It's Official - Sidney Crosby's an Idiot

PoliticalNick
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

bure was much more talented than linden, a very gifted skater, and goal scorer,
he could handle and control the puck at top speed better than any other player
I had seen, no comparison to linden, who was a very hard worker, a very good player,
a very valuable player to the team, and contributed at a high level all of his career,
but no, he did not have the skills of bure, nowhere near, and a totally different type
of player.

linden won't ever be put in the NHL hockey hall of fame.

While I agree Bure had much more raw talent Linden had the heart of a champion which was lacking in Pavel. That heart, leadership, his work with the NHLPA and the fact he carried the team to the finals in 94 will get Trevor into the hall. He was a warrior, had the 'iron man' streak for a few years in a time when the game was rougher and should be recognized.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

While I agree Bure had much more raw talent Linden had the heart of a champion which was lacking in Pavel. That heart, leadership, his work with the NHLPA and the fact he carried the team to the finals in 94 will get Trevor into the hall. He was a warrior, had the 'iron man' streak for a few years in a time when the game was rougher and should be recognized.

Being a Medicine Hat Tigers fan, I'm a huge Linden fan. He should not be in the HOF. People don't make it into the hall based on intangibles like "heart". His numbers were simply not HOF numbers.

captain morgan

they allready made an agreement long ago to do revenue sharing. this negotiations has seen the sharing
cut back to 50% each, but there is much more to all of this than 'that'.

the responsibilities the NHLPA have to the care of players is much more than demanding a share of profits,
so check into the complex agreements between the NHL and the NHLPA, its not a simple agreement to share
profits, much much more than that.

Players have had to give up a share of their annual pay for a long time according to how the profits
are doing for the NHL, there is a name for that part of their relationship, can't remember.

I can't comment on any information that may relate to an agreement that was signed before, and supercedes the CBA.

IF such an agreement exists and does supercede the CBA, I would expect that the NHLPA would have had this in a court within hours of the lock-out

As far as the responsibilities that the NHLPA assumes on behalf of its players, well, that is something between the Players Association and its members - it has no impact on the position that the owners will take in this situation.

I do recall that there was some mention that the players would have to put a certain amount of cash from their salary in escrow to potentially 'adjust' for any end-of-year anomalies. That said, I do believe that it was a discussion point that was thrown-in by the ownership at the point when the PA forwarded a rebuttal (contract) to the owner's contract offering... I don't believe that a mechanism like that would be a smart move by the PA, but that's my personal opinion

JLM

I tend to agree, Nick, Bure may have had better statistics (and I've stated my opinion of them) but Linden was the better man.-

talloola
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

The league and the players have never agreed to share profits. I'm sure the league would take that in a heartbeat over revenue sharing. I don't think the players would be so eager.

your'e right, I meant revenue sharing, not profit sharing.

Being a Medicine Hat Tigers fan, I'm a huge Linden fan. He should not be in the HOF. People don't make it into the hall based on intangibles like "heart". His numbers were simply not HOF numbers.

thats right, he doesn't have the numbers.

no, he doesn't have the numbers to get into the hall. The game was rough back then, but slower, and
the speed along with the hitting in the game today, in my opinion make the game much tougher.
The hits that are happening at high speed are getting to the point of scary, not clutching, grabbing
punching and holding, just high velocity hitting that is resulting in lots of injuries.

Mowich
+1

The fact is the system is broken. Sid's an idiot.

Yeah, yeah..........Sid's an idiot...........I think we got the point with your first post. Call him whatever you want, Cannuck..........it won't change the fact that Sidney is still one of the most exciting players in the league today. The fact is that idiot or not?...............the Kid draws huge crowds wherever he plays. I'm not a fan of Sid's because he is a riveting speaker, I am fan because he is a fabulous hockey player.

damngrumpy
+1
The owners came back with an offer that I am glad the players turned down.
The owners seriously under estimated the iron will of the players union and
they are getting some of their own right back. The players were encouraged
to sign big deals and favorable terms at the expense of smaller markets and
the owners thought they could spread their ego over the land and make the
game of hockey king in the desert.
Not true, hockey will never catch on down south in depth. The only time you
might see glimmer of progress is if there is a cup winner down in the swamps.
Nope if there is a show down get it over with, force the marginal guys out of the
game and bring the teams north, Seattle is looking and there are others, and
there are some Canadian Cities that could use a team as well.
Gary Bettman could be the casualty in this thing let us hope so. I never saw a
man in sports I liked less with the exception of Sandusky.

talloola
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

The owners came back with an offer that I am glad the players turned down.
The owners seriously under estimated the iron will of the players union and
they are getting some of their own right back. The players were encouraged
to sign big deals and favorable terms at the expense of smaller markets and
the owners thought they could spread their ego over the land and make the
game of hockey king in the desert.
Not true, hockey will never catch on down south in depth. The only time you
might see glimmer of progress is if there is a cup winner down in the swamps.
Nope if there is a show down get it over with, force the marginal guys out of the
game and bring the teams north, Seattle is looking and there are others, and
there are some Canadian Cities that could use a team as well.
Gary Bettman could be the casualty in this thing let us hope so. I never saw a
man in sports I liked less with the exception of Sandusky.

we thought bettman was on his way out over a year ago, then they signed him to a new
$8 million per year contract. How on earth do all of those owners, who have to prop
up those pitiful teams in cities where gary put them, and it isn't working, one would
think the owners would have been eager to bring in someone else who would see the NHL
with more vision, but no that is not the case.
The NHL were sure the assoc would cave in by now, but this needs to be done fairly for
both sides, not just one, the assoc now, have a leader at the helm who is just as savvy
as bettman, who can stand up there and meet him at a level that is deep and experienced,
so bettman has his work cut out and he can't 'spin' his way to deals that won't be good
for 'just' the NHL, but has to be fair for the players as well.
hockey is coming to seattle when they finish that wonderful building, which will also bring back basketball to that city.
Quebec, I would assume is also getting ready for a team again, and i'm sure there will be
another team in southern ontario, but the NHL is making sure they put the owner 'they want',
there, as it will be another gold mine, like toronto.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

Yeah, yeah..........Sid's an idiot...........I think we got the point with your first post. Call him whatever you want, Cannuck..........it won't change the fact that Sidney is still one of the most exciting players in the league today. The fact is that idiot or not?...............the Kid draws huge crowds wherever he plays. I'm not a fan of Sid's because he is a riveting speaker, I am fan because he is a fabulous hockey player.

Consider the source-

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I tend to agree, Nick, Bure may have had better statistics (and I've stated my opinion of them) but Linden was the better man.-

Linden was a different man, not an immigrant. It is very difficult for someone who doesn't speak
english to come and fit in immediately, that is why bure and odjeck, (sp?) ended up as best buddies.
They both were minorities, they both had difficulty with the language, and although linden was a
fantastic guy, the obvious golden boy that all of vancouver loved, bure was a quieter person, who
wasn't totally comfortable in the public eye, kept more to himself.

how does that make him a lesser man, he thrilled the fans, he was nothing like anyone the canucks
had ever seen, he was a true super star, talent coming out of his pores, he loved the game just as
much as linden, he was spicy, and yes, he left the team, but the undercurrent of the reason for him
leaving was pat quinn who had stepped away from a deal, and wouldn't honor his promise and
bure had no respect for that, and asked to be moved.

they were both good men, most hockey players are very good men, humble, polite and very aware of
where they came from, and they don't forget to look back and help out.

JLM

Linden was a different man, not an immigrant. It is very difficult for someone who doesn't speak
english to come and fit in immediately, that is why bure and odjeck, (sp?) ended up as best buddies.
They both were minorities, they both had difficulty with the language, and although linden was a
fantastic guy, the obvious golden boy that all of vancouver loved, bure was a quieter person, who
wasn't totally comfortable in the public eye, kept more to himself.

how does that make him a lesser man, he thrilled the fans, he was nothing like anyone the canucks
had ever seen, he was a true super star, talent coming out of his pores, he loved the game just as
much as linden, he was spicy, and yes, he left the team, but the undercurrent of the reason for him
leaving was pat quinn who had stepped away from a deal, and wouldn't honor his promise and
bure had no respect for that, and asked to be moved.

they were both good men, most hockey players are very good men, humble, polite and very aware of
where they came from, and they don't forget to look back and help out.

I hear you Talloola, Linden has always been a favourite of mine, I've just always felt he edged Bure on work ethic.

Mowich
+1

[/FONT]

Consider the source-

I know, I know..............my temper got the best of me.

talloola
+1

I hear you Talloola, Linden has always been a favourite of mine, I've just always felt he edged Bure on work ethic.

If linden didn't have the work ethic he did, he would have been an average player, bure got much more
done in the way of points, and flash and dash, and speed, 'not' having to be that constant working
type player, he was an offensive threat every time he stepped on the ice, always ready for the race
down the ice, and he was also a very brave and tough player, who was targeted by other teams, and
always ready to target back, his eyes flashed as he roared around the ice, he was always in high
gear, not a floater ever, but always ready for that pass that would send him away.
I like linden just like everyone else did, but he wasn't a super star, he was
the worker, he was big, he took care of business in his own way.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

I know, I know..............my temper got the best of me.

[/FONT]

Yep, I was through that stage too, now I just write it up to childishness.................he ain't going to change-