That Pesky North Korea Issue

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
North Korea making missile-ready nuclear weapons, U.S. analysts say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/?wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-world%2Bnation&wpmk=1

Now that Kim is feeling cornered..... he might behave even more erratically than usual. Kim is very single minded about developing this capability.......at the cost to his own people if need be. Not sure the sanctions will work to motivate him to stop or curtail his Nuke weapons efforts .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The nuke they tested a couple years ago was the size of 2 40ft seacans.

If they get it half the size they'd need a rocket 10x the size.

But biological or gas, that's a different story.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
What will Trudeau do?
What should he do??

Kim is targeting the US. for whatever reason....... Trump's bellicose threat is just inflaming the situation. Kim is not going to give up his weapons program. For a lot of his own delusional reasons.

Canada factors in only because of i;t;s proximity to the US and IF Kim's missile miss their target........Canad might be hit by accident.

What is more important is what China is doing and would do.

The fact remains that if the US is threatened and or attacked.....Canada will come to its support. And that could be costly.

Canada role is supportive. It does NOT want to be a world power. It does not need it either. There are enough bullies and tyrants challenging each other for the role of top dog.And we can see what a wonderful job they are doing... (sarcasm alert)

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
North Korea?

:lol:

All bark and no bite.

It's so benign, it makes terrorism look like a serious problem.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Those pesky North Koreans are going to be supported by the Chinese when push comes to shove (as they were the last time around on the Korean Peninsula) and dangerous times are afoot. The Chinses nuclear arsenal doesn't amount to much. It is about the size of Britain's or France's and it is not a very big stick but the Russian one is and they will get drawn into this just because they feel that they are in a planetary competition with us. I wish that I could say that saner minds will prevail but there is a conspicuous absence of those in the world at present.

These are dangerous events.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I doubt that. I'd say the Chinese support North Korea because it entangles the US and makes things difficult for US power. They don't care about their ideological affinity with North Korea like they did during the Korea war and North Korea has little economic value. If it came down to it, I bet China would rather abandon North Korea than get involved in a costly war. Better to let the US waste blood and treasure on yet another useless dick measuring contest. It's only ever made China stronger.

But yes, this is dangerous. Not because of China but because of North Korea's ability to murder millions of people in South Korea and possibly Japan in a matter of hours without nuclear weapons.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I doubt that. I'd say the Chinese support North Korea because it entangles the US and makes things difficult for US power. They don't care about their ideological affinity with North Korea like they did during the Korea war and North Korea has little economic value. If it came down to it, I bet China would rather abandon North Korea than get involved in a costly war. Better to let the US waste blood and treasure on yet another useless dick measuring contest. It's only ever made China stronger.

It won't be the US that they attack. It will be South Korea and maybe even Japan and that will compel the Americans to go back there (and us, too. Our contract with the UN has never expired and we will be called upon to fight on the Korean Penninsula, again).

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
the only reason China remains North Korea's ally (at least officially anyway) is because China does not want a refugee crisis on its doorstep. If it weren't for that, China would probably have let the allies have at North Korea. Honestly, the Chinese themselves are getting tired of North Korea.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
the only reason China remains North Korea's ally (at least officially anyway) is because China does not want a refugee crisis on its doorstep. If it weren't for that, China would probably have let the allies have at North Korea. Honestly, the Chinese themselves are getting tired of North Korea.

The North Koreans could start shelling Seoul tomorrow morning just to make a point. There is enough artillery pointed at the South Korean capital to make the great bombardments of Arras and the Somme look like Canada Day fireworks. They can unleash a Dresden-sized catastrophe right now, without preparation just as a show of strength. Now THAT would piss off the Chinese as they are now business partners with the South Koreans but I suspect that Comrade Kim couldn; 't give a rat's ass and he might just do something like that.

You mean China will attack South Korea and Japan? I doubt it. If they're smart, and they are, they'd just stay out of it.

They didn't sixty years ago.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
There aint going to be a land war in North Korea and if there is going to be one, its "Game Over Man"... Even if we shoot all his missiles down, whats to stop him from detonating nukes in cities that we would take in a land war?

Also if you park enough Aircraft Carrier Groups off the Korean coast, it will make China antsy...

The best we can hope for is that there is a quick coup that removes Kim, and even that possibility is scary.

We ignored North Korea for far too long which allowed them to build themselves up to this point. Even the Punjabis and Persians didnt go full retard like Kim...

Sooner or later, someone is going to have to "Pay the Fiddler"

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
The North Koreans could start shelling Seoul tomorrow morning just to make a point. There is enough artillery pointed at the South Korean capital to make the great bombardments of Arras and the Somme look like Canada Day fireworks. They can unleash a Dresden-sized catastrophe right now, without preparation just as a show of strength. Now THAT would piss off the Chinese as they are now business partners with the South Koreans but I suspect that Comrade Kim couldn; 't give a rat's ass and he might just do something like that.

I don't know. Would the North Koreans be that stupid?

When I was in China, the media covered suspicions that China's North Korean "friend and ally" might have counterfeited Chinese currency to spend in China. If true, now that's a way for North Korea to build ties with its one and only ally that tolerates it for purely practical reasons.

I don't know how much power Kim has. If he ordered the shelling of Seoul just for the heck of it, would the Communist Party have the power to override him? what about his generals? How much influence do they have over him? Would one of them be able to talk him out of it?

But yeah, if North Korea ever crosses the line, China will cut loose and let the world have at North Korea, at least to a degree.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
I think the best solution is this. If North Korea wants to isolate itself from the world, then let's give it what it wants and then some: total isolation. It does what it wants, but any trade is off the table.

It won't take long before North Korea topples from within. Let's not forget that North Korea trades a lot with China. If it really angered China and China decided to cut all trade ties, North Korea would hurt real fast.

Which one?? Trump or Kim ???

I think she was referring to Kim, but put the two together, and then we have a really dangerous scenario.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC

That might be part of it too. China deports North Korean refugees backs to North Korea. North Koreans escaping North Korea have to get to a foreign embassy, which is difficult, or Mongolia, which is difficult but easier. Mongolia deports them to South Korea where they can stay. If China wasn't an ally they could presumably send refugees to South Korea too.

Which one?? Trump or Kim ???

Trump. Kim too, but more specifically I meant Trump.