17-year-old girl stoned to death for loving boy of wrong religion

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I understand you perfectly Josephine. I must admit that I am a avid campaingner against the total lack of human rights for women in eastern countries. But, I don't care what race, creed or color someone is, I would vehemently stand up for all oppressed humans, regardless of gender.

What an odd thing Libra Girl: you have been going after me tooth and claw, and here you are in your second sentence saying exactly what I have been posting all along.

Looks like we were in agreement the whole time.

Pangloss

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Tracy:

What I've written is the opposite of ignoring reality: the consequences of separating people into deserving/good/benign and undeserving/bad/malignant are truly horrific, as has been demonstrated throughout the ages and around the world.

Of course gender/race/economics/nationalism/education and any other adjective you can think of plays a role in violence: that is the point I am making.

The moment you say that one gender/race/nationality/religion/whatever is somehow worse than another, you justify all kinds of dehumanizing behaviours towards that group or class - including rape, murder, forced exile and slavery. Usually, the demonized side will eventually reciprocate.

This thread is making exactly those mistakes.

Pangloss

I don't think anyone is saying one group deserves violence to be perpetrated against them more than another. I think people were just acknowledging the reality that abuse against women in some countries is horrific and needs to change. I didn't see anyone saying men deserve to be stoned to death.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think anyone is saying one group deserves violence to be perpetrated against them more than another. I think people were just acknowledging the reality that abuse against women in some countries is horrific and needs to change. I didn't see anyone saying men deserve to be stoned to death.

Of course nobody said men should be stoned to death: also, nobody said octopuses should be conscripted into hard labour. Saying what nobody said is an endless list that illuminates nothing.

Your point (other than the obvious that one that everybody knows is so obvious that it need not be written by anyone but you) would be exactly what, then?

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Tracy:

A more honest exegesis of my posts would require reading them in their entirety and in context.

As my posts throughout this community show, a good point that contradicts what I have written elicits thanks, and a change in my viewpoint. Honesty like that puts me in a most definite minority, as any survey would demonstrate.

I have no loyalty to my opinions: I keep them exactly as long as they appear more true than any other argument they have come up against. Not one moment longer.

An attack, vaguely worded and lacking specifics, elicits exactly what it justifies. A yawn.

Pangloss

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
I understand you perfectly Josephine. I must admit that I am a avid campaingner against the total lack of human rights for women in eastern countries. But, I don't care what race, creed or color someone is, I would vehemently stand up for all oppressed humans, regardless of gender.

That's wonderful Libra Girl.

But I've never said the rights of others are not important and i've never said that I didn't care about others who are oppressed.
The fact is this thread was about a young girl who was stipped half naked, beaten and murdered but a large group of men. That goes pretty far to making this is a women's right issue. I don't care what colour this girl is or what her religion is.
I believe in human rights absolutely...but women are not necessarily seen as people. They weren't in Canada for a hell of a long time.

The truth here is that this story was about this young girl. About what was done to her because she fell in love with the "wrong" boy. Is it a human rights issue, sure...but to deny the fact that it is also a women's right issue is to be blind to the reality for women around the globe.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Of course nobody said men should be stoned to death: also, nobody said octopuses should be conscripted into hard labour. Saying what nobody said is an endless list that illuminates nothing.

Your point (other than the obvious that one that everybody knows is so obvious that it need not be written by anyone but you) would be exactly what, then?

Pangloss

My point would be that it's silly to assume people value men's lives less than women's simply because they didn't expressly say otherwise and that commenting on the reality of women's rights around the world doesn't contribute to segregation or inequality of the sexes.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
To be fair, even though academically I know I shouldn't, I do put more value on women's lives then men's lives. Just the way I feel deep down.

Women and children first type of thing. Way I was raised I suppose.

TomG

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2006
As a result of the story and the thoughts I put myself through in writing my post, I became a member of Amnesty International yesterday. I will seek an appropriate involvement for myself beyond being a member/donor. Simply throwing money at issues isn’t a very meaningful participation to me. Sometimes thoughts do connect with action.

I start from a perception that the issue is much more complex than discussed here, and similar stories are much more common than we find in western news media. We all need to approach issues with eventual action in mind, and also with thoughts pitched at appropriate levels of complexity. However, my first step was simplicity itself. I just did it, and most everybody who expressed outrage here should also find their own paths of action.

Josephine

Electoral Member
Mar 13, 2007
As a result of the story and the thoughts I put myself through in writing my post, I became a member of Amnesty International yesterday. I will seek an appropriate involvement for myself beyond being a member/donor. Simply throwing money at issues isn’t a very meaningful participation to me. Sometimes thoughts do connect with action.

I start from a perception that the issue is much more complex than discussed here, and similar stories are much more common than we find in western news media. We all need to approach issues with eventual action in mind, and also with thoughts pitched at appropriate levels of complexity. However, my first step was simplicity itself. I just did it, and most everybody who expressed outrage here should also find their own paths of action.

Very well put TomG. I agree, and it's actually pretty funny, because I had a conversation with someone yesterday who basically said the same thing! Instead of wasting time getting angry, get out there and do something!!!
I mean I'll debate the issue of child abuse and pedophiles, but I put my time and energy into volunteering and taking action.

Congratulations on joining Amnesty!!! I think that's fantastic and something to feel really great about!:p