2010 - 2011 World Junior Men's Hockey

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
In spite of all odds, the Russians beat the Swedes today to advance to the Gold Medal game. One goal will be talked about for some time to come with arguments over whether there should or should not have been an icing call - regardless, the Russians were credited with the goal and went on to win the game in a shoot-out. Many were saying that the Russians would be tired after their overtime win against the Fins last night and though they did not look energetic neither did the much vaunted Swedes. After the needless remark about our Canadian team by the Swedish coach, I think this loss looks good on them but even better it is a great win for the Russians and the question now is who will they meet in the Gold Medal game - Canada or the U.S. - that game gets under way in just over an hour PST.

Goal- tending and penalties will be the big factor in this game, IMHO. The Canadians are good at penalty killing but so are the Americans and they do have the more experienced goalie in Campbell. I really hope the game lives up to all the hype that it has been given and provides us fans with some really great hockey. One thing for sure, the stadium will be a sea of red and white as the majority of seats are taken by Canadian fans - who really rock!

GO, CANADA, GO! I AM CANADIAN AND HOCKEY IS OUR GAME!:canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
By the end of the first period it was quite evident that our young Canadians had all the skills they needed to win this game and win it they did in very convincing fashion. Final score of 4 to 1 hardly tells the story as the MVP for the US team certainly found out, stopping 37 shots on goal as compared to 22 for the Canadian goalie. However, our goalie was outstanding during the game, snatching opposition pucks out of the air and blocking the US time after time. It took a powerplay goal before the US finally got on the board.

Our kids did us proud today - they dominated the game and put to rest for now just who is the better team. Right on Canadian Juniors, now all you have to do is beat the Russians on Wednesday and Canada will once again take the gold back home where it truly belongs.

GO, CANADA, GO! CANADA'S JUNIORS ROCK THE ICE! :canada:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What an interesting venue. Buffalo was under siege from Canadians on the ice and in the stands. Canadians are like a collective group of army ants when it comes to hockey. They probably ate the arena right out hot dogs. Hopefully the locals survived the onslaught.

I thought the tenacious hitting noticeably intimidated the US early in the game. From that point on it was just a matter of whether or not the goaltenders would decide the result.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What an interesting venue. Buffalo was under siege from Canadians on the ice and in the stands. Canadians are like a collective group of army ants when it comes to hockey. They probably ate the arena right out hot dogs. Hopefully the locals survived the onslaught.

I thought the tenacious hitting noticeably intimidated the US early in the game. From that point on it was just a matter of whether or not the goaltenders would decide the result.

One thing I wondered about was, if the Canadian fans weren't there, the stadium would have been nearly empty?. It is always nice to see our team win big in our game.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
One thing I wondered about was, if the Canadian fans weren't there, the stadium would have been nearly empty?. It is always nice to see our team win big in our game.
Or they just got on ticketmaster faster.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Next to the Canada/Russia game in the 2010 Olympics, that was probably the best played game in international hockey that I have personally witnessed Canada play. Complete domination in every aspect. We made them our bitches. Well done.

Now, if they play like that against Russia, the Ruskies may as well head home now.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I love this tourney and I love the way our kids play in this tourney. Last night was a classic example. I only wish it was the gold medal game :p Oh well, I can pull for the US against the Swedes and hope our boys keep hitting the Russians they way they were bodying Team USA last night. If they do, we'll rout them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
One of the very few times I agree with Bob McKendsie. Every time the Americans got posession of the puck, there was a Canadian in their face in seconds. The Americans were hurried and harried at every turn. That is certainly one of the things that helped win the game.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Love this quote in yahoo sports:

"The world didn't really come to Buffalo, contrary to the sales pitch. Buffalo didn't come to the world junior. Canadians did."

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Love this quote in yahoo sports:

"The world didn't really come to Buffalo, contrary to the sales pitch. Buffalo didn't come to the world junior. Canadians did."

where was the support for team u.s.a., it was quite embarrassing to see the canadian team playing like
they were at home, canadian fans everywhere, but I suppose that was a reason for the location, so that
the rink would be filled, they knew the canadians would come, and they knew the u.s. fans would not.
it is all about money not pride.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
where was the support for team u.s.a., it was quite embarrassing to see the canadian team playing like
they were at home, canadian fans everywhere, but I suppose that was a reason for the location, so that
the rink would be filled, they knew the canadians would come, and they knew the u.s. fans would not.
it is all about money not pride.

I do so agree, tallola. I will never forget the US juniors singing their national anthem after winning gold in Saskatoon last year. The look of pride on their faces even in the face of our defeat, was something I was happy to see. I silently applauded every single American who came to support their team this year.

But, I am twice as proud of every single Canadian who took the time and spent the money to go to Buffalo for our guys - they deserve a lot of credit and I hope they all had a great time so far. I expect the stadium to be red and white as we meet the Russians tonight and I also expect to here, once again, the Canadian anthem sung loudly and proudly by all those Canucks in the stands.

Warming up to our game by watching the Bronze Medal game. So far, no score as the first period is about to end.

I do not travel by dogsled
A loonie is a dollar, not a relative
I live in the second largest country in the world​

I AM CANADIAN

Winter only lasts one season
I live in a house, not an igloo
I do not know your second cousin John in Saskatoon
Our currency was not based on monopoly money
The parliament buildings are not made of ice
The maple leaf is our national symbol

WE ARE THE BEST HOCKEY PLAYERS IN THE WORLD

GO, CANADA, GO! ALL THE BEST TO OUR JUNIORS IN THEIR GOLD MEDAL GAME!

:canada:

Coddfish

Electoral Member
May 29, 2007
Ontario
I can't believe Canada pulled a very similar Boston situation tonight. That lesson sure is true, TP.

I don't know guys. This was disappointing, but you got to give Russia credit, though. After a slow start at 0-2, they warmed up and won when it was important. They didn't quit and I'm still glad that they put Sweden out in the Semis...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
These guys came out thinking they had it in the bag and your are right it takes three periods
of hard play. These guys did not deserve to win tonight.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Kudos to Russia - they fought tooth and nail for the win. Great series and lots of fun to watch. Now if only the NHL could be this type of fun without the fighting, the TV audience would be FAR higher in the States.