Teen who stabbed girlfriend 104 times gets life sentence

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
By QMI Agency

A Nova Scotia teenager who stabbed his girlfriend 104 times has been sentenced to life in prison.
Melvin Skeete Jr., now 18, was 16 when he stabbed his girlfriend Brittany Green to death in 2010.
Because Skeete was sentenced as an adult, a publication ban on his name was lifted. Judge Anne Derrick also lifted the publication ban on Green's name.
He was found guilty of second-degree murder in August.
Skeete will eligible for parole in five years, because he's already served two years.
When he left the courtroom after sentencing, Skeete reportedly said "f--k the judge, f--k the police, f--k the system."

During his trial, he said he didn't remember stabbing the girl because he'd been popping prescription pills and doing shots of moonshine that day.
"I am satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that he intended to kill the victim, an intent he formed notwithstanding his intoxicated condition," the judge said.

Teen who stabbed girlfriend 104 times gets life sentence - Crime - Canoe.ca

You know, you read the title of the article and think "Aha, finally. Strong sentence for a severe crime!". And then you read
Skeete will eligible for parole in five years, because he's already served two years.
Maybe he should try these words of remorse and contrition at his parole hearing.

"f--k the judge, f--k the police, f--k the system."
This guy could very well be out sooner than the ten year old that shot his abusive, violent father in California. Does that seem off to anyone else?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
By QMI Agency

A Nova Scotia teenager who stabbed his girlfriend 104 times has been sentenced to life in prison.
Melvin Skeete Jr., now 18, was 16 when he stabbed his girlfriend Brittany Green to death in 2010.
Because Skeete was sentenced as an adult, a publication ban on his name was lifted. Judge Anne Derrick also lifted the publication ban on Green's name.
He was found guilty of second-degree murder in August.
When he left the courtroom after sentencing, Skeete reportedly said "f--k the judge, f--k the police, f--k the system."

The kid is a brat no doubt, if he can't be rehabillitated, he's likely to be a burden on the taxpayer for a long time. An anger management course might be a good start. As a juvenile I would think he should do at the very least ten years, before there is ANY eligibility for parole! If I was the judge I probably would have doubled the sentence after his outburst!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The kid is a brat no doubt, if he can't be rehabillitated, he's likely to be a burden on the taxpayer for a long time. An anger management course might be a good start. As a juvenile I would think he should do at the very least ten years, before there is ANY eligibility for parole! If I was the judge I probably would have doubled the sentence after his outburst!

Juxtapose it with the 12 year old boy in California who, granted is going to a juvenile detention facility whereas this guy is going to adult prison, still won't see freedom for 11 years. This guy, while it's not guaranteed, is eligible for parole after 5 years. Both have taken a life. Compare back stories, "reasons", situations. Is something not rotten in the state of Denmark?

I know we're talking about different justice systems, different countries but still, food for thought.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Juxtapose it with the 12 year old boy in California who, granted is going to a juvenile detention facility whereas this guy is going to adult prison, still won't see freedom for 11 years. This guy, while it's not guaranteed, is eligible for parole after 5 years. Both have taken a life. Compare back stories, "reasons", situations. Is something not rotten in the state of Denmark?

I know we're talking about different justice systems, different countries but still, food for thought.

Yep, I think both the U.S. and Canada could both move toward a "happy medium" where sentencing for crimes is concerned!

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
If he committed this crime in Saudi Arabia, he'd have been beheaded by now.

Saudi Arabia has beheaded a Sri Lankan domestic worker for killing a baby in her care in 2005 in a case that has been widely condemned by rights groups. The maid, Rizana Nafeek, had denied killing the four-month-old boy. Her supporters say she was only 17 at the time of the killing.
BBC News - Sri Lankan maid Rizana Nafeek beheaded in Saudi Arabia

Fact is he committed the crime in Canada and Canadian law applies.

Also I agree with giving judges leeway to use their judgement.

...Derrick had to determine whether Skeete would be sentenced as an adult and receive a life sentence with parole eligibility after serving seven years — his parole eligibility began at the date of his incarceration, just over two years ago — or a youth sentence of four years in custody and three years under community supervision. She noted Skeete had taken some positive steps while detained at the Waterville youth facility, including undergoing substance abuse and anger management programs, and pursuing his high school education.

“However, despite Melvin’s steps in the right direction, his willingness to engage in addressing his deeply rooted issues, I am unable to find in the evidence a basis for being satisfied that he can be held to account under a youth sentence,” Derrick said.

It took Derrick more than two hours to read her 55-page decision.
The court had heard that Skeete had significant anti-social behaviour and mental health issues dating back to early childhood and began abusing drugs as early as age 12. He was under the influence of drugs and alcohol when he stabbed Green to death. Derrick ruled that a youth sentence wouldn’t allow enough time to rehabilitate Skeete. Under a youth sentence, in four years he would be released into the community under conditions that failed to manage his behaviour in the past. His premature release into the community would heighten the potential for Skeete relapsing into behaviour and choices that would put the public at risk, she said.

“To be satisfied that a youth sentence will have sufficient length to hold Melvin to account, I would have to have confidence that his rehabilitation can be achieved in the time available — seven years,” Derrick said...

Teen sounds off, sentenced to life for stabbing girlfriend over 100 times | Metro

A horrific crime, but young people are considered redeemable. No sentence could return the victim to her family or heal their pain.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I won't have a problem paroling murders within five/seven years right after we learn to resurrect the victims.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And to add to that, if we are going to let murders out after five years, we'd best fix them first rather than punish them to such a degree that they come out amongst us as angry, bitter and unable to function within our society.

Maybe that is one of the justifications for shorter sentencing, inability to become a decent functioning citizen when incarcerated for too long. Beats me. He took a young life, he'd best be able to contribute in a BIG way or to me.... meh, I'd best not voice my next thought.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I wouldn't presume to understand this case as well as the Judge who wrote a 55 page judgement.

I don't think any punishment fitting this crime is possible. Her judgement appears to be about the criminal's possible redemption. My problem with this sentence is that this young person will serve time with adults. This young person is likely to experience assault and rape while in prison. IMO, that experience would increase the likelihood that this person will still be a risk to society when they have finally done their time. A juvenile facility has better counseling services. If we are going to release young people after shorter sentences, then their time in prison should be focused on rehabilitation, instead of just counting the days as they pass while training to become a better criminal. That means they should be treated differently than adult criminals who are beyond redemption.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I think right I might have been "okay, give him a chance" up to the point where he said : "f--k the judge, f--k the police, f--k the system." This kid has no respect and the moment that outburst was heard the Judge should have held him in contempt and revoked that two year served from his sentence.

He's 18; I don't care how bad his childhood was, after two years he should understand now just how serious a crime he did and show at least some respect if not remorse.

This kid gets out he probably won't be long before he goes back in, wasting our money and time.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
We don't have a justice system. What we have is a catch and release system that is open to abuse and does little to protect the innocent but puts millions of tax dollars in the pockets of high paid lawyers, judges, police, social workers. Just consider it job security for public employees because that is the only security in the system.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O"Skeete will eligible for parole in five years, because he's already served two years.""

Seven years for murder.

Way to go judge.

F... the police.........???8O......etc!!!

True Canadian justice. :canada:

We stand on guard for fukk all.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
8O"Skeete will eligible for parole in five years, because he's already served two years.""

Seven years for murder.

Way to go judge.

F... the police.........???8O......etc!!!

True Canadian justice. :canada:

We stand on guard for fukk all.
and at 104 stabs you wouldn't say he was filled with much rage... hope he moves into their neighbourhood

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Whatever else his sentence includes, it definitely should include lots of hard labour, preferably next to a big mean bastard with a whip. Know when I get mad a few hours on the wood pile tends to simmer me down! -:) A course in using respectful language to one's superiors might be in order too. -:)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Skeete... now that's a tough handle to have in prison. (Urban dictionary 'skeet' for yourselves if you don't get it, so I don't tick Andem off with the vulgarity of it).

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I think right I might have been "okay, give him a chance" up to the point where he said : "f--k the judge, f--k the police, f--k the system." This kid has no respect and the moment that outburst was heard the Judge should have held him in contempt and revoked that two year served from his sentence.

He's 18; I don't care how bad his childhood was, after two years he should understand now just how serious a crime he did and show at least some respect if not remorse.

This kid gets out he probably won't be long before he goes back in, wasting our money and time.

Confirming he still has anger management problems and still doesn't understand the seriousness of his crime.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Confirming he still has anger management problems and still doesn't understand the seriousness of his crime.
and needs a serious evaluation to determine if he is a psychopath and if he is...no release just a transfer