39,000 jobs lost in Canada.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Psychologically, I think we are closer then you would think. My guess.

I'm looking at it from a economic stand point. The difference would be

If everyone has 20 job offer
If there was 20 people applying for one job.

Working hard is all fine and all but is beside my point.
If there is one job for 20 people. Only one gets the opportunity to work hard to keep that job.
And he can be replaced by 20 oaths if need be.
If there is 20 jobs per one person. Every person gets the chance to work hard to keep there job
And if they not happy at it, they have 19 other jobs waiting for them.

So baby boomers working hard is besides the pointe.

I think that you are over exaggerating on the # of people vs the # of available jobs... I can't speak for Ontario (where I believe you are) but in AB, companies like Suncor are still flying in Newfies every couple weeks as there are not enough people here willing to take the jobs in areas outside the major cities.

In part, this comes down to another issue of the present generation being too finicky about what job they will 'accept' as opposed to working into new positions as the experiential factor gets stronger.

Seems to me that there is a demand for immediate gratification in the 20-somethings today that is unrealistic when it comes to expected career paths and compensation.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
. however here's the thing, people are not zoo animals, they are hopefully a tad smarter and they will learn to hunt and adapt...otherwise they will die out... I don't see that happening any time soon... they want to eat, they will hunt, they just won't do it with a 30,000 dollar rifle
less

I don't see many kids going hunting to eat.
They do go back home to raid the fridge though.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
actually it's the opposite...albacore has less of a fishy taste...I hate fish... that's why I like the white stuff

think of it as paying more for less

I eat lots of fish - doctor's recommendations, salmon, tuna, sardines, herring, kippers, sole, cod, oysters- you name it- delicious.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I eat lots of fish - doctor's recommendations, salmon, tuna, sardines, herring, kippers, sole, cod, oysters- you name it- delicious.
*choke* yeah I gag it down when I can...

I don't see many kids going hunting to eat.
They do go back home to raid the fridge though.
I was speaking metaphorically :smile:

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I think that you are over exaggerating on the # of people vs the # of available jobs... I can't speak for Ontario (where I believe you are) but in AB, companies like Suncor are still flying in Newfies every couple weeks as there are not enough people here willing to take the jobs in areas outside the major cities.

In part, this comes down to another issue of the present generation being too finicky about what job they will 'accept' as opposed to working into new positions as the experiential factor gets stronger.

Seems to me that there is a demand for immediate gratification in the 20-somethings today that is unrealistic when it comes to expected career paths and compensation.

Yes our expectations are set very high. I agree. We where raised in nothing but the best. So we expect it...

I happen to think Our intelligence puts a huge strain on our psychology.
A simple animal doesn't deal everyday with complex systems, that can have consequences on your psychy.
Animals don't deal with addictions, gambling, drinking. Traffic, brainwashing. Etc... This list goes on.
Humans have many unhealthy behavioural problems compared to animals.

I think we already are dealing with as many complex variables as we can... Adding financial hardship usually ends up being the straw that breaks the camels back.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Yes our expectations are set very high. I agree. We where raised in nothing but the best. So we expect it...

You have a few choices here I guess.

1. Review what your expectation are.
  2. Work to achieve those expectations.
  3. Move back in with Mom and Dad and b*tch to them about how they have let you down.

I happen to think Our intelligence puts a huge strain on our psychology.
A simple animal doesn't deal everyday with complex systems, that can have consequences on your psychy.
Animals don't deal with addictions, gambling, drinking. Traffic, brainwashing. Etc... This list goes on.
Humans have many unhealthy behavioural problems compared to animals.

I think we already are dealing with as many complex variables as we can... Adding financial hardship usually ends up being the straw that breaks the camels back.

I hope that you're not under the impression that these 'variables' are unique to the Gen Xers, Yers, etc.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
hell I don't even understand what the article is saying, jobs are lost but jobs are gained, unemployment is up but not really...k then8O

That's just the con spin on the employ/unemployment situation.

Bunch of BS about improving employment, meanwhile shutting everything down that does not follow lockstep in the great Conway.

More jobs, but not really.

EI, but can't be collected.

Even CBC has to report "the news", or be redundant.

PS: nice avatar.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I hope that you're not under the impression that these 'variables' are unique to the Gen Xers, Yers, etc.

No I fully understand that.
My point is, Things are fun on the way up , Compared with what are things on their way down,Economically speaking.
And most human psychy is not very well geared with dealing with repeated failures.

On the other hand, I think kids understand their parents way better then their parents understand them.
I'm just giving you a small glimpse into that world, most parents never seem to, comprehend.

You could say... My parents where better tooled to deal with the real world then my generation was.
I spent the first 10 years frustrated and depressed adjusting and lowering my expectations, bitching, angry
About everything, slowly learning coping tools adapting myself to the situation, life has become.
Skills my parents had already at a young age.

In other words I had to take a step back, before I could take my first step forward.
That took me around 10 years. Less Stubborn kids probably do it much faster.

I didn't want to accept it.
Today I do fine. But it was a very taxing period of life, psychologically.

Kids only finally grow up by the time they are around 30 now a days.
If we generalize.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Each and every generation will go through peaks and valleys in an economy... The boomers went through this as well, hell NEP screwed more boomers than the current generation can ever expect to experience over their entire life time.

Not to sound critical here, but all your giving me here are nothing more than excuses

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The remark was made more in humour than technical completeness and accuracy. -:)
Maybe you have then never pondered the technical procreation process of farm fowl?.....that chickens use the same lower orifice for everything? 8) :lol:

It's enough to turn you off eggs for breakfast....

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
check the super market shelves...it's the cheap stuff... I buy it as cat treats now... it smells nasty and tastes worse...

solid white chunk baby, it's the only way to go:

there's a big difference

Never heard of pink. Solid white in water, last we bought on sale @ .99/can................This good ?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Never heard of pink. Solid white in water, last we bought on sale @ .99/can................This good ?
lol well they don't "call" it pink, but when you open the tin it is pink or closer to coral actually...the solid white...yeah it is good, (for fish) I guess... it just doesn't hold up to beef. ;-) I'm a beef girl