Boy Scout den leader dismissed for being a lesbian

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Jennifer Tyrrell, an Ohio den leader dismissed by her local Boy Scout troop for being a lesbian, said she's disappointed her 7-year-old son is no longer participating in the Scouts.
"He's no longer a Boy Scout," Tyrrell said Wednesday of removing her son, Cruz, from the group. "And we're sad about that, but we can't support an organization that doesn't support our family."
Tyrrell is now engaged in a campaign with Change.org, a left-leaning political group, to raise awareness of the policy of the Boy Scouts of America, garnering 140,000 signatures and saying that she ultimately wants the national organization to reverse its position.

Boy Scout den leader dismissed for being a lesbian | News - Home

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Rather odd; what threat does a lesbian pose? To Boy Scouts!

They didn't seem to have issues with pedophiles in the past, but a lesbian isn't allowed around young boys? Does anyone at the Boy Scouts actually understand anything?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
obviously not. Also, note that they don't allow gay men as leaders either.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Man, every time I think we've turned a corner, finally, on these issues something else comes along to show just how backward thinking a lot of people still are.

It's so bizarre to me, how some people go on and on about 'gay rights' and how it's about catering to special interest groups. Can they not see it's about discrimination?

I honestly do not understand how people can be so obtuse.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"Forcing a group to accept certain members may impair the ability of the group to express those views, and only those views, that it intends to express," then-Chief Justice William Rehnquist wrote at the time. He added that the decision was not meant to approve or condemn the Scouts' view on homosexuality.

The Boy Scouts of America said in a statement that its "membership standards are founded on the values, expectations and beliefs of those we serve."

"We recognize that there will be a range of views on this topic, and Scouting's policy is not meant as a social commentary outside of our program," Boy Scouts of America spokesman Deron Smith said.
Seems reasonable.

The Girl Scouts of America has a decades-old policy of nondiscrimination.
Well there you go. She can be a Girl Scout leader and enroll him in Girl Scouts.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Man, every time I think we've turned a corner, finally, on these issues something else comes along to show just how backward thinking a lot of people still are.

It's so bizarre to me, how some people go on and on about 'gay rights' and how it's about catering to special interest groups. Can they not see it's about discrimination?

I honestly do not understand how people can be so obtuse.

If you have noted that gay Marriage is the first step. It is and or will be recognized by a number of US States in the next few years.
Then the next step will be to the SCC. Then a number of laws will be changed. It was recently upheld that discriminating against Trans Gender is against the law. It is a start. But the US has Marriage as a State Law.

It will change. But as I mentioned according to the US law this is legal.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If you have noted that gay Marriage is the first step. It is and or will be recognized by a number of US States in the next few years.
Then the next step will be to the SCC. Then a number of laws will be changed. It was recently upheld that discriminating against Trans Gender is against the law. It is a start. But the US has Marriage as a State Law.

It will change. But as I mentioned according to the US law this is legal.

Yes, that's right. I was speaking more of attitudes in general though.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
All democracies do not walk or change laws at the same time. For the US it will come sooner than most expect.

Lol. I'm not know for my patience. :)

It's just that these issues affect people I know and care very deeply for. Not the boy scout issue in particular, but the discrimination in general. It's difficult for me to see or read these cold statements and try to reconcile it with the very warm people that I know. It just doesn't fit.

Sigh. I wonder if it was this frustrating living through the civil rights movements.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes, that's right. I was speaking more of attitudes in general though.
What attitudes?

It's a moral position. The Boy Scouts have a moral position against homosexuality in their leadership. So do several mainstream Churches. I don't agree with their position, but I equally don't agree with forcing those organizations to adhere to a moral code that is counter to their core program.

If people are so put off by their moral values, they are free to not enroll their children.

If enough people do that, The Boy Scouts will either modify their moral codes, or fold.

But the choice should be theirs in this case, participation is completely voluntary.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Nuts.

"On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times; <I guess they forgot that part>
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."

"Boy Scout Law

A Scout is:

Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean,
and Reverent."

I guess they forgot about the helpful, friendly, courteous, and kind parts, too. Or perhaps it only applies to the scouts and not the higher-ups.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What attitudes?

It's a moral position. The Boy Scouts have a moral position against homosexuality in their leadership. So do several mainstream Churches. I don't agree with their position, but I equally don't agree with forcing those organizations to adhere to a moral code that is counter to their core program.

If people are so put off by their moral values, they are free to not enroll their children.

If enough people do that, The Boy Scouts will either modify their moral codes, or fold.

But the choice should be theirs in this case, participation is completely voluntary.

Question - Is that position legal in Canada?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
What attitudes?

The attitudes that I referenced in my first post. I'm lamenting more the fact that those attitudes, homophobic and bigoted attitudes, are still raising their heads. As I would lament the fact in any other thread about any group who largely still faces prejudice and bigotry in our society.

I'm not advocating that we force them to do anything. I would never do that.

I too, obviously, disagree vehemently with their moral position. I feel that it's outdated and so therefore perhaps the organization itself has become outdated. And that's too bad because, outdated moral values aside, it has been a organization that has provided great experiences for children for many years.

I think their moral values are shameful. I believe strongly in speaking out against such attitudes.

I'm not suggesting we storm the gates. lol

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The attitudes that I referenced in my first post. I'm lamenting more the fact that those attitudes, homophobic and bigoted attitudes, are still raising their heads. As I would lament the fact in any other thread about any group who largely still faces prejudice and bigotry in our society.

I'm not advocating that we force them to do anything. I would never do that.

I too, obviously, disagree vehemently with their moral position. I feel that it's outdated and so therefore perhaps the organization itself has become outdated. And that's too bad because, outdated moral values aside, it has been a organization that has provided great experiences for children for many years.

I think their moral values are shameful. I believe strongly in speaking out against such attitudes.

And we in Canada only changed the Laws recently. Many in Canada hold the same moral beliefs that many in the US do.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And we in Canada only changed the Laws recently. Many in Canada hold the same moral beliefs that many in the US do.

See now I really don't believe that it's all that many. Not really. I think like with pretty much anything else, it's a small group of really loud people that make the most noise.

I think that most people, who's lives it just simple does not affect, for them it's just not on their radar. At least not every day. People that don't really think about it all that much.

The problem, as I see it, is that the vocal minority make a lot of noise about 'gay rights' and 'special interest' and those in the majority that maybe don't pay attention too much, well they could pay attention to that. And start to maybe believe it. Without really thinking about it of course.

That's why I feel like it's so important to speak out against it. But it is wearying. Sometimes. Because it can kind of feel like a losing battle. I don't believe it is a losing battle, but it can feel that way.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I guess they forgot about the helpful, friendly, courteous, and kind parts, too. Or perhaps it only applies to the scouts and not the higher-ups.
One does not have to accept someones sexuality to be helpful, friendly, courteous or kind to them.

Question - Is that position legal in Canada?
As far as I know, illegal. That doesn't change my position.

Legislation, would be just that. Non?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
One does not have to accept someones sexuality to be helpful, friendly, courteous or kind to them.

As far as I know, illegal. That doesn't change my position.

Legislation, would be just that. Non?

Would legislation be storing the gates or recognizing we are all different from race, colr, creed, sexual orientation - but we are equal under the law.

I do not call that storming the gates. Every law of such a contentious nature will be repugnant to some, but to others it is the right to be free of hate and discrimination.