1/3 Population of Puerto Rico Gets Food Stamps from U.S. Gov’t

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I have no patience to read the posts in this thread; I cannot understand the interest by Canadians.
In 2011, in Puerto Rico, the unemployment was 16%, the minimum wage too low for meeting family needs, and the economy dominated by American companies receiving financial incentives from the US government.
In November, 2012, the population voted for statehood. If the American Congress objects , they should approach Spain to take Puerto Rico back and apologize for the Spanish-American War.
However, I am certain the American flag industry is a supporter of full statehood.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I have no patience to read the posts in this thread; I cannot understand the interest by Canadians.
In 2011, in Puerto Rico, the unemployment was 16%, the minimum wage too low for meeting family needs, and the economy dominated by American companies receiving financial incentives from the US government.
In November, 2012, the population voted for statehood. If the American Congress objects , they should approach Spain to take Puerto Rico back and apologize for the Spanish-American War.
However, I am certain the American flag industry is a supporter of full statehood.

Its the women, spade!!

Latina meets Taino meets all American girls. Mojo At Hojos!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It was the Hawaiians who opposed statehood for those 10 years. Only when they favored it was statehood granted.

I've no doubt that Hawaiians have to approve however they do not have the authority to grant themselves statehood.

Only Congress can give permission.

Look at Puerto Rico... as you said the majority has voted for statehood. Are they a state? No!

So... as I said... earlier... It's not done that way.

Yes ... PR isn't doing that good which is why it is doubtful they'll be a state.

Why should we apologize to Spain for the Spanish-American War? Why should Spain take them back. I say cut Puerto Rico free and give them their independence whether they want it or not.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I've no doubt that Hawaiians have to approve however they do not have the authority to grant themselves statehood.

Only Congress can give permission.

Look at Puerto Rico... as you said the majority has voted for statehood. Are they a state? No!

So... as I said... earlier... It's not done that way.

Yes ... PR isn't doing that good which is why it is doubtful they'll be a state.

Why should we apologize to Spain for the Spanish-American War? Why should Spain take them back. I say cut Puerto Rico free and give them their independence whether they want it or not.

ES, did you ever read your constitution, or study ANYTHING besides right wing rhetoric?

Its PR's CALL- as Americans, as equal citizens, by historical precedent - in Hawaii.

Its not 'we gonna cut them loose', because your Republican polity is in a long decline- you don't HAVE the power.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
ES, did you ever read your constitution, or study ANYTHING besides right wing rhetoric?

Its PR's CALL- as Americans, as equal citizens, by historical precedent - in Hawaii.

Then why aren't they a state? They already voted for statehood... they are not a state. It is the call of the US Govt. therefore YOU FAIL!

Why can't they vote for President?

Why are their members of congress non-voting members?

"The current annual spending cap of about $230 million is about 15% of the $1.6 billion that Puerto Rico would receive if equal treatment applied."

You're darn right they want to be a state!

Its not 'we gonna cut them loose', because your Republican polity is in a long decline- you don't HAVE the power.
Oh I know we aren't going to cut them loose. I wish they would do it on their own but they won't. They are too dependent on the US now and want more.

And I've heard of the decline of the GOP before. Back in 2008 the GOP was finished the tards said. Two years later the GOP swept the House of Representatives and almost took the Senate.

I am also what they call unenrolled... I do not belong to either party.

Hey you should bring you and your wife or girlfriend to New York's Puerto Rican Day celebration!

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
;-)Quoth the Eagle:

""Why should we apologize to Spain for the Spanish-American War? Why should Spain take them back. I say cut Puerto Rico free and give them their independence whether they want it or not.""

We could use a guy like you up here next time the Quebecqois vote to separate. Help me hand out leaflets.

Don't let la porte hit ya on the derriere on the way out.8O

They are so gaddam lucky they ain't Newfoundland, way out to the east. They would have been cut loose a long time ago.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
;-)Quoth the Eagle:

""Why should we apologize to Spain for the Spanish-American War? Why should Spain take them back. I say cut Puerto Rico free and give them their independence whether they want it or not.""

We could use a guy like you up here next time the Quebecqois vote to separate. Help me hand out leaflets.

Don't let la porte hit ya on the derriere on the way out.8O

They are so gaddam lucky they ain't Newfoundland, way out to the east. They would have been cut loose a long time ago.

Actually - I have to agree with you regarding the last referendum. Meech lake gave 'preferential representation'- a true abomination.' Toe the line or blow' in my opinion.

But Puerto Riico is dead opposite. The PR's want full equal rep- the US REPUBS are trying to pull a 'Quebecquios".

PR will cost the GOP the 201`6 election. 2020 they may pull it together.

Then why aren't they a state? They already voted for statehood... they are not a state. It is the call of the US Govt. therefore YOU FAIL!

Why can't they vote for President?

Why are their members of congress non-voting members?

"The current annual spending cap of about $230 million is about 15% of the $1.6 billion that Puerto Rico would receive if equal treatment applied."

You're darn right they want to be a state!

Oh I know we aren't going to cut them loose. I wish they would do it on their own but they won't. They are too dependent on the US now and want more.

And I've heard of the decline of the GOP before. Back in 2008 the GOP was finished the tards said. Two years later the GOP swept the House of Representatives and almost took the Senate.

I am also what they call unenrolled... I do not belong to either party.

Hey you should bring you and your wife or girlfriend to New York's Puerto Rican Day celebration!

Nah- don't liek New York. Western Country guy here.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

Years ago Air Canada used to do a lot of radio/tv commercials in NY about travel to Puerto Rico. I believe a lot of Canadians still travel & live there during winter.

hunboldt; said:
Its the women, spade!!

Latina meets Taino meets all American girls. Mojo At Hojos!

Wow - you know your stuff. A friend of mine is a Puerto Rican descended of the Tainos who were exiled by the USA government to Hawaii. He has studied the Native Arawak language and reads/writes it.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Make Puerto Rico the 51 st State!!

and,

Washington DC the 52d!!

Four more patriots in the Senate and a few more electoral votes as well.

That sure would fück up the twisted minds of the far right. ;)