Do we need believe ?

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Do we need a belief of any kind, and if we do, why is it necessary? That’s one of the problems involved. We don’t need a belief that there is sunshine, the mountains, the rivers. We don’t need a belief that we and our wives quarrel. We don’t have to have a belief that life is a terrible misery with its anguish, conflict, and constant ambition; it is a fact. But we demand a belief when we want to escape from a fact into an unreality.
Your point of view .

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I always said that its not important what you believe but in what you do.
So umm err I believe in umm action :idea:

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
what if there is no god?
What then?
Belief in a way is trying to make something solid out of nothing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Belief in a religion is completely separate from spirituality.

You can easily escape religion but it is a nearly impossible to escape spirituality when we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

The ego makes the spirit human. The bigger the ego the less spiritual.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Belief in a religion is completely separate from spirituality.

You can easily escape religion but it is a nearly impossible to escape spirituality when we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

The ego makes the spirit human. The bigger the ego the less spiritual.
Welcome home. :smile:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If I didn't have the belief that people were inherently good, I'd be a complete cynic and avoid them like a plague.
Why would one wait for a bus if they didn't have the belief that a bus was on its way?
Why would someone send their kid to college unless they believed that knowledge is a good thing?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I don't understand. What has being a Liberal or a Conservative or NDP got to do with believing in God? I know your ref. is to Harper and his belief in God but lots of Liberals also believe in God.:smile:
Asl Sir Pompass. He'd likely say that in order to be a right-wing nut like a conservative, you'd have to be religious. It wouldn't compute for a liberal to be religious. lol

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
That is if he exists. But what if he /she or it doesn't . What would that change for you?
I cannot answer the "change". He does exist. I cannot explain that to you and I don't believe anyone can explain it. It's something you must personally experience to know He exists. There was a time when I never gave God any thought. Then one day without anyones prompting, He just quietly came into my life. I won't even attempt to explain that because once you know it, you know it, but if you don't, you don't. It's like loving your spouse. You can say you love the way they look and act but you can say that about a lot of people that you just "like". Can anyone truly explain to you why they actually LOVE their spouse over all the other people in their lives? It works with hatred as well. Sometimes you meet someone you take an instant dis-like to and even you have no idea what it is. You just know they irk you. Feelings usually cannot be explained. Personally, my feelings regarding God are my own. Yours are your own. It's not my job to try to change them. Some people feel it is their job to convert people and I'm a non believer in that. Jesus said - When you pray, do it in private. That's what I do. Not that I don't and never have participated in group prayer. I do believe in the power of prayer and I also know that we don't get the answer we hope for in every prayer. I actually find that I get more from the little things I pray for. Things that are truly important to my personal self than to anyone else and not even really anything I could say to you that would mean anything to you or to anyone else either. I should have just written "There is no explanation" and left it at that.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't understand. What has being a Liberal or a Conservative or NDP got to do with believing in God? I know your ref. is to Harper and his belief in God but lots of Liberals also believe in God.:smile:
The answer, "the only god". Is an extremely rightwing thing to say. I actually have to agree with joey on his assertion that those in the far right, are devout Christians. Whereas most Liberals tend to be soft religious types. Or stifle their religious feelings for fame and power. In either case, the claim of there being one god is at best arrogant, at worst ignorant.

So I guess I stand corrected, exposing ignorance like that, he could very well be a Liberal...:lol:

Asl Sir Pompass. He'd likely say that in order to be a right-wing nut like a conservative, you'd have to be religious. It wouldn't compute for a liberal to be religious. lol
With joey, it just doesn't compute period.