digest.

Canadians Against War

don't tell me they aren't robots. it's exactly what they are. most of them are retarded and failed high school and have nothing better to do . they join because they want to blow **** up. they're trained to follow unthinkingly into moronic wars and really have no thoughts of their own or opinions. they're barely human and it's disgraceful. there are exceptions of course...

...can't respect a bunch of robotic half-wits who unthinkingly obey their master and go into a meaningless war without question.

I can't really add much more then what EAO has to say to you...

I know people who serve in the military. Most don't fit your generalization. Some people genuinely want to serve their country. Some come from small towns where work is scarce. Some have families to support. Others its a family tradition. Many reasons exist.
Well put EAO.