It's Official - Sidney Crosby's an Idiot

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Crosby is stating the truth in some respects. The owners of the teams did not restrain themselves
and they ended up with an imbalance. Most ended up becoming victims of their own arrogance.
For one thing, the players might well have accepted the deal of fifty fifty if they honored the current
agreements until they expired.
This time I side with the players for the most part, the owners got what they deserved and now they
are going to pay for their mistakes.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What's idiotic about that? The NHL is not broke. They are greedy. If they want to make more money, cut out Betman's wet dream franchises like Phoenix and Carolina and Tampa Bay and focus more on the US north and Canada. Instead they want to ram something down the throats of the players. Not that they aren't also greedy little bast-ards too. Billionaires fighting with Millionaires.

The owner's won't really start negotiating until January when they start losing NBC TV revenue. The players know this. Don't expect any resolution until the winter.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Sid is being an idiot. I don't even know why this KID is on the players' executive other than being the league's top star these days. He has no experience or education in business and has not really paid his dues in time invested in the league yet. The NHLPA is shooting itself in the foot by putting him in the position and he is making it worth shooting his mouth of like a moron. If the system wasn't broken we wouldn't have half the teams losing money every year. Don't these guys realize sustainability should be forefront in their consideration of bargaining positions.

Crosby is stating the truth in some respects. The owners of the teams did not restrain themselves
and they ended up with an imbalance. Most ended up becoming victims of their own arrogance.
For one thing, the players might well have accepted the deal of fifty fifty if they honored the current
agreements until they expired.
This time I side with the players for the most part, the owners got what they deserved and now they
are going to pay for their mistakes.

The league is offering to maintain existing contracts.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
and they ended up with an imbalance.

Correction, some owners didn't restrain themselves. The only way the smart owners can restrain the idiot owners is through collective bargaining. To do it outside the agreement would be collusion.

What's idiotic about that? The NHL is not broke.

Twelve teams made money last year and eighteen teams did not. The system is clearly broken when over half the league is losing money. If you magically moved PHX, CAR and TBY to profitable locations, you would still have half the teams losing money.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sid is being an idiot. I don't even know why this KID is on the players' executive other than being the league's top star these days. He has no experience or education in business and has not really paid his dues in time invested in the league yet. The NHLPA is shooting itself in the foot by putting him in the position and he is making it worth shooting his mouth of like a moron. If the system wasn't broken we wouldn't have half the teams losing money every year. Don't these guys realize sustainability should be forefront in their consideration of bargaining positions.

The league is offering to maintain existing contracts.

The system was broken the moment Bets and the Owners decided to prop up teams who couldn't raise sufficient revenues of their own to support their teams. That is just illogical. They gave it a try.......it obviously hasn't worked........get rid of those teams or send them North to Canada where we actually have hockey fans.

Correction, some owners didn't restrain themselves. The only way the smart owners can restrain the idiot owners is through collective bargaining. To do it outside the agreement would be collusion.

Twelve teams made money last year and eighteen teams did not. The system is clearly broken when over half the league is losing money. If you magically moved PHX, CAR and TBY to profitable locations, you would still have half the teams losing money.

Well that just tells me that those teams need to go too. Get the league back to a reasonable size. There would still be enough teams to make it interesting and more fans might actually start watching some of the regular season games.

I tried to catch every single game I could last season and I still missed a bunch of them.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The system was broken the moment Bets and the Owners decided to prop up teams who couldn't raise sufficient revenues of their own to support their teams. That is just illogical. They gave it a try.......it obviously hasn't worked........get rid of those teams or send them North to Canada where we actually have hockey fans.

Let's not confuse issues. The move to non traditional markets was an attempt to grow the game and get a network TV deal. It has, for the most part failed. So? Where do we go from here. The league should be cut down to 24 teams. CAR, FLA, TBY, NJD, CBJ, ANA, NSH PHO all need to go and two of them can be moved to Canada. That can't happen without approval of the players as they would fight the elimination of 150 jobs.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
What's idiotic about that? The NHL is not broke. They are greedy. If they want to make more money, cut out Betman's wet dream franchises like Phoenix and Carolina and Tampa Bay and focus more on the US north and Canada. Instead they want to ram something down the throats of the players. Not that they aren't also greedy little bast-ards too. Billionaires fighting with Millionaires.

The owner's won't really start negotiating until January when they start losing NBC TV revenue. The players know this. Don't expect any resolution until the winter.

It's the owners that put up 100% of the risk capital to purchase/operate the team.

If the NHLPA wants to be compensated as a direct % of the revenues; then assume a risk position in the venture and don't expect to have any guaranteed salary/contract.

They can take the 'X' % of their share and split it among themselves.. Ofcourse, this would result in the players in AZ and NC getting next to nothing for their efforts

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The main problem with the N.H.L. is they think it's all about them. I bet for every job there, there are 4 or 5 spin off jobs- like zamboni operator, hot dog vendor, motel owner, hockey equipment manufactures etc. etc. etc. who are going hungry and no one gives a sh*t about.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The fact is the teams in non profitable markets have to move and America is not going
to make hockey on top of their entertainment list especially in southern markets.
The idea is the same as trying to draw cricket crowds to games outside in January.
Forget it, we should have northern US teams, more Canadian teams and then open
the road to a European division of the league.
If I were the players I would hold out too the non profitable owners are going to have to sell
to someone if this keeps up.
most owners believed the players would cave in and that is not happening the owners appear
to be looking for answers they are losing too much especially the profitable teams and the
cracks are beginning to appear. The players they are not budging so far at all.;

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The main problem with the N.H.L. is they think it's all about them. I bet for every job there, there are 4 or 5 spin off jobs- like zamboni operator, hot dog vendor, motel owner, hockey equipment manufactures etc. etc. etc. who are going hungry and no one gives a sh*t about.

Don't get me started on the equipment manufacturers. Ever since my oldest boy played AAA bantam I have had issues with them. In the last 4 years he played we spent $2500 on sticks and about $4000 on skates and other gear meanwhile all the millionaires get all they want for free. I was not happy about subsidizing guys making hundreds of thousands and more every year.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Don't get me started on the equipment manufacturers. Ever since my oldest boy played AAA bantam I have had issues with them. In the last 4 years he played we spent $2500 on sticks and about $4000 on skates and other gear meanwhile all the millionaires get all they want for free. I was not happy about subsidizing guys making hundreds of thousands and more every year.

Yep, the outfit should go in the recycling bin and Bettman to the landfill!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

Costs would be extremely high to accommodate that kind of travel. In addition, the European league(s) have really not taken-off the same way as the North American league.

The public's support just isn't there in the same manner (read: revenues) as evidenced by all of the teams selling advertising space on the players' jerseys.

If I were the players I would hold out too the non profitable owners are going to have to sell
to someone if this keeps up.
most owners believed the players would cave in and that is not happening the owners appear
to be looking for answers they are losing too much especially the profitable teams and the
cracks are beginning to appear. The players they are not budging so far at all.;

Who in their right mind would buy an NHL team that is losing money hand over fist and has labor troubles?

The fact is the system is broken. Sid's an idiot.

No doubt.

Sid is losing 7 figures a year in direct salary and likely a pail of cash on the endorsements

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

OK I'm on board with Northern US and Canadian teams but really the list of cities that could and would support a team is small, particularly in Canada. Yes we love our game but its a big business that places like Quebec City can't keep up with. And why would you want to open a Euro division and deal with all the logistical headaches involved in travel and timezones? Its bad enough on one continent, never mind adding on another one...

As for Sid being an idiot, I don't think he's any more an idiot than any other player: they ALL think that the owners are making enough and the players deserve a bigger cut than what is on the table.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Costs would be extremely high to accommodate that kind of travel. In addition, the European league(s) have really not taken-off the same way as the North American league.

The public's support just isn't there in the same manner (read: revenues) as evidenced by all of the teams selling advertising space on the players' jerseys.

It's twenty bucks to go to a Modo game in the Swedish Elite League and they play in a 7600 seat arena (the KHL only has 3 arenas over 12,000 and 14 under 7500). There is no evidence to suggest Europeans are prepared to pay NHL ticket prices or build NHL sized arenas. A European division is a pipe dream

As for Sid being an idiot, I don't think he's any more an idiot than any other player: they ALL think that the owners are making enough and the players deserve a bigger cut than what is on the table.

He's an idiot because he says the system isn't broke.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Sid is losing 7 figures a year in direct salary and likely a pail of cash on the endorsements

I really don't care if Crosby or the other players ever earn another dime playing hockey,and I don't care if the owners all go bankrupt. The only sympathy I have in this fight is for the arena staff and part-timers making an average wage or less. There are far more of those people affected more severely than the players or owners.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I really don't care if Crosby or the other players ever earn another dime playing hockey,and I don't care if the owners all go bankrupt. The only sympathy I have in this fight is for the arena staff and part-timers making an average wage or less. There are far more of those people affected more severely than the players or owners.

I don't disagree, but I will say this: It's the owners that put up all the cash and take all the risk in this deal. None of the arena staff would have those jobs if the ownership didn't take the chance in the first place.