12 countries including Canada reach tentative Trans-Pacific trade deal

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
While driving home I was listening to former Liberal leadership candidate (twice!) Martha Hall-Findlay on some radio show discussing the new trade deal and explaining dairy/poultry/egg supply management.

Summary: deal very good, surprisingly large payments to dairy industry to compensate them for opening up less than 4% of their market to imports, supply mgmt is stupid and costs everyone, Mulcair is a hypocrite for supporting supply mgmt as resultant high prices hurt low income Canadians most.

Stunning that the Liberals picked the loser leaders that they have over her. She does sound more like a Conservative though--maybe that's why.

Here she is talking about the same issue on BNN a couple days ago:

Reader Tips - Small Dead Animals

billshaver

Electoral Member
Sep 7, 2015
more harpo conns on here than crows on a statue in the park doing what they noramlly do.....spread their KRAP.....

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The non-unionized auto plants ... Honda and Toyota, are thriving. The workers there are doing very well, too because their plants are thriving. The unions have killed the proverbial goose that laid their golden eggs for decades.

GM, Chrysler and Ford have announced record sales.

Yes I listened to the 'pro' commenters on the radio yesterday and they all pointed to the Unionized workers as whiners but there was finally a caller who said it as it is.

This deals aim is to allow Japan, Korea and others to import more cars from their home countries. It also reduces Canadian Content which will allow those manufactures to get the parts made by 25 cent an hour workers in Malaysia or Vietnam or wherever thereby eliminating those jobs in Canada at the non-union places like Linamar and Magna companies.

Linamar in Guelph/Cambridge has around 9,000 employees. I don't know how many Magana has but I'm sure it's at least that many.

And the Dairy part can't be a good deal if they are already being told they will be subsidized by taxpayers to the amount of $4.5 billion for their loss of income......

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
No? The past 15 years of intense infrastructure construction was for nothing?

Where are the markets? Maybe the infrastructure is a good idea and hopefully there will just be a slight delay of a few years before markets reappear, if not then it certainly would not be the first time highways to nothing were built. What were the forcasted markets fifteen or more years ago that compelled the buildup? It does not necessarily follow that if "you" build "they" will come.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Aren't you involved? I am. I'm getting paid for knowledge and enduring west coast moonbats who can't drive.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Yes we're all fatty boombalattes I blame the ice cream man and that stupid truck coming by every day with all them goodies fer the kids.

Not the growth hormones in your milk that most Western countries don't allow?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
like this has anything to do with anything ...oh my stumbled into another hate blog...strange to find one in canada...after all its the new norm...thought this only existed in usa...
I asked 2 questions. How you get "hate blog" out of that is a mystery.

more harpo conns on here than crows on a statue in the park doing what they noramlly do.....spread their KRAP.....
aaaaaand speaking of hate ......

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, anyways, perhaps Canada should leave businesses to sort out trade deals and whatnot and stick to governing.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Thank you Mr. Harper

Right you thank him for what exactly? The devil is in the details none of us are allowed to see for four years. And we have only thier word, which is worthless, that we will see the details after the four year initial period. I don't think it's what you wish it is.
I do think it will be swept aside before it becomes fully activated. It is rumoured to cement corporate rule into civic society. I'd rather slip in the new dark age knowing what the deals ultimate aim is. It dose not appear to be a trade agreement at all but something entirely sinister and totalitarian.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Freeland won't commit yet to Feb. 4 TPP signing

Canada's international trade minister says her government hasn't decided whether it will participate in an expected signing ceremony for the Trans-Pacific Partnership in Auckland, New Zealand early next month.

"We are aware that some of the countries are talking about a signing in New Zealand. Canada hasn't yet taken a decision," Chrystia Freeland told reporters in Vancouver Tuesday.

Freeland's holding a series of cross-Canada consultations about the 12-country Pacific Rim trade agreement.

Negotiations concluded Oct. 5 during Canada's federal election campaign, when then-prime minister Stephen Harper heralded the TPP as being "without any doubt whatsoever in the best interests of the Canadian economy.'

The trade minister, along with the rest of Justin Trudeau's government, have taken considerable pains to emphasize their party's openness to international trade deals like TPP. But they've stopped short of endorsing it fully, saying they have a lot to learn first about the contents and implications of the 6,000-page deal.

While her predecessor, Ed Fast, actively promoted the deal he worked to negotiate, Freeland characterized herself this week as being in "listening mode." She met Alberta farm groups Monday, other concerned stakeholders in Vancouver Tuesday and has more consultations set for Montreal and the Toronto area over the next few days.

This is a very big, complex agreement. I've heard from some stakeholders that they're only now starting to digest it and starting to understand which parts of it will be relevant to them," she said, admitting to reporters in Vancouver that her stakeholder discussions Tuesday revealed some things that were news to both her and her officials.

She declined to specify exactly what.

"I am working hard on it myself, but I do think it's important for Canadians to understand that we are serious about the consultation process."

At least six countries, including the largest economies, United States and Japan, must ratify the deal in order for it to come into force at the end of the two-year period — a threshold Freeland characterized as a "Plan B" should some of the smaller countries find the final text politically unpalatable and drop out.

Even if Canada does not attend this ceremony, it could sign on and ratify at a later date, before the deal takes hold.

Asked when her government might bring forward a bill for Canada's ratification, Freeland first paused, and then said "we're very much not there yet."

​However, she said when Parliament resumes she will ask the Commons trade committee, once it is formed, to make a "comprehensive cross-country study" of the TPP a priority.

more

Chrystia Freeland won't commit yet to Feb. 4 TPP signing - Politics - CBC News