2010 - 2011 World Junior Men's Hockey

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
You would think they would know that hockey has three periods, not two. They didn't deserve to win the gold because of that. Kudos to the Russians who at least fought back and didn't roll over and die(like they could have). Hard to feel good about silver this time around to be honest.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
they are just young, and didn't have the mental focus to go the three periods, it's a good lesson,
and one they can learn now, and it will serve them well in the NHL, because that is one of the
hardest parts of the game, to focus and play just as hard from beginning to the end.

they were obviously brain drained in the third, and the russians, (being older), came on and finished
the job, congrats to them, they pulled off a big win in one period, and they were obviously totally out
of their minds at the end of the game.

I felt good for them too.

They are all very young, we must all remember that, more growing up to do, mentally and physically,
and this tournament will teach all of the canadian players much, they will come out much stronger
next time.

It's just a hockey tournament folks, not world war three, life goes on tomorrow.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
They had the mental focus to go the entire sixty minutes against the US, so I think they could have done the same against Russia. They took them too lightly and thought the game was won before the game was even over, and hopefully they'll keep that in mind the next tournament.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
They had the mental focus to go the entire sixty minutes against the US, so I think they could have done the same against Russia. They took them too lightly and thought the game was won before the game was even over, and hopefully they'll keep that in mind the next tournament.

I don't think anyone took anyone too lightly, I think that they played so hard for two periods, and it
was the 'final', more pressure, more stress, that they mentally burned out.
it was not the semi final, it was the final, the gold just ahead, they got emotionally screwed up, it
happens.
Russia came on, and they panicked and lost their focus, and the russians jumped all over that.

Their age makes them vulnerable to mental mistakes, any of them, the russians were a bit paralized early
in the game, that was their problem,canadians probably couldn't even hear their
coach any more, tried to play the right way but couldn't, their kids, not perfect.

We shouldn't criticize them too much, they didn't do it on purpose, they just couldn't get it done.
We want them to please us, but it's not about us, it's about them.

It doesn't hurt me at all, it hurts them.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
I do so agree, tallola. I will never forget the US juniors singing their national anthem after winning gold in Saskatoon last year. The look of pride on their faces even in the face of our defeat, was something I was happy to see. I silently applauded every single American who came to support their team this year.

But, I am twice as proud of every single Canadian who took the time and spent the money to go to Buffalo for our guys - they deserve a lot of credit and I hope they all had a great time so far. I expect the stadium to be red and white as we meet the Russians tonight and I also expect to here, once again, the Canadian anthem sung loudly and proudly by all those Canucks in the stands.

Warming up to our game by watching the Bronze Medal game. So far, no score as the first period is about to end.

I do not travel by dogsled
A loonie is a dollar, not a relative
I live in the second largest country in the world​

I AM CANADIAN

Winter only lasts one season
I live in a house, not an igloo
I do not know your second cousin John in Saskatoon
Our currency was not based on monopoly money
The parliament buildings are not made of ice
The maple leaf is our national symbol

WE ARE THE BEST HOCKEY PLAYERS IN THE WORLD

GO, CANADA, GO! ALL THE BEST TO OUR JUNIORS IN THEIR GOLD MEDAL GAME!

:canada:
WE ARE THE BEST HOCKEY PLAYERS IN THE WORLD

Mowicz.....
GO, CANADA, GO! ALL THE BEST TO OUR JUNIORS IN THEIR GOLD MEDAL GAME!
Canadian arrogance has been rewarded. No other team or thier fans are so arrogant and disrespectful of other teams and thier respective nations as are Canadians. The concept of sportsmanship is lost on the vast majority of Canadians as anyone who has attended a game involving Canadians can attest.You don't own hockey or any other sport for that matter. Get over yourselves.
Looks good on you !

Posted by: breeze |

Last edited by a moderator:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I just heard that the entire Russian team was kicked off their flight due to rowdy behaviour.

. No other team or thier fans are so arrogant and disrespectful of other teams and thier respective nations as are Canadians. The concept of sportsmanship is lost on the vast majority of Canadians as anyone who has attended a game involving Canadians can attest.|​

That is just about the biggest heaping steam of **** I have ever read.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Through 20 minutes I was ecstatic with the way they were out-working, out-hitting, out-skating and all round out-playing the Russians.

Through 40 minutes I was content but had some trepidation at the way they were sitting back.

In the 3rd I was very disappointed. The worst meltdown in WJHC gold medal history. Have to give the Russians their dues, but you also have to wonder about what could have been a much more satisfying result.

As for Canadian "arrogance" and "poor sportsmanship", this may be true in some of the fans to some degree, but I think China is overstating it. Canadian hockey players are some of the most team oriented and classy athletes in the world. We don't "own" hockey but we excel at it and are proud that we do. We play hard, we play to win, we have high expectations and a tradition of excelllence. The fans can get carried away, but the boys (and girls) don't, as a rule. Look at our poster boys over the years: Wayne, Mario, Stevie Y, Joe Sakic were all class acts. Even Crosby today, vs Ovechkin: I'd much rather have Sid wearing my flag.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Poetic Justice !!
Canadian arrogance has been rewarded. No other team or thier fans are so arrogant and disrespectful of other teams and thier respective nations as are Canadians. The concept of sportsmanship is lost on the vast majority of Canadians as anyone who has attended a game involving Canadians can attest.You don't own hockey or any other sport for that matter. Get over yourselves.
Looks good on you !

China showing just one more reason why he doesn't deserve to be called Canadian.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
China showing just one more reason why he doesn't deserve to be called Canadian.

he obviously has had no contact with hockey players, coaches etc., as they are some of the finest
citizens, and canada can be proud of them.

they behave respectively and are taught to be good sportsman. the game itself is a rough tough game,
so perhaps china thinks that flows into the nature of each player, not so.

my family has been part of the hockey culture since I was a little girl, and I am proud to say that.

he obviously is just spouting criticism, without any knowledge, and that in itself is rude.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Congratulations to the Russians kids, they won the game and truly deserve to wear the Gold Medal and I am happy for them. They reminded me much of my Riders with their come from behind wins in the tourney - just goes to show you can't count anyone out until the last whistle is blown.

That said, I wonder why our coach didn't pull Vinsentin and put Roy in after that third goal was scored to tie the game. Why put it all on the kid??? These young men played their hearts out during the entire tourney. They make me proud and I salute every one of them. Thanks for a great tourney guys and for giving up all you had too to play for Canada during the Christmas season.

GO, CANADA, GO. :canada:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think our Canadian team was badly outplayed in the third period. We shouldn't be ashamed of them. The Russians deserve full credit. They obviously had a few tricks left and in just a few minutes our three goal lead was gone and we were down two goals. Our juniors played magnificently but they were out coached and out played in the third. We can't forget that they did get to the gold medal game and our team's stats show that they deserved to be there. If I had to blame anyone it would be our coaches who didn't seem to know how to respond to the Russians. Where was Messier when this was happening?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
he obviously has had no contact with hockey players, coaches etc., as they are some of the finest
citizens, and canada can be proud of them.

they behave respectively and are taught to be good sportsman. the game itself is a rough tough game,
so perhaps china thinks that flows into the nature of each player, not so.

my family has been part of the hockey culture since I was a little girl, and I am proud to say that.

he obviously is just spouting criticism, without any knowledge, and that in itself is rude.

respectfully, corr.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Looks good on you !

Posted by: breeze |

Wow. You really take the cake. You want to speak of arrogance? You are the epitome of arrogance. You walk around this forum acting like your **** doesn't stink and that China is such a better country than Canada.

But wait! Is that even your own opinion or did you have to copy and paste that from AOL? Wouldn't be the first time, right?

Of course, you would be the expert on disrespect, as that is all you show to Canada and Canadians and it's really starting to piss me off.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Hey China hows the divorce going? Sucks when the only person in the world who thought that loved you doesnt :)...

By the way anyone caught with russian flags or caught trying to pronounce russian in the latin alphabit on their facebook will be shot on sight

Last edited:

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
I think our Canadian team was badly outplayed in the third period.

Careful there #juan, you don't wanna get yourself too far out on a limb! ;-)

Seriously though, I think it was a mistake for Schenn to start flapping his crest after the third goal. Pissed the Russians off and gave them a spark. You'll notice there were a lot of Russians making the same gesture as they celebrated after the game.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Careful there #juan, you don't wanna get yourself too far out on a limb! ;-)

Seriously though, I think it was a mistake for Schenn to start flapping his crest after the third goal. Pissed the Russians off and gave them a spark. You'll notice there were a lot of Russians making the same gesture as they celebrated after the game.
I know my huge understatement, Not only were they outplayed, they were outcoached by a wide margin. If our coaches had insisted that our players stick with their checks and not let them even think of a goal scoring play, the ending would have been quite different.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
That said, I wonder why our coach didn't pull Vinsentin and put Roy in after that third goal was scored to tie the game. Why put it all on the kid??? These young men played their hearts out during the entire tourney. They make me proud and I salute every one of them. Thanks for a great tourney guys and for giving up all you had too to play for Canada during the Christmas season.

GO, CANADA, GO. :canada:

That was the problem, the goalie should have been pulled after the 3rd goal. Unfortunately the coach didn't have a clue. Terrible coaching.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I know my huge understatement, Not only were they outplayed, they were outcoached by a wide margin. If our coaches had insisted that our players stick with their checks and not let them even think of a goal scoring play, the ending would have been quite different.

They're young- the loss probably did them a lot more good than a win would have.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I just heard that the entire Russian team was kicked off their flight due to rowdy behaviour.

Not only rowdy behaviour, but a lot of under age drinking as well. I wonder where the coaching staff was. Heads should roll. That was an embrassment to the entire tournament.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not only rowdy behaviour, but a lot of under age drinking as well. I wonder where the coaching staff was. Heads should roll. That was an embrassment to the entire tournament.

Yeah, that underage drinking is terrible, at least they weren't snorting crack. :lol: