Canadian soldier's body on its way home

CBC News

House Member
Sep 26, 2006
www.cbc.ca
The body of a soldier from Nova Scotia began its trip home from Afghanistan on Wednesday, while investigators continue to probe how his death occurred at Kandahar Airfield.

More...

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
A tribute to a fallen hero

A choice made in patriotic youth - to do something for your nation - to do the good thing you believed in....

It has not turned into the satisfaction you had dreamed of and now you will sleep the sleep of the blessed wounded warrior......unfulfilled but honored by those who understand and know. Mourned by those who knew and loved you.

Thank you. May we never forget the sacrifices made.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Curiosity

If that were the case I'd support your contention.... I'm afraid I'm far too jaded to believe that this is the case however. No young man has the benefit of experience and familiarity with the corruption and in-fighting that generates the "need" for self-sacrifice in the name of something larger than him or herself...

We live in a culture that lionizes and celebrates violence and mayhem...we have video games that teach children the wonder and potential "romance" of war and destruction...

That any person is sacrificed for a pipeline or a lie generated out of a corrupt government is a crime and no government has ever been held accountable for that crime.

We've had black men dying in foreign lands who couldn't drink from a fountain intended for white's only...we've had native Americans and Canadians dying in foreign lands for a government and a people that relegate them to second-class citizenship...we've sent young people to die in wars to protect the rights of the wealthy while the families of these sacrificial lambs fight insurance companies for settlements denied them....some freedom to be fought for isn't it.....?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What makes you think that??

I'll tell you why. I think they know who did it. I think they know it was a Canadian soldier. They have alluded to that. I think they also know that when there was a US-Canadian blue on blue they (Canada) wanted the heads of the pilots immediatlely.

Now they have egg on their face because it has happened to them and the negligent party is one of their own. Do they want to crucify the Canadian soldier? Of course not. Should they? Of course not unless he did it on purpose which I doubt.

So it is better to let this story fade away and ignore the tragic incident or look like the hypocrits that they truly are.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Mickey

You would even mock a sincere effort at something kind to write about the slain soldier?

I am so sorry.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I'll tell you why. I think they know who did it. I think they know it was a Canadian soldier. They have alluded to that. I think they also know that when there was a US-Canadian blue on blue they (Canada) wanted the heads of the pilots immediatlely.

Now they have egg on their face because it has happened to them and the negligent party is one of their own. Do they want to crucify the Canadian soldier? Of course not. Should they? Of course not unless he did it on purpose which I doubt.

So it is better to let this story fade away and ignore the tragic incident or look like the hypocrits that they truly are.
I think that's pretty speculative at this early stage. We shall see. I disagree that it will go away. I think things are very different in Canada than they are in the US...these things are pursued....the public is pretty demanding in that they want answers...they want to know. We don't have the soldier deaths that occur in the US, so when these things happen they seem to touch Canadians more, and so when something like this happens...people want answers.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Curiosity

I wasn't intending to mock anyone. If the exercise of mockery were elevated to the heights of disingenuous destruction and the necessity of wars based on economics...then yes mockery becomes the currency of the day.

Where is your sympathy for those who've been sacrificed by the wealthy white power structure?

Where is your sympathy for those who've paid the price for multi-millionaire multi-nationals who've arm-twisted governments into "necessary" military interventions?

Half a lie is still a lie...

Reactions: snfu73

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Start your own thread then Mickey if you insist on having a tantrum....

This one isn't about you and your thoughts at all... it's about the slain soldier.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Start your own thread then Mickey if you insist on having a tantrum....

This one isn't about you and your thoughts at all... it's about the slain soldier.
Tantrum???? What the hell are you talking about. I think Micky presented a very well thought out arguement, and some top notch ideas. I didn't see any HINT of a tantrum. And...this is a thread that started out from a news story...it's open to interpretation and it is open to taking twists and turns. He presented his points. He did nothing wrong. Why are you acting like this???

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Oh my oh my am I in the wrong place????

There is another one where everyone is arguing that the U.S. military shot this poor guy.....

I thought this particular thread might be an homage to the slain soldier

That is what I am going on about.... and you have now joined Mikey in your complete disregard or respect.....

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Oh my oh my am I in the wrong place????

There is another one where everyone is arguing that the U.S. military shot this poor guy.....

I thought this particular thread might be an homage to the slain soldier

That is what I am going on about.... and you have now joined Mikey in your complete disregard or respect.....
Uhhhh....nooooo....I think what you said is from your perspective and is very valid....and what micky said is from his perspective is very valid.

Again...public forum...people are not ALL going to share your view. He gave his opinion and viewpoint, and you have presented yours. Both are quite legitimate.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Why is it ok to hijack a thread to get a point across SNFU

Is it so important that you and Mickey be heard? You have to infect what could have been a kindness instead of yet another attack expounding personal opinion....it isn't all about you.... there's plenty of room for you and Mickey to make your mark.

As I said before - start another topic thread and do the oratorical deed..... why not just leave this thread alone for a bit of a memorial.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Curiosity

For whom exactly did you initiate this thread?

Do you honestly believe that the family of this unfortunate will be participating at CC?

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Why is it ok to hijack a thread to get a point across SNFU

Is it so important that you and Mickey be heard? You have to infect what could have been a kindness instead of yet another attack expounding personal opinion....it isn't all about you.... there's plenty of room for you and Mickey to make your mark.

As I said before - start another topic thread and do the oratorical deed..... why not just leave this thread alone for a bit of a memorial.
Dude...what the hell are you talking about? What part of me telling you that the opinion that you expressed was valid did you not get? I don't think this thread has been hijacked...it started out as an article that talked about a number of issues related to the incident...not just how brave this guy was and how we should honour him. You presented your thoughts, and like I said, they were very valid and very honourable. However, micky had a differing opinion, and stated that he has that differing opinion because he sees himself as more jaded. Sooooo...I don't understand the problem. This isn't specifically a memorial thread....a memorial thread would probably be entitled something like "Memorial thread for the fallen Canadian Soldier". You can use this thread to post your memorial, and you have, and that is great...but to say that someone cannot post their opinion is...well...not great. I think micky expressed a very valid opinion, and I think that posting it in this thread was very appropriate. I'm not seeing the issue here.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Who is? And what does that mean??? Pots and kettles?? I'm not even in the kitchen!

ZING!

Okay, that joke pretty much sucked.

Well you knew the pot called the kettle black don't you. Everybody's make great points yet everybody is sort of ranting about the others. No biggie. I think we should honour the fallen soldier even if the war is unjust. But the fact still remains the war is unjust. Sort of a catch 22 thingy. Not really an upside.:wave: