Warrant: Girl was tortured for dating the wrong boy

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1070748.html

A 14-year-old Dartmouth girl was allegedly tortured for several hours in a Marilyn Drive home because she and one of her attackers were both interested in the same boy, a search warrant suggests.

The warrant, obtained Thursday by The Chronicle Herald, was filed June 17 by Det. Const. Tanya Chambers, a Halifax Regional Police investigator looking into the June 14 incident in Dartmouth.

"The informant (Det. Const. Chambers) learned from interviewing the victim that the reason for the assault was that (one of the accused girls) and the victim . . . had both been dating the same boy . . . and that the victim felt (the girl) was jealous of her," Det. Const. Chambers wrote in the document.

The 14-year-old was burned several times with cigarettes, thrown down a set of stairs, beaten with a mop handle and punched in the face and had much of her hair cut off.

Five teenagers were each charged with aggravated assault, assault causing bodily harm, uttering a death threat, unlawful confinement and two counts of assault with a weapon.

The girl and the five accused all know one another.

One 17-year-old boy has pleaded not guilty to those charges and to kidnapping. His trial is set for Feb. 23-24.

A second 17-year-old boy is due back in court Sept. 7. And two girls, 15 and 13, return to court Sept. 4 to enter pleas. Neither the minors nor the complainant can be named because of their ages.

On Thursday in Dartmouth provincial court, the only adult charged in the case pleaded guilty to one count of assaulting the girl with a mop handle. Brandon Weare, 18, returns to court Sept. 19 for sentencing. The other four charges against him will also be dealt with that day. He’ll remain in custody until then.

In the information to obtain the warrant, Det. Const. Chambers said police had reasonable grounds to believe that scissors, cut hair, white sneakers with pink bottoms, broom handles, cigarette butts, a damaged cellphone and a knife used to cut a sneaker would be found at the Marilyn Drive home.

According to the warrant, police seized several items at the home: a hammer, a knife used to cut the girl’s sneakers, blood droplets on the kitchen floor and on cardboard and a tissue in the kitchen, a mop and broken handle, hair on the bathroom floor and in the toilet, and a piece of paper in the entryway bearing the last name of one of the accused. Police also seized a bottle of cleaner, a sneaker and the sole and other parts of a sneaker.

A cellphone and cigarette butts were also found in the garbage and other cigarette butts were found throughout the home.

The girl suffered numerous injuries to her face, head and arms. She was taken to Dartmouth General Hospital, where she was treated and released.

On June 14, Halifax Regional Police received a call from the alleged victim’s mother, who said that her daughter had been assaulted in the area of Gaston Road, the warrant said.

Two police officers went to the girl’s residence and one accompanied the injured girl in an ambulance to Dartmouth General. During an audiotaped interview at the hospital, the complainant told officers she had gone to the Marilyn Drive home at about 12 noon that day. The five accused were also there.

The victim told police she had only been in the home for a few minutes when two girls began hitting her in the face with their fists. One of the girls also burned her several times with cigarettes, the warrant said.

The victim said the two girls threw her down the stairs from the main level of the house to the basement while Mr. Weare looked on, doing nothing to prevent the assault.

During her statement to Det. Const. Chambers and Det. Const. Johnathan Jefferies, the girl also disclosed that Mr. Weare and one of the girls had pinned her down in the bathroom while the second girl cut her hair off with scissors and put the hair in a garbage bag.

"The informant noted that (the complainant’s) hair seemed to be cut unevenly to her ear as if it had been chopped off," Det. Const. Chambers wrote. "(The complainant) told the informant that her hair had been below shoulder length prior to the assault."

The victim told the officers one of the girls threatened to kill her if she told police about the incident. And three of the accused, the girl said, stood in front of the exits to prevent her from escaping the assault.

"The informant can state that she personally viewed swelling to the (victim’s) left side of her face as well as several blister marks on her arms that appear to have been caused by cigarette burns (small circular burn pattern)," Det. Const. Chambers wrote.

When the victim tried to call 911 on her cellphone, one of the girls grabbed it and handed it to Mr. Weare, who smashed it on the floor, the document said.

The victim alleged the suspects took her white sneakers with pink soles, cut up one of them with a knife and put the other one in the toilet.

After the assault, the girl left the Marilyn Drive home with her attackers and headed to Mr. Weare’s Galaxy Avenue residence, before she walked home in her bare feet with one of the boys who was later charged.

I am so fk'n sick and tired of this **** happening around here. These fk'n punk ass kids, esspecially the ones from Dartmouth, are so fokked in their heads, have no god damn compassion for anything or anyone besides themselves.

And this is what these fok heads do around here.... they get several people to gang up on one person, attempt to humiliate them as much as they can, beat them, burn them, threaten to kill them if they goto the police.... just basic all around punk ass thugs.

I personally already had an encounter a couple of years ago with idiots like this.... it didn't last long and they got it a lot worse then I..... but they all think they're so fokkin cool by getting their thug ass friends to beat someone up for them.... jezus they don't even have the decency to fight their own battles alone anymore.

Chances are, if they did, they'd be dead somewhere with their heads smashed on a curb, because none of these punks know how to deal with anything on their own anymore.....

I swear, if these dorks get off easy, the community is going to flip, and there's gonna be some serious vigilante justice starting up, and then the police are really gonna have their hands full.

There has been way too many "Swarm" attacks within the HRM, way too many people being robbed at knife point in areas that never were a problem before, the old lady beaten with metal table legs by two teenaged girls, the other girl who was beaten up by people she thought were her friends, who burned her in a similar way, smashed her face up badly, and disconected her eye socket from the amount of beating they did to her, some 12 year old boy a few weeks ago was beaten and robbed for his money by a bigger and older kid, in which the cops eventually caught..... Enough is enough....

WTF are the parents doing? Picking the corn out of their arses while their kids thug it out on the streets? Is this what it's like all over Canada, or is it just happening here?

That last example of the kid getting beaten up and robbed, the mother said she was glad the cops arrested him, because he was so out of control...... Well if you did your god damn job of parenting in the first place, this sort of crap might not have occured.

I think people in here are right.... society has gone to absolute sh*t in a hand basket, and if these are the dorks who are going to take over the world after my generation, we might as well nuke the whole planet to save ourselves the trouble.

Why the hell can't these crazy murderers who behead people on buses kill the right people for once? Put them to some good use.... send them after arseholes like this, scare the crap out of everybody else and set their arses straight.

*Venting Complete - We now return you to your regular program.*

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you lived on today's media diet, would you think that you had any choice but to follow a tough swarm? Yeah, yeah, jaded I know and I'll probably feel differently tomorrow if Prax will lighten up with his damn posting pattern, but, it's no wonder these teens live scared and pack knives with them everywhere they go. It's no wonder they think they need to establish themselves as alpha dog. Frick.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
If you lived on today's media diet, would you think that you had any choice but to follow a tough swarm? Yeah, yeah, jaded I know and I'll probably feel differently tomorrow if Prax will lighten up with his damn posting pattern, but, it's no wonder these teens live scared and pack knives with them everywhere they go. It's no wonder they think they need to establish themselves as alpha dog. Frick.

Why because it's the cool thing to do and everybody's doing it? I grew up during the end of the Cold War, the Gulf War, Bosnia, all the tragedies that occured between 1980 and the 90's.... and there wasn't as much of a level of violence in youth then as there is today.

The reason, is because the Youth Protection BS has failed, the kids all know about how the system works, and they all know their records are going to be wiped clean when they hit 18..... so they commit these crimes to be cool.... plain and simple.

That's not an assumption, that's how it is here.... ask any kid around here and that's what they do. They commit a crime as bad as they can make it, it makes it into the news, then they say to their buddies "That was me" tell them some additional details of the crime that wasn't released in the media and then all of a sudden they're cool and they get into their gangs so they can continue to have their little fun at other people's expenses.... or they'll gang up and beat someone who has very little chance of defending themselves, because they were disrespected or some other stupid lame ass excuse.

This has been going on for quite some time now, and the kids are abusing the system that's supposed to protect them, they know it, and they don't care. They'll be out in a couple of months, get their cool criminal rep to make them sound all tough, even though on their own, they'd be crippled in a ditch somewhere..... and when they hit 18, their criminal records are sealed and wiped clean, as though nothing ever happened.

My personal issue is with the Youth Justice system and with the parents who don't have the balls to dicipline their children anymore and let them get away with bloody murder.

This girl dating some boy that another girl was dating was no justification for what was done to her, and if I had my way, they'd all be charged as adults. You want to commit an adult crime, you can do the adult time...... and you can learn the hard way

(Not "You" Karrie, but the kids in question)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
WTF are the parents doing? Picking the corn out of their arses while their kids thug it out on the streets? Is this what it's like all over Canada, or is it just happening here?

That last example of the kid getting beaten up and robbed, the mother said she was glad the cops arrested him, because he was so out of control...... Well if you did your god damn job of parenting in the first place, this sort of crap might not have occured.

ROFLMAO.......priceless...this from a moron that has no kids and has NO idea what it is like in todays society to raise kids.

Keep it up, I can't wait till you have teens. That's sure to be a kick in the teeth for you.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You sound sorta like you're arguing with me, but, you're just kind of proving my point... they want a rep as some crazy ass hardened criminal. I think the only place we differ is that I think there's a bit more to it (not even necessarily a conscious bit) than just looking cool. I think it's partly that deep down they think they need to be feared in order to not end up a victim.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My personal issue is with the Youth Justice system and with the parents who don't have the balls to dicipline their children anymore and let them get away with bloody murder.

and what "discipline" would you recomend , oh wise one.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Now Prax, I'd like to point out violent crime rates amongst youth are not on some amazing rise fueling new gangs etc.

gang violence sure as hell was around in the 80's and 90's, much as it is today. Goes back to the 50's, hell was worse then.

But even back then, and today, a vast majority of people never had even the most remote run in with it. Think about it, thats one of a handful of incidents in 30 million people?

How many millions of kids lead normal non-attempted murder filled lives for every 4 or 5 that do something disgusting like that?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
ROFLMAO.......priceless...this from a moron that has no kids and has NO idea what it is like in todays society to raise kids.

Keep it up, I can't wait till you have teens. That's sure to be a kick in the teeth for you.

And you're a brainless twit who's never got a damn thing to say about a topic except your two cents on other members.

Oh... I have no idea what it's like to be a parent? That's a wonderful and profound justification for their actions..... idiot.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
You sound sorta like you're arguing with me, but, you're just kind of proving my point... they want a rep as some crazy ass hardened criminal. I think the only place we differ is that I think there's a bit more to it (not even necessarily a conscious bit) than just looking cool. I think it's partly that deep down they think they need to be feared in order to not end up a victim.

I'm not arguing with you on your points, I'm just focusing more on the issues which cause what we both somewhat agree on.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Now Prax, I'd like to point out violent crime rates amongst youth are not on some amazing rise fueling new gangs etc.

gang violence sure as hell was around in the 80's and 90's, much as it is today. Goes back to the 50's, hell was worse then.

But even back then, and today, a vast majority of people never had even the most remote run in with it. Think about it, thats one of a handful of incidents in 30 million people?

How many millions of kids lead normal non-attempted murder filled lives for every 4 or 5 that do something disgusting like that?

I agree with much of what you say, and I am aware that gangs have been around for some time now.... I am not sure what it is like where you or others live, but the situation here in the HRM in the last 8 or so years has been increasing in the amount of these situations occuring involving youths, and they're getting worse and worse each year.

If you have heard or read much of the input from others who live here over the last number of years, be that in the news on the TV, the Internet, on the radio, or just around the water cooler, the majority of the community here is beyond fed up with how little control the police and parents seem to have around here. People are screaming and more angry then I am on the radio in the morning.... bleeping out their own swearing, back to back comments from angry residents, who used to walk down their neighborhoods at night and never have to worry about anything.... now they won't even leave their homes because of crap like this.

And just talking with a co-worker on my break, who is the same age as myself, she made a good point:

People are worried about our generation not having kids to fill in the gaps left by the babyboomers, that we're having less children in our family househols, people are waiting longer to have kids, etc... but as she said, who the hell wants to bring up and raise a kid in this sort of environment just to suit society's capitalist objectives?

In all honesty, there's no reasons currently that I see for wanting to bring a kid into this sort of environment.

Is it worse in other countries and areas of the world? Most certainly.... that doesn't make the situation around here any better mind you.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Pax ... this rotten kid story could be about you. Your fight club attitude and the way you treat people online is no better so WTF gives you the right to think you're any better than that punker trash?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Re-write the Youth Justice system.... give parents back their abilities to dicipline their children.... for starters...... oh no-input one.

YOU were blaming parents...

with the parents who don't have the balls to dicipline their children anymore and let them get away with bloody murder

Obviously, with your YEARS of experience raising kids, you can let he rest of us parents know what "discipline" you are talking about.

YOU made the statement, now back it up.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Pax ... this rotten kid story could be about you. Your fight club attitude and the way you treat people online is no better so WTF gives you the right to think you're any better than that punker trash?

Are you serious?

Yes, I go and take you and burn you with ciggs, I cut your hair and chuck you down a flight of stairs..... hell, look out, I might cut your head off too and dangle it around for all to see while I'm at it...... yeah, great comparison.

I use words and freedom of speech to express my "God Given" opinion, just as anybody else is permitted to do in here..... I don't go around beating people up, cutting heads off, torturing people and threatening to kill them.

Just because I'm straight forward with how I express myself, doesn't make me a murderer or a gang thug beating people up.

Text Bitching One another Online without threats = Physically Burning, beating, threatening with death someone directly in real life...... great comparison.

Oh and news flash: I don't need to be your buddy to debate, nor do I have to kiss your arse.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Are you serious?

Yes, I go and take you and burn you with ciggs, I cut your hair and chuck you down a flight of stairs..... hell, look out, I might cut your head off too and dangle it around for all to see while I'm at it...... yeah, great comparison.

I use words and freedom of speech to express my "God Given" opinion, just as anybody else is permitted to do in here..... I don't go around beating people up, cutting heads off, torturing people and threatening to kill them.

Just because I'm straight forward with how I express myself, doesn't make me a murderer or a gang thug beating people up.

Text Bitching One another Online without threats = Physically Burning, beating, threatening with death someone directly in real life...... great comparison.

Oh and news flash: I don't need to be your buddy to debate, nor do I have to kiss your arse.

Name-calling and verbal abuse, chiding us idiots for wasting your time and harassing for not agreeing with you, claiming ownership of a thread's contents because you originally posted it (in search of like-mindedness?) is the way a mature person acts? I have never looked for an ass-kisser. I am not a yes man and I sure as hell wouldn't want you as a buddy. They're the people I can trust enough to walk behind me with a loaded gun.

BTW ... you just proved my point.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Everybody snaps online sometimes. I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. I've seen you tear people down too wolf. It's rare, but I've seen it. You may feel justified in it because of the person's behavior... goodness knows the slighted girl who did this felt justified too. I know you wouldn't want someone jumping up and comparing you to a torture artist because of it. Let's be fair now.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Everybody snaps online sometimes. I don't think that's a fair comparison at all. I've seen you tear people down too wolf. It's rare, but I've seen it. You may feel justified in it because of the person's behavior... goodness knows the slighted girl who did this felt justified too. I know you wouldn't want someone jumping up and comparing you to a torture artist because of it. Let's be fair now.

Agreed ... on all personal counts.

I can see where the girl was justified in a good ol' cat fight ... but kidnap? Gang assault? Torture? These are kids completely out of control. Why? Kids have no respect. They know their rights ... and how parental rights mean absolutely nothing. I don't hold with child abuse - nor do I hold with some theory that says my kid will be traumatized if I spank his/her butt.

My kids are 31, 25 and 24 and they got their butts smacked when really needed. I can count the number of times it happened without taking my shoes off ... and they'll tell you the same as me: They learned limits.

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
YOU were blaming parents...

I blame the parents who don't do anything, let alone care what their kids do. Those who at least try to keep their kids on the right path, teach their kids proper morals and not afraid to dicipline their children in the face of their kids' threats of child services if they don't get what they want, I have great respect for.

Those who just shrug their shoulders when their kids do something like this and just wait for the system to catch up to them (When that system can't even do anything to them in the first place) I have no respect for.

Obviously, with your YEARS of experience raising kids, you can let he rest of us parents know what "discipline" you are talking about.

YOU made the statement, now back it up.

Case in point:

The father a few months ago attempted to ground his daughter due to having low marks and trying to date some guy who wasn't even in school anymore due to his age.... he decided that if her marks wern't good enough, she wouldn't be able to go on her little trip to Quebec..... she ran off with her mother to the courts and the courts over turned his decision as a parent and forced him to let her go on the trip, even though she never met her obligation.

The father, I have respect for, for at least attempting to properly dicipline his daughter.... the mother who fought his decision and made a mockery of parenting and parent's authority, I have no respect for.

Once again, the Youth Justice System need a serious overhaul, tougher penalties, the child's criminal record stays with them, and when they do commit a serious crime such as the above or even worse, they should be tried as adults.

As it goes for parents, I personally feel they need to collectively fight to get their rights back to the level in which their children can see them as an authority figure once again, not just their best friend.

Of course there's always boot camp.

Want another example:

McEvoy inquiry seeks changes to youth justice act
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...205/mcevoy_inquiry_061205/20061205?hub=Canada

Theresa McEvoy, a 52-year-old teacher's aide and mother of three, died instantly Oct. 14, 2004 when a stolen car driven by Archie Billard, 16, crashed into her vehicle at high speed.

Billard, described throughout the report as a "troubled boy,'' had tried to evade police and was high on drugs at the time.

The 11-month inquiry focused on why Billard was released from custody two days before the fatal crash despite the fact he was facing 27 charges related to previous car thefts.

Want another:

Details emerge in vicious N.S. teen beating
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...tmouth_beating_070928/20070928?hub=TopStories

Disturbing details are emerging in the case of an 18-year-old Nova Scotia woman who was terrorized for hours behind a Dartmouth school last week.

The woman was beaten beyond recognition on Sept. 20, sustaining a fractured eye socket, broken nose and multiple cigarette burns to her face, ears and tongue.

According to newspaper accounts, the victim had managed to run away two hours into the assault, while her attackers took a cigarette break.

She rang the doorbell of Halifax resident Dave Wilson's home for help.

"A scale from one to ten, I'd rate this as a beating around an eight. That's how bad she was looking," Wilson said.

Want another:

2 teen girls sentenced for beating senior in park
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2008/02/04/beating-sentence.html

Williams pointed out the girls, along with another girl, attacked a completely innocent woman who was walking through the Halifax Common, beat her and only stopped when a passerby intervened.

She said the fact the attackers covered their faces with bandanas implied premeditation.
The two teenagers sat quietly in youth court Monday. They stared at the floor for most of the hour-and-a-half it took the judge to hand down the sentences.

The 66-year-old victim did not appear in court. Her husband was there, but refused to comment on the judge's decision.

The woman suffered a broken rib and severe bruising in the Aug. 27 attack.

Some more you say?:

Halifax swarmings worry police, business owners
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2005/03/18/halifax-swarming050318.html

Business owners on Halifax's most popular shopping street are planning to buy outdoor video cameras after a series of swarmings and muggings.

There have been 12 attacks in downtown Halifax, the city's north end and neighbouring Dartmouth since March 9.

Police believe the same group of about six youths are involved in the attacks. They usually target a lone victim and happen late at night.

Now the local business association on Spring Garden Road says it will help pay to install camera equipment.

Seriously, it's gotten so bad, that we now have the Guardian Angels here patrolling the streets:

Guardian Angels founder meets with Halifax mayor
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071102/guardian_angels_071102?s_name=&no_ads=

Sliwa met with Halifax Mayor Peter Kelly Friday before touring local areas that have been recent scenes of crime.

Recent assaults at the Halifax Commons have prompted calls for a larger police presence and more patrols in the area.

So I'm not just presenting this debate just because I want to finger point as paticular people.... this is an actual problem here in the HRM... I could go and track down more cases involving youth crimes here, but I could do that forever.

The stats here in the HRM has shown that the overall crime rate has been dropping, however the amount of crimes commited by youths has skyrocketed.

This is an issue.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Name-calling and verbal abuse, chiding us idiots for wasting your time and harassing for not agreeing with you, claiming ownership of a thread's contents because you originally posted it (in search of like-mindedness?) is the way a mature person acts?

Allow me to correct your misunderstanding:

I don't throw out insults to anybody in here unless they're thrown at me first.... I was called a moron, so I returned with Idiot..... fair is fair. If people don't like the petty insults, then don't start them up in the first place.

I know you didn't insult me so far in this thread, which is why I have yet to insult you.... respect is given where respect is earned. I keep the issues in one thread in that thread, and when talking to someone else in another topic, unless they start it up again, I will keep it civil.

I find it kinda hypocritical when people insult me, then I insult them back, and then some how I'm the bad guy.

I have never looked for an ass-kisser. I am not a yes man and I sure as hell wouldn't want you as a buddy. They're the people I can trust enough to walk behind me with a loaded gun.

BTW ... you just proved my point.

How so? Nothing in what you quoted from me was insulting, it was just straight forward and to the point, nothing more, nothing less.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Agreed ... on all personal counts.

I can see where the girl was justified in a good ol' cat fight ... but kidnap? Gang assault? Torture? These are kids completely out of control. Why? Kids have no respect. They know their rights ... and how parental rights mean absolutely nothing. I don't hold with child abuse - nor do I hold with some theory that says my kid will be traumatized if I spank his/her butt.

My kids are 31, 25 and 24 and they got their butts smacked when really needed. I can count the number of times it happened without taking my shoes off ... and they'll tell you the same as me: They learned limits.

See, everything there you said, I can completely agree with. I too got a good ol whoopin when I did something stupid, and I'll be the first to admit, that I had it coming... and how.

And I learned from it. If I don't want bad things to happen to me.... don't do (insert thing I shouldn't do)